underwater caches

do you own or have you found any underwater caches,

what was used as the container, and how was / is it holding up to the environment?

Im thinking about sinking my second underwater cache, the first one was a bpa free nalgene roped and carabeinerd to a cinderblock which was attached to the dock it was placed under by a nylon tie line, had it not been muggled due to obvious yellow on brown rope, and the later found out high concentration of snorklers in the area, it would have lasted quite some time...

the next cache I hide, will be a plastic tuperware pitcher, with a screw on lid, which i am going to make a line on from cap to bottle, so people know how far it needs to be screwed on to keep it dry, im tying a weight on to the handle so its weighed down from the outside and more room is left open on the inside for swag. then im tying a lengthy piece of black nylon rope to the handle, long enough to make the journey form the surface to the bottom twice, (just in case) then im tying a piece or two of fishing line to the black rope and securing this barely able to be seen fishing line to a nail of some sort and pounding that inbetween some rocks near the shore, then marking the area where the line is with a black dot, and informing the cachers on the cache page under the hint section to look near the black dot for some invisable string and pull on it.

we shall see how long this holds up, but just as a back up protective measure, the log will be inside a ziplock baggie, or perhaps a small second waterproof container,

do you own or have you found any underwater caches,

what was used as the container, and how was / is it holding up to the environment?

Im thinking about sinking my second underwater cache, the first one was a bpa free nalgene roped and carabeinerd to a cinderblock which was attached to the dock it was placed under by a nylon tie line, had it not been muggled due to obvious yellow on brown rope, and the later found out high concentration of snorklers in the area, it would have lasted quite some time...

the next cache I hide, will be a plastic tuperware pitcher, with a screw on lid, which i am going to make a line on from cap to bottle, so people know how far it needs to be screwed on to keep it dry, im tying a weight on to the handle so its weighed down from the outside and more room is left open on the inside for swag. then im tying a lengthy piece of black nylon rope to the handle, long enough to make the journey form the surface to the bottom twice, (just in case) then im tying a piece or two of fishing line to the black rope and securing this barely able to be seen fishing line to a nail of some sort and pounding that inbetween some rocks near the shore, then marking the area where the line is with a black dot, and informing the cachers on the cache page under the hint section to look near the black dot for some invisable string and pull on it.

we shall see how long this holds up, but just as a back up protective measure, the log will be inside a ziplock baggie, or perhaps a small second waterproof container,

I would stay away from the tupperware container. Try a Pelican case (pricey but good) with maybe a lock and lock for swag inside it? and water proof paper?

Sounds like an interesting idea as long as it is well thought out.

Edited by brslk

I'm hiding an unpublished cache this morning in a water feature at a local shopping center. Its a canning jar weighted down with marbles with the instruction of where our Fathers Day Brunch will be held taped to the inside (Doesn't have to be opened) These coords will be sent to 4 children with 11 grandchildren in a few minutes.

(Since my kids don't read this forum I'll post the coords here and someone can tell me where its at with Google Earth)

N 33 41.077 W 117 10.505

Edited by theclarks_2

hmm.....

Ive heard ammo cans are fairly waterproof, but arnt they made of metal which rusts?

They will rust, yes. But depending upon environment ( salt v fresh) it is a TIME consideration. Usually when submerged in fresh water it will probably outlast your lifespan. Whether it leaks or not, that is a different problem. :)

well... its fresh water, but its in a city maintained lake, which im sure has some additives in it, the water is like teal color, im not sure why, maybe there are no additives in it, who knows for sure, but ill try an ammo can, this sounds like the best idea, course you all say to hide it in a lock and lock insiude the ammo can just in case eh? this sounds like a good idea.

now all i need to do is get an ammo can, and figure out who to ask for permission to place this cache in the park, cause anyone seeing some random geocachers pulling an ammo can out of the lake, and tossing it back in is bound to call the authorities...

Try a Pelican case (pricey but good) with maybe a lock and lock for swag inside it? and water proof paper?

Pelican cases are not suitable for underwater caches, as they are not waterproof in that situation.

I like the Nalgene held by a carabiner; I have one like that. But it needs to be hidden so that it will not be muggled. Mine is about 15 feet underwater floating above the bottom (about 50 feet down) in a lake with 5 foot visibility. My only problem has been fishermen accidentally snagging it.

I just made an underwater cache where I took a 1 1/2 in PVC pipe, glued an end cap on one end and used one of these expansion plugs on the other.prod_433341204a3d8_EP6_EP1_rgb.jpg.png

The plug is used to open and close the container. It seems to be working well but it relies on each cacher tightening the plug properly after each retrieval. You can buy these plugs in many sizes at Home Depot depending on what size pipe you would like to use. I placed another container inside to hold the log just in case any moisture gets inside the PVC pipe.

I'm hiding an unpublished cache this morning in a water feature at a local shopping center. Its a canning jar weighted down with marbles with the instruction of where our Fathers Day Brunch will be held taped to the inside (Doesn't have to be opened) These coords will be sent to 4 children with 11 grandchildren in a few minutes.

(Since my kids don't read this forum I'll post the coords here and someone can tell me where its at with Google Earth)

N 33 41.077 W 117 10.505

Newport and Haun Road

Yellow Basket

N 33 41.077 W 117 10.505

Newport and Haun Road

Yellow Basket

Close! Google Earth didn't agree with my GPSr. Across the street (south) the pond is right on the corner and you can see it with Google Earth. Everyone had a great time, my wife and I observed from a StarBucks nearby.

Has anyone thought of a 3" sewer Pipe with a solid cap on one end and a screw cap on the other? Weight it down with some rocks and tie a rope on it and it should work. Paint it black for darker water and you would have a good hide.

Lots of people have thought of this. They don't work. PVC screw caps leak like a sieve. In less than a day it will be full of water.

I have an underwater cache like

0001871354252_215X215.jpg

I have a small brick tied to the hook on the lid. I have it tossed 15 feet or so out in a pond. The rope you pull it in on is hid about 1 foot underwater off shore. Its not very big but works for a log. Local cachers seem to enjoy it for the most part. I live in an area where this pond will freeze though so it will be inactive at times of year. Been out about a month so far and still dry.