micro cache saturation by one cacher...

mchaos

But then I also read the cache page description before I look for them.

I do too, and can read them on my GPS at the site, but its too bad the CO doesn't put much into his descriptions either :laughing:

EDIT: I am not going to quote, but they are some thing like this... (Micro along trail just off to side. Container is a 35mm film canister.) Maybe a few more words then that, but that's about the extent of information you get.

Thats all you need to read...

If I see the words "a black and grey cammoed" etc... then I am really gone.

Some day I will find a ...err... hmm.. that just gave me a thought!

I am going to hide a Large water proof jar with a screw on lid that has the bottom painted black and the lid gray!

"the crappiest, biggest film canister you have ever found!"

I shall work on this tomorrow.

Would it be wrong to classify it as a micro? even if the actual log was placed inside the large container inside an actual gray and black film container? maybe even toss in an old exposed 35mm roll of film?

Edited by brslk
I am going to hide a Large water proof jar with a screw on lid that has the bottom painted black and the lid gray!

"the crappiest, biggest film canister you have ever found!"

I shall work on this tomorrow.

You should put a tiny lamppost inside of it! Now that would be a switch! :laughing:

Oh thank you sir for contributing to my idea.

hmm... The title... A lamp post micro hidden inside a film canister.

That's a really good idea!

I wouldn't mark it micro, even if just a log only. I'd mark it unknown. Throw them for a loop. I'd glue a model rail road lamp to the inside of the cap so when the open it, they see the lamp post.

I would just call it Micro Lamp post Hide.

then inside I would say, "The canister is a black Film can with a gray lid."

I would actually love to hide one like this my self. Its an excellent Idea. It would sure get some chuckles.

That's a really good idea!

I wouldn't mark it micro, even if just a log only. I'd mark it unknown. Throw them for a loop. I'd glue a model rail road lamp to the inside of the cap so when the open it, they see the lamp post.

I would just call it Micro Lamp post Hide.

then inside I would say, "The canister is a black Film can with a gray lid."

I would actually love to hide one like this my self. Its an excellent Idea. It would sure get some chuckles.

And thank you mchaos. I was wondering where I would get a little lamp post... the model rail road idea is brilliant!

I should have thought of that.

Well I hope you wouldn't mind me creating one around here as well. Its a great idea.

EDIT: At first thought, 5 gallon bucket may work, but then I thought the proportions aren't quite right. Gotta find the right container to make into one.

Edited by mchaos

I had thought about the 5 gallon bucket idea also. It's still an option though :P . Not trying to promote one of my own hides here but I do have one called LAME NANO (GC1DH8V). The logs are usually fun to read.

Back on topic though, we have a cacher that has saturated out area in nanos, but at least some of them have some history (a plaque, mural, etc.) or a view attached with them. Some are just there...well... because they are there. What bothers me about some of them though is the way they are rated. 2.5 terrain and 2-3 diff. for a PNG? There are two that you can literally reach from the drivers seat with the door open. He has (I believe) around 400 hides and has flooded my area and other cities also. IMHO... Don't place a hide just because there isn't another one within 528'. If you are a serial hider then be responsible and take care of your hides. After 3 DNF's or if someone says the log is full then go and check on it or replace it in a timely manner. If it is too far away from home or you don't have time, then maybe you shouldn't have placed it in the first place.

I'll never fault him for it. We all play the game our own way. There are numbers hounds, serial hiders, great caches, and bad ones too. It's like a bag of jelly beans. You can complain all you want, but the jelly bean company isn't going to quit putting the licorice flavored jelly beans in the bag just because YOU don't like them. Some people like the licorice ones.

Edited by hat_man

I'll never fault him for it. We all play the game our own way. There are numbers hounds, serial hiders, great caches, and bad ones too. It's like a bag of jelly beans. You can complain all you want, but the jelly bean company isn't going to quit putting the licorice flavored jelly beans in the bag just because YOU don't like them. Some people like the licorice ones.

I think this is one of the best quotes I've ever seen. :P

Is a micro somehow less worthy than a larger cache with junk inside? Not much difference in my estimation.

If you're eleven I'd say definitely.

How long the novelty value of tubs of junk will last remains to be seen but my son is more excited when the cache is "a real one with stuff inside" than a roll of paper, (and similarly more excited when the cache is larger like a ammo can or similar)

I think this is one of the best quotes I've ever seen. :P

Not at all, in my opinion. Never liked the ice cream analogy, or now the new jelly bean analogy. Those Jelly beans our made out of the same quality incredients, with a shot of food coloring and flavor added to make them "different". I do not equate a free film canister with a soggy log in a store parking lot and an ammo box along a hiking trail to be "different, but equal".

How long the novelty value of tubs of junk will last remains to be seen but my son is more excited when the cache is "a real one with stuff inside" than a roll of paper, (and similarly more excited when the cache is larger like a ammo can or similar)

Shoot I'm more excited about tubs of junk than micros. I might not take the junk but I certainly love to go through the junk as well as have the off chances to find path tags, geocoins and travel bugs. And I'm well into adulthood.

I have a small tub of junk I've traded for.

I haven't got my seniors discount card yet, but I think I qualify and I agree with the boy and with Chokecherry. I have a display in my cubicle of the fun "junk" I've found in geocaches. When I crack open a cache there's always the anticipation that there might just be something to add to my chotch·ke collection of realistic plastic animals and handcrafted items.

fingerpuppets.jpg

plasticanimals.jpg

Edited by Lone R

Cute, but the truth is, if enough people complain about the licorce ones, they will stop including them.

Or, if one person finds them offensive and gets a lawyer, well... :P

If you're eleven I'd say definitely.

I haven't seen 11 in several decades, which, according to your logic should make me inclined to prefer micros. Not even remotely close. Although I almost never trade, (opting instead to just leave a few kewl trinkets), I still thoroughly enjoy pawing through swag, just to see what's in there. If all I find is some broken McToys and a handful of old business cards, I'm still happy.

Shoot I'm more excited about tubs of junk than micros. I might not take the junk but I certainly love to go through the junk as well as have the off chances to find path tags, geocoins and travel bugs. And I'm well into adulthood.

I have a small tub of junk I've traded for.

I haven't got my seniors discount card yet, but I think I qualify and I agree with the boy and with Chokecherry. I have a display in my cubicle of the fun "junk" I've found in geocaches. When I crack open a cache there's always the anticipation that there might just be something to add to my chotch·ke collection of realistic plastic animals and handcrafted items.

fingerpuppets.jpg

plasticanimals.jpg

I'm so excited you call it tchotchke's as well. I collect path tags and pins from caches. Put the pins on my purse. I have some stuff stuck on my bulletin board at work too. I might not find anything good in a cache but I love just going through the stuff and being able to leave some stuff.

I'm so excited you call it tchotchke's as well. I collect path tags and pins from caches. Put the pins on my purse. I have some stuff stuck on my bulletin board at work too. I might not find anything good in a cache but I love just going through the stuff and being able to leave some stuff.

Hear, hear. While micros *can be* fun and have their uses, to me finding the swag-ables ones is the biggest thrill. I always leave something (once I got a modicum of experience and knew what kind of stuff to leave), rarely take, but I do like going through it. A couple of times I've noticed a person who found the cache after me mentioning that the took the item I left, and that's always a charge, too. :huh:

--Q

I'm not a fan of swag (maybe when my son gets older & goes out caching with me, that'll change) but I love moving trackables. Most TBs & coins won't fit in a micro, which leaves me holding trackables for several weeks until I have a chance to go after a larger cache or drive by a TB Hotel.

Add me to the "I filter out micros" crowd. I also ignore caches that I know to be micros that are listed as "other" or "not chosen/unknown".

I've noticed that "unknowns" tend to be nanos. I've also noticed that Altoids containers have been slowly transitioning into the "small" category. So smalls these days are what used to be micros...
Add me to the "I filter out micros" crowd. I also ignore caches that I know to be micros that are listed as "other" or "not chosen/unknown".

I've noticed that "unknowns" tend to be nanos. I've also noticed that Altoids containers have been slowly transitioning into the "small" category. So smalls these days are what used to be micros...

The reason I do this is because of one certain cacher in our area. He has an abundance of micro sized caches -most typical bison tube size- that are listed as "not chosen/unknown".

That's fine if he wants to do that. It's not unheard of.

Most of his caches that I've found had drippy/mushy logs.

Not a crime. Happens to us all.

More than one of his have had permission issues.

Nobody's perfect.

Sometimes his come up missing. Of these and the ones with the soggy logs he tends to ignore "Needs Maintenance" logs or doesn't clear out the attribute when the problem is fixed. Some of these end up being fixed by the community instead of by the owner.

Not the end of the world.

Combine all these factors and you get a great many caches that I don't really want to go looking for. 90% or more are micros, but since they are listed as "not chosen/unknown" they bypass the filter. Since there is no one-click-ignore-all-caches-by-user I can't do that. GSAK is great, but I'd rather have a PQ with caches in it that I know I'll potentially want to seek than to get a PQ and then strip out a large percentage of the data. I'd add all the "not chosen/unknown" caches to my PQ filter, but there is a great series of caches that are listed as such that I've enjoyed finding and caches by other users listed as such that I want to find.

I don't have a problem with the individual, but I don't want to hunt his caches. I add them to my ignore list because it's the only solution that addresses my preferences.

The reason I do this is because of one certain cacher in our area. He has an abundance of micro sized caches -most typical bison tube size- that are listed as "not chosen/unknown".

That's fine if he wants to do that. It's not unheard of.

Most of his caches that I've found had drippy/mushy logs.

Not a crime. Happens to us all.

More than one of his have had permission issues.

Nobody's perfect.

Sometimes his come up missing. Of these and the ones with the soggy logs he tends to ignore "Needs Maintenance" logs or doesn't clear out the attribute when the problem is fixed. Some of these end up being fixed by the community instead of by the owner.

Not the end of the world.

Combine all these factors and you get a great many caches that I don't really want to go looking for. 90% or more are micros, but since they are listed as "not chosen/unknown" they bypass the filter. Since there is no one-click-ignore-all-caches-by-user I can't do that. GSAK is great, but I'd rather have a PQ with caches in it that I know I'll potentially want to seek than to get a PQ and then strip out a large percentage of the data. I'd add all the "not chosen/unknown" caches to my PQ filter, but there is a great series of caches that are listed as such that I've enjoyed finding and caches by other users listed as such that I want to find.

I don't have a problem with the individual, but I don't want to hunt his caches. I add them to my ignore list because it's the only solution that addresses my preferences.

you do know alabama rambler reads the forums.... right? ;)