micro cache saturation by one cacher...

mchaos

So around me there is one person with near 170 mark of hides. He is experienced, and is getting close to 1000 finds.

90% of his hides are micros. Many in the woods and along trails. On a trail near me, he has an insane amount, Its like a cache from him every 1000 ft or so. And almost all micros. And they are mostly nothing special. a 35mm film canister, and a few cheap glade ware. An I can't remember one of them that was not soggy and full of a paper soup log.

Now what kills me is he does have some hides that are really neat. Some of them micros. He has a fake bird house hid, a fake well vent hide etc. Some of them fun. Alas, most are just simple micros, saturating my area with oodles and oodles of 35mm film canisters.

now its clear he loves geocaching. He has 9 times more finds then I have. But I am getting really tired of finding his 35mm film canisters in the woods or along a local trail, which could have some really nice regular caches all along it, but this guy has a monopoly here, and I am sorry, and respectfully, most of them are really lame and boring.

I would expect much more creative and fun caches, and the annoying part is he is capable and creative enough, because some of the ones I have found were really great from him.

Its like he wants to hide them, but put almost no thought or time into them.

This is making me bored of caching, because there is so many micros, and a lot from him.

And I don't hate micros, just pointless ones. I love the kind of micro that make you really really think, "now that was really cool" But these are all film cans........

BAH! What to do, what to do..... :)

If there's a particular micro-saturated location in which you'd like to place a cache, have you considered putting the cache there anyway (but not -yet- attempting to publish it) then mailing the guy politely to say "I'd really love to activate the ammo can at <coords> but am barred from doing so by the saturation guidelines. Would you consider removing cache GCxxxxx to make space?".

You could alway try passive aggression :)

OK, all kidding aside, I at one time forsaw a similar situation starting to take place in my neck of the woods. In my case, a well-phrased email not only helped, but helped us become friends. But I got lucky. It could just as well have back-fired and made an ememy, so I don't know that I could recommend that. If you chose that route, though, make it very clear that you understand that you know that you have no rights to those areas... that you are only asking for this other guy to tread a little lighter. Good luck... not an easy situation.

Not sure what you are expecting. The reality is that 90% of the caches out there are ho hum at best. Is a micro somehow less worthy than a larger cache with junk inside? Not much difference in my estimation.

And for those who put out a larger cache with nice stuff inside, within a year if not a few months, the good stuff will be traded for junk.

Those who put out one of the 10%, a cache that is uniquely appealing in some way, there is a good chance 60% to 80% of the cachers will ignore it if there is any difficulty involved or a lengthy hike.

Your complaint arises because of one person flodding the area. If ten people combined to put all those same, ho hum caches, you would not notice much. That is geocaching.

I'm going to upsate NY in a few weeks and looked up the closest 100 caches to the spot. There were only three multis among them. Three out of 100, and all three were simple and short. Among the other 97, only five rated higher than a 2.5 in difficulty. You can't get more ho, hum than that. Would it make any difference if all those caches had been put out by the same person? I think not.

Now, I can see dropping "guardian caches to hold some spots for better hides, but these have been around. I don't really care for film cans but they are okay when done with taste. As a matter of fact he has one that does!

There is one he placed in a parking lot where he has a fake candy cane vent near a lamp post. Looks like this only black.

candycane.jpg

I can see this throwing off people who would automatically go for the LPH. It pulls up out of a sleeve, and you have to turn it up side down is, and out slides a film can.

This was the only film can hide from him that was not wet at all, because the can was sheltered.

Other ones consist of a film can zip tied to a limb of a bush.

Another just under a piece of bark on the ground on the side of the trail.

then there was the glad ware filled with cache soup under a bridge that the trail runs over.

Nano in the woods, in a rotting piece off wood.

then a pill bottle almost looked tossed where it was. No tact.

Some of those are his in a row, but every once in a while is some one else, but just as bad. Key box in a guard rail, More crappy leaky glad ware.

Out of all of those in a row, there were 2 that were neat. One was a fake bird house, from the one who has like 170 hides, then a large bison tube, bout the size of a roll of nickles, JB welded to the head of a bolt with a washer, slipped into a bolt hole in a trail sign.

the one day I was going down the trail, I was going to keep going until I looked the ones ahead and saw all micros along a trail, with 4 out of 5 by this guy.

I just want a little bit of variety.

It makes me want to avoid all micros, but some people out there have some really cool ones. Its killing it for me lately.

I was thinking of asking him if I can take over some area's with a better cache. The only problem is, I don't want to end up having a heap load of caches I can't take care of, because he doesn't do anything about the caches he has if something goes wrong with them. Doesn't replace logs, if it goes missing, doesn't replace it.

I guess I can see what I can do...

Yeah, seen it from more than one person. What I do is aggressively ignore them, meaning I won't log their hides even if I could. Most of these people are gone from the game after a year leaving their geotrash to be picked up by others.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I do it for the thrill of the hunt doesn't matter what i find. Whats cool to me is that tons of other people have been to the exact same spot and everybody else has no clue. I feel your frustration for wanting to hide cahes, but I think your missing the over all point. be glad you have so many in your area, others aren't so lucky.

Sorry. I can't feel your pain. I run 30 PQs a week, and 29 of them exclude micros, others and size not chosen. I know I will miss out on the occassional gem, but it's worth it to me to avoid the spew. The last PQ is one I run for my wife. She happens to love micros. Since I love spending time with her, it really doesn't matter what we hunt. If I'm flying solo, my world has no micros.

So around me there is one person with near 170 mark of hides. He is experienced, and is getting close to 1000 finds.

90% of his hides are micros. Many in the woods and along trails. On a trail near me, he has an insane amount, Its like a cache from him every 1000 ft or so. And almost all micros. And they are mostly nothing special. a 35mm film canister, and a few cheap glade ware. An I can't remember one of them that was not soggy and full of a paper soup log.

Now what kills me is he does have some hides that are really neat. Some of them micros. He has a fake bird house hid, a fake well vent hide etc. Some of them fun. Alas, most are just simple micros, saturating my area with oodles and oodles of 35mm film canisters.

now its clear he loves geocaching. He has 9 times more finds then I have. But I am getting really tired of finding his 35mm film canisters in the woods or along a local trail, which could have some really nice regular caches all along it, but this guy has a monopoly here, and I am sorry, and respectfully, most of them are really lame and boring.

I would expect much more creative and fun caches, and the annoying part is he is capable and creative enough, because some of the ones I have found were really great from him.

Its like he wants to hide them, but put almost no thought or time into them.

This is making me bored of caching, because there is so many micros, and a lot from him.

And I don't hate micros, just pointless ones. I love the kind of micro that make you really really think, "now that was really cool" But these are all film cans........

Beat him to the spots and hide an ammo box.

BTW, I know who you are referring to. Though his caching "territory" is generally west of me, some of his spew creeps into my PQs. I simply delete all his caches from my GSAK database before I load it it my GPS. In all my years of geocaching this is the first person I've ever done this for. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.

BTW I don't think I've ever found any of his caches but his caches get a lot of bad word of mouth from people whose judgment I trust. That's good enough for me.

Edited by briansnat

I too have begun simply filtering micros. I used to really not care about cache size, and I still don't think it matters much in and of itself, but unfortunately, the "easy drop 35mm film can" has generated the careless, why here? soggy pathetic caches that you complain of.

In a world where there are way more caches than I'm ever going to get to hunt, this works okay. I don't exclude them from my PQ, but once I've got that data in GSAK, I filter on micro (not listed, other) then eyeball what's in that group.

Anything else that fails to pique my interest gets dumped. No doubt I miss some good stuff, but never again will I find myself among the trash hunting a film can (this on an enormous and handsome preserve property)(the straw that broke the camel's back for me, the day I realized that Riffster was on to something).

There are several micro spewers in this area as well. To me when you have a person(s) that put out that many caches, typically micros but I am not bashing micros, it just muddies the waters for others. My point is, I ran a PQ the other night filtering out micros since typically that is not what I am after, and missed out on a couple of micro caches that I think I would have enjoyed finding. I accept the fact that is going to happen.

Not that GC will do anything about it but my opinion is that a person(s) who places so many caches needs to be throttled back. In other words some limitations on how many caches a person can hide. I know that is not going to happen and this is not a popular topic.

The shotgunning of micro caches just for the sake of doing it. To me that is senseless. Larger caches are typically not spewed.

I do it for the thrill of the hunt doesn't matter what i find. Whats cool to me is that tons of other people have been to the exact same spot and everybody else has no clue. I feel your frustration for wanting to hide cahes, but I think your missing the over all point. be glad you have so many in your area, others aren't so lucky.

Hmm. Sounds like Snoogan's "Every cache is a gift" theorem. No sir, I don't like it. :)

I think you (Business81) are missing the point actually. This is more about poor containers (film canisters and gladware) with sogbooks, rather than logbooks. Most of them just happen to be micros, and in places that sound like they could support larger caches. Well MChaos, you'll just have to ignore them. I believe most Geocachers run out and look for everything listed in their area, and don't use the ignore list. Don't be that guy. :lol: I'm currently ignoring 452 caches in my 50 mile notification radius, AND, I regularly purge it of archived caches. I'll bet I've ignored 1,000 since we were given the ignore list feature in February, 2005.

I don't believe I will ever roll with the "ignore all micros" people though. I study the caches on a one-by-one basis as they are published. Only takes a minute, usually, and I was going to click on the link in the notification email anyways.

I feel your pain. I asked for this feature over 3 years ago....

This would be a plus, for sure. I see no reason for GC to not implement it. Especially since they seemed to have backed off on the power trail (and other) guidelines, why not include this type of "ignore cacher" feature. Maybe it is time for TPTB to re-look into this option.

Another re vote for this too many trails of micros 600 feet apart appearing arround here and were now talking of 400 + clicks on my mouse to ignore the larger power "type" trails.

I use the "type" cause we all know power trails are not allowed right ?

After I read throught the whole thread I found exactly what I had mentioned in my post above...and this was last year!

GC loosened the power trail guidelines a lot faster than implementing an "ignore user" feature.

I'm starting to think there should be a limit on how many caches a single cacher can place. Now I realize this would be hard to enforce (just use different names) and is unlikely, but I say it for a number of reasons. 1. there are just too many silly, meaningless caches (with all the complaints noted here and elsewhere). If you could only place a limited number, you might make them more worth while. 2. It is hard for newer cachers to find locations to hide. We have prolific hiders in my area that jump the instant there is a mention of a new park being built.. and will place a micro to "hold the spot". We need to encourage the newer folks and their creativity 3. Some of these prolific hiders are starting to get angry and snarky because cachers won't replace wet logs, etc... I carry paper and baggies for replacement, but we needn't expect everyone to do it. There might be better maintenance and less frustration if one has fewer to maintain.

Now, for the record, I have found many caches of prolific hiders and don't want to disparage their efforts. Thanks to them I've had many enjoyable caching experiences. But I think it would be healthier for geocaching, if there was a limit. Again, I recognize this is unlikely, but I've been thinking about this a lot lately....

Hmm. Sounds like Snoogan's "Every cache is a gift" theorem.

I thought that was "Every Cache Is Sacred"... :)

Oh... Uh... Never mind. That was Monty Python...

And it wasn't "Cache"... :lol:

I study the caches on a one-by-one basis as they are published.

I also do this, as the publication notifications roll in.

So far, this year, I haven't seen any micros that caught my eye.

If I ever do, I'll load them up and hit the road.

Edited by Clan Riffster

You know, I love to find them, but how many soggy film cans can you find from the same person along the same trail before you just feel like packing it in?

As for ignoring micros, There are some that are really good. I do not want to count them out. I suppose I could filter with gsak.

If I weren't a better man, I would just make some of them go missing. He would never maintain them. He doesn't But I can't do that.

and then there is always this feeling that I have to find them all... LoL. Can't help it.

Guess I'm having some problems with your complaint. I think I know of whom you speak. Are soggy film canisters any worse than electrical cover plates on air conditioners, or lamp posts (without baggy)? Or a coffee can in a weep hole in a wall?

I've just returned from Florida. There seem to be a lot of soggy film canisters there... And Premium Member ones! ;)

If you don't like someone's hides, ignore them. (The ones I've found by that hider don't seem much wors than many others.) There is certainly enough virgin territory around here that you should be able to hide a good cache without complaining about other hiders' caches. I've never had a problem finding good places to hide caches, Yes, I have some nanos, and magnetic key holders, but most of them are in interesting places. And I have quite a number of lock and lock type containers, and even a few ammo cans!

My suggestion is to find a nice place and hide a nice hide, and stop complaining about other hiders.

On this Father's day, I recall my own departed Dad's sage advice (oft repeated ) be tolerant of the failings of others , for you too will come to a time when you wish them tolerant of yours. We play a game, we try to make it fun, we sometimes do, we sometimes dont' Without people trying to hide there are no finders. Not every cache is going to be to your liking. Keep peace in your community, temper your criticism--except in the case of puzzle hiders--hunt them down ;)

Guess I'm having some problems with your complaint. I think I know of whom you speak. Are soggy film canisters any worse than electrical cover plates on air conditioners, or lamp posts (without baggy)? Or a coffee can in a weep hole in a wall?

I've just returned from Florida. There seem to be a lot of soggy film canisters there... And Premium Member ones! ;)

If you don't like someone's hides, ignore them. (The ones I've found by that hider don't seem much wors than many others.) There is certainly enough virgin territory around here that you should be able to hide a good cache without complaining about other hiders' caches. I've never had a problem finding good places to hide caches, Yes, I have some nanos, and magnetic key holders, but most of them are in interesting places. And I have quite a number of lock and lock type containers, and even a few ammo cans!

My suggestion is to find a nice place and hide a nice hide, and stop complaining about other hiders.

1) This sounds like a personal attack, and I did not get specific about who it was.

2) All of my hides have baggies. I have replaced the one you speak of, on an AC unit 2 times already. I cannot help it if people keep tearing the bag.

3) You should go check out the other one you speak about the weep wall, which BTW was not a coffee can. I have since upgraded the container and recently replaced the last one which as gone missing. As I recall you were the FTF, and I asked that one piece of swag stay in the cache, and you took it and left a dollar....

4) the LPH did have a baggy, and I archived it because it was muggled. That cache was more about testing the camo method, and it failed.

Big differences... I maintain my caches, or make them better if they are lacking. I have never hid a film can, nor will I hide one. I have not hid a mag key box, nor will I ever. Every film can I have found of the said cacher has not had a ziplock bag for the log at all. Nor has any of the pill containers of his that i have found.

You may also want to look at some of my cache pages as I have also upgraded them as well making them look better, and have more thought into them.

Lets look at the differences between a 35mm film can hidden in the woods, with an electrical plate hide on an AC unit that is well blended in.

35mm film can zip tied to a bush, with no zip log, and log soup.... Not so creative, or fun, especially since there are a dozen more in a row along the trail like that.

electrical plate hide, In an area with no caches within a few thousand feet, let alone another one of mine. Skill is required not only in spotting it, but to get to it in a high muggle area. Its a fun find, and interesting, and a bit more thought into it.

As for it not having a baggy for the log. Obviously you are some what soft on the details. Not once have I gone to fix the baggy, has the baggy not been there. Ripped, and log stuffed in it, but baggy still there none the less. I am going back for my 3rd fix again as a few have recently commented on wet log, and I will again let the log dry again, place it a new baggy, and replace cache. As a matter of fact, on of the comments that is on the front page says, "Baggy needs a bit of maintenance." Which implies there being a baggy.

Now as for the "paint ball loader tube" you thought was a coffee can,(again soggy with the details), I will admit that the choice for that container was poor, but it was my first hide, and I had not had many finds yet. I was a noobie. Since then I have made good on that one. It is now a regular sized lock&lock with camo tape hidden in a new spot.

The person of whom I speak has near 170 or so hides, and nearing 1000 finds. That's a well seasoned cacher. Surpassing me.

That being said, since it was my first cache, and I have made it better since, that your initial comments are null, especially since the person in comparison has many many hides of poor quality, and he is experienced.

I think if you are going to put out a cache, you should put a little thought into it. Not just walk along a trail and drop a film can or pill container every 600 to 1000 feet or so just to monopolize a trail.

I have nothing in general against Micro's, as I have said the person of whom I speak has some really good ones. I really like them. Just wish the rest of the mass of caches were as thought out.

I was not naming names. I left some error into the description of the person I speak, I have said he has some really great hides. He is very experienced. Has a lot of hides and I admire that. I do not wish any ill toward him. I encourage cache on. Accept him out in the world of geocaching and do hold some respect for him.

I just wish he didn't saturate the area with so many poorly thought out hides, in so many poor containers.

I had 1 poor container when I was a noob.

I don't appreciate the personal attack against me. This was a thread I was posting to express my unhappiness about this saturation by 1 person. I can understand many people. But this is one. It was not to be mean.

On this Father's day, I recall my own departed Dad's sage advice (oft repeated ) be tolerant of the failings of others , for you too will come to a time when you wish them tolerant of yours. We play a game, we try to make it fun, we sometimes do, we sometimes dont' Without people trying to hide there are no finders. Not every cache is going to be to your liking. Keep peace in your community, temper your criticism--except in the case of puzzle hiders--hunt them down ;)

Yeah, the last two posts are from New Jerseyites, who probably know who this is. Being somewhat familiar with the area in question, I could probably figure it out myself. I suppose I can see where this sort of public criticism can go wrong, such as someone tipping the hider off that they are being discussed in the forums. We must speak generically of prolific placers of soggy, unmaintained film canisters. :)

EDIT: posted at the same time as the OP's response, I believe he did a good job of addressing the points by the New Jersey posters.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I don't want some one to get tipped off, get all defensive and take this all the wrong way. This was not my intent.

Its just killing it for me. I go paperless. I have all the caches on my unit. I don't filter out the micro's as some are very fun. I will be out caching, or just about with my gps, and decide to hit up some caches in the area. Then seeing its another, and a micro. Giving a benefit of the doubt and give it a shot only to find a film can and cache soup. Then again i suppose I could filter the specific CO out with gsak. I may have to do this. If I do I will only be filtering out the micro's, and maybe small because all of the small ones seem to be bad gladware.

I could go out and hide a bunch of caches and put thought into it, but I don't want to have so many I cannot take care of. I would much rather take time spent thinking about how to do it well.

I have a few that are in the works. one is the "choose your own adventure cache" which is almost ready to be put into action. Another is a puzzle cache which I think will be really nice when complete, and another that is on the back burner until I find the right spot for it. I am going to place a cache at a nice scenic place, inside i am going to put a disposable camera. I am going to ask that each finder take a pic with the camera. Of them self, or of some scenery, or what every they want.( I know I may be asking for it with that) but then when the camera is full, I want to get the film developed and upload the pics to the cache page, where I will then put a new camera in it. I want to see what ends up on that film. Hopefully it will be nothing naughty.

3) You should go check out the other one you speak about the weep wall, which BTW was not a coffee can. I have since upgraded the container and recently replaced the last one which as gone missing. As I recall you were the FTF, and I asked that one piece of swag stay in the cache, and you took it and left a dollar....

Nope. That was someone else.

As I said: Go find a nice place to hide a cache and have fun! There are lots of places.

As I said: Go find a nice place to hide a cache and have fun! There are lots of places.

I apologize. I looked at the logs. However, Where I am having the biggest problem isn't with me finding a place to hide one. Hunting them and finding all of there's poor caches is what is making me want to pack it in some times. If I hide them, I can't go and find them.

It would be nice if the CO would work on upgrading some of his caches.

If there's a particular micro-saturated location in which you'd like to place a cache, have you considered putting the cache there anyway (but not -yet- attempting to publish it) then mailing the guy politely to say "I'd really love to activate the ammo can at <coords> but am barred from doing so by the saturation guidelines. Would you consider removing cache GCxxxxx to make space?".

I second this suggestion.

I apologize. I looked at the logs. However, Where I am having the biggest problem isn't with me finding a place to hide one. Hunting them and finding all of there's poor caches is what is making me want to pack it in some times. If I hide them, I can't go and find them.

It would be nice if the CO would work on upgrading some of his caches.

Even if you can't do anything about his hides, my suggestion is to find something to like about the place they are located, is there a nice waterfall, a great view, something? It might help make them more fun to find. Hope that helps.

I don't want some one to get tipped off, get all defensive and take this all the wrong way. This was not my intent.

Its just killing it for me. I go paperless. I have all the caches on my unit. I don't filter out the micro's as some are very fun. I will be out caching, or just about with my gps, and decide to hit up some caches in the area. Then seeing its another, and a micro. Giving a benefit of the doubt and give it a shot only to find a film can and cache soup. Then again i suppose I could filter the specific CO out with gsak. I may have to do this. If I do I will only be filtering out the micro's, and maybe small because all of the small ones seem to be bad gladware.

I could go out and hide a bunch of caches and put thought into it, but I don't want to have so many I cannot take care of. I would much rather take time spent thinking about how to do it well.

I have a few that are in the works. one is the "choose your own adventure cache" which is almost ready to be put into action. Another is a puzzle cache which I think will be really nice when complete, and another that is on the back burner until I find the right spot for it. I am going to place a cache at a nice scenic place, inside i am going to put a disposable camera. I am going to ask that each finder take a pic with the camera. Of them self, or of some scenery, or what every they want.( I know I may be asking for it with that) but then when the camera is full, I want to get the film developed and upload the pics to the cache page, where I will then put a new camera in it. I want to see what ends up on that film. Hopefully it will be nothing naughty.

You can just do what I do, load my PQ into GSAK, sort by cache owner name and delete all of his caches. It is the first thing I do after I run a PQ.

I guess my point is: If you're willing to put up with a lot of what you consider to be trash for a few good ones, then go for it. But don't complain. There are a lot of other caches to be found. If your ignore them, then you won't even know that they are there! Avoids frustration.

If I don't like someone's hides, I ignore them. If I don't like a cache hider, I ignore his/her caches. Within 20 miles, there are 1200 caches that I have not found (and are not on my ignore list.) That should keep me busy for quite a while.

Seems a simple solution to the problem. Hit the 'ignore' button,, and be done with it!

I couldn't help myself. I figured out who this is in about 5 minutes. Sorry, I'm like that. :laughing: Took longer than I thought, actually. So I guess if the basic question is, "what can be done?", I suppose nothing. Not that a reviewer is going to get involved, and start rejecting new cache placements. But I think if these caches are poorly maintained, using generally poor containers, the problem will eventually take care of itself, when they realize they can't possibly keep up with all these caches. I doubt many (or any) of the already archived ones, and the future archivals, will ever be removed though.

I couldn't help myself. I figured out who this is in about 5 minutes. Sorry, I'm like that. :laughing: Took longer than I thought, actually. So I guess if the basic question is, "what can be done?", I suppose nothing. Not that a reviewer is going to get involved, and start rejecting new cache placements. But I think if these caches are poorly maintained, using generally poor containers, the problem will eventually take care of itself, when they realize they can't possibly keep up with all these caches. I doubt many (or any) of the already archived ones, and the future archivals, will ever be removed though.

Yeah, I am sure eventually the problem will work its self out. But there are a lot of caches. then there is another guy a few miles up trail that starts the same crap. I guess maybe they were trying to make a "power Trail. But its ridiculous looking on a map of it.

We've got one guy here who has over 300 hides; it makes it really difficult for others to come and place any in the area at all since all the parks here are saturated with this guys caches.

Now see, there are some spots on this trail where you can't place anything.

But then I also read the cache page description before I look for them.

I do too, and can read them on my GPS at the site, but its too bad the CO doesn't put much into his descriptions either :laughing:

EDIT: I am not going to quote, but they are some thing like this... (Micro along trail just off to side. Container is a 35mm film canister.) Maybe a few more words then that, but that's about the extent of information you get.

Edited by mchaos

We've got one guy here who has over 300 hides; it makes it really difficult for others to come and place any in the area at all since all the parks here are saturated with this guys caches.

It so happens that I have 300 hides. Some can say that I've saturated an area. Maybe I have, but I placed the caches over a period of several years. Anybody could have stepped in at any point and placed a cache in one of these spots. They are all high quality caches and those who find them seem to enjoy them. None are pointless park n grabs.

Despite my somewhat seemingly saturation of the area, every week I receive notifications of caches hidden by others in the region. Often it is in a spot that I thought of in the past but never got around to placing a cache there. Cool, it gives me a cache to find.

More often it is a location that I never knew about that is a fascinating place for a cache. When I see the notifications I think about how lucky I am to live in an area where so many cache hiders put in the research necessary to place great caches, rather that spewing pointless, poorly maintained micros (well other than the person who sparked this this thread).

Point is that there are always great spots for caches if someone is willing to do some research and legwork.

Edited by briansnat