falsely logging my caches?

I would ask the people who haven't signed the log some questions about the cache, like "What does the box look like?" or "where was it hidden exactly?" and if their answers are wrong or the don't answer at all I would delete their logs. If their answer is correct, they may be the sort of cachers who generally don't sign the log, for whatever reasons - or they may just have forgotten :)

I would ask the people who haven't signed the log some questions about the cache, like "What does the box look like?" or "where was it hidden exactly?" and if their answers are wrong or the don't answer at all I would delete their logs. If their answer is correct, they may be the sort of cachers who generally don't sign the log, for whatever reasons - or they may just have forgotten :)

The thing is, if they are genuine, I don't want to seem rude, as they are all local geocachers. (I haven't many of these ones yet) but I feel kind of cheated if people are using my caches to rack up numbers falsely.

So if I find out that they didnt find it, do I just delete the log on my cache?

I would ask the people who haven't signed the log some questions about the cache, like "What does the box look like?" or "where was it hidden exactly?" and if their answers are wrong or the don't answer at all I would delete their logs. If their answer is correct, they may be the sort of cachers who generally don't sign the log, for whatever reasons - or they may just have forgotten ;)

The thing is, if they are genuine, I don't want to seem rude, as they are all local geocachers. (I haven't many of these ones yet) but I feel kind of cheated if people are using my caches to rack up numbers falsely.

And you care about this WHY??? :lol:

If I log your cache online but don't sign the log book, why do you care? If I'm boosting my numbers that's my business. If I'm lazy and don't want to sign your log book, that's my business. :)

The thing is, if they are genuine, I don't want to seem rude

When you send them a polite email, you won't seem rude :)

Yes, but only if it's 100% sure that they didn't find it! Otherwise just let them have that odd find - it's their thing...

It's up to you. Is there a chance they signed it with a different name than their geocaching screen name? Perhaps they visited it as a group?

If I thought someone had falsely logged my cache, I'd probably look at their profile before doing anything else. A lot of the time, fakers are pretty obvious.

If I log your cache online but don't sign the log book, why do you care? If I'm boosting my numbers that's my business. If I'm lazy and don't want to sign your log book, that's my business. :)

If I own the cache, it's my business too !!!!!! Come to Pennsylvania. Try it and find out.

If I own the cache, it's my business too !!!!!! Come to Pennsylvania. Try it and find out.

Exactly, blatant number grabbing is definitely going to get you deleted. Then I'm going to talk about you behind your back or your front depending on which way you are facing.

On topic, occasionally you have people who don't follow the exact process. I find a friendly note works well to test the situation.

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

A suggestion...

I see that your 3 caches are all fairly close to each other so the chances are that cachers wil have gone to all 3 while they were in the area. Have a look at the log books in the other caches and compare with the on-line logs... Are the same signatures missing, or do they seem to tally? If you see the same discrepancy with the logs of all 3 caches then this will indicate whether the same cachers make a habit of not signing. Then you can...

*sigh*

email them and ask them about it.

If you don't get a reasonable reason as to why they didn't sign then you can delete the Found logs.

OR

You can let the matter rest, leave the logs stand... but put the fact into the back of your mind (for future consideration) that those particular cachers don't play the game by the same "rules" as the majority (who generally accept that to claim a find you must sign the log).

MrsB :)

Honestly It wouldn't bother me too much if some one logged one or some of my caches falsely. They are the ones not really having the real fun of finding it. If I noticed it, and was able to tell if it was arm chair caching I would delete it, but I wouldn't throw a hissy.

Some good points have been made in this thread,

Its true it could be a group find, where some one didn't feel the need to sign. Some people sign 1 name for the whole group.

There could have been muggles near by and they may not have signed the log in a rush to re hide the cache.

If its not the original log some one might have replaced a soggy log.

If it does bother you, just email him with this first. "Hello, I was wondering why you did not sign the log in my "_____" cache."

If he replies why, and it still does not convince you, ask him what color the cache container was painted. If his answer does not match, DELETE!

Then don't worry bout it.

They could be part of a team, that has split. eg Family of cachers, child starts their own account.

Could be friends of cachers, who now have an account.

But.

They should say 'why' when they log the cache... "Found with ... Logging under my new/own account"

Can you tell if they might have been with other cachers.

If you check other caches, have they logged the cache on the same day as others, that have signed your log book?

because you are supposed to sign the log as proof of finding it

and because is his cache and can do whatever he dadgum pleases, the same as you if you choose not to sign the log

Maintenance Guideline

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Right there in the second paragraph of cache maintenance.

Give the people the benefit of the doubt. Ask them. If no satisfactory response, delete it.

That's alright. They know that they're supposed to sign the log. If they are not noobs, they also should know enough to carry a pen (not that you can't forget once in a while). Nothing wrong with asking... just don't accuse.

Re-read the hider's guidelines. Deleting bogus logs is part of your responsibility as cache owner.

The last time a cacher logged a find online for one of my caches (he was the FTF) the second person who found it (a respected local cacher) made note in his online log that it was odd that the log book was blank.

I emailed the first guy and he said he was on a numbers run and didn't have time to sign the log book.

I asked him what was in the container. He said that he didn't remember.

I deleted his log.

The last time a cacher logged a find online for one of my caches (he was the FTF) the second person who found it (a respected local cacher) made note in his online log that it was odd that the log book was blank.

I emailed the first guy and he said he was on a numbers run and didn't have time to sign the log book.

I deleted his log.

Not that you know, but what exactly does one on a numbers run do then if they don't sign the log. Do they count it as found if they're in the vicinity, or have a visual on what they think is the log? I can buy most of the other reason why logs aren't signed but to just blatantly say that you couldn't be bothered to do it bugs me.

something along these lines always come up when i go into full explanation of what geocaching is to a friend or muggle. sometimes they ask, "whats to keep someone from just falsely logging cache finds?" My responce is "nothing if boosting their numbers is all they want to get out of it their missing all the fun, I'm much more happy with my 115 knowing i have 115 separate stories for each cache, than to have 1500 and have no stories to tell." its not a contest sport, its a hobby its a hobby. Cheating at Geocaching is like model rockets without engines, nice to look at on the shelf but not much fun to play with

I feel bad for the people who falsely log caches, but it doesn't seem like they are cheating anyone but themselves. One local cache, now archived was in terrible shape when I fould it. But two other cachers (one claiming over 1000 finds) said it was in good shape and all was well between my find and the owner cashing it in due to the poor condition.

Edited by hoosier guy

Do what you want to with it and don't look back. Obviously they didn't. If you feel they shouldn't get credit for it, delete the find.

Someone pointed out that the "hiders Guidelines" states it's your responsibility to do so. I haven't read them in ages, but if it says that, then you should do it.

At least you are checking your logs both online and inside the cache. So many people just toss caches out and and never maintain them. Many can't because they live no where near the cache.

I feel bad for the people who falsely log caches, but it doesn't seem like they are cheating anyone but themselves. One local cache, now archived was in terrible shape when I found it. But two other cachers (one claiming over 1000 finds) said it was in good shape and all was well between my find and the owner cashing it in due to the poor condition.

You don't see that as a problem?

Do what you want to with it and don't look back. Obviously they didn't. If you feel they shouldn't get credit for it, delete the find.

Someone pointed out that the "hiders Guidelines" states it's your responsibility to do so. I haven't read them in ages, but if it says that, then you should do it.

At least you are checking your logs both online and inside the cache. So many people just toss caches out and and never maintain them. Many can't because they live no where near the cache.

Holy carp! when did you fall out of the woodster work. :)

Welcome back. :lol:

I feel bad for the people who falsely log caches, but it doesn't seem like they are cheating anyone but themselves. One local cache, now archived was in terrible shape when I fould it. But two other cachers (one claiming over 1000 finds) said it was in good shape and all was well between my find and the owner cashing it in due to the poor condition.

I would say they are cheating other cachers out there by not reporting or fixing a cache in such bad shape. All of us cachers expect to find a cache in good shape. If we don't help each other out by helping maintaining the caches, then the next cacher will be cheated. Especially someone doing it for the first time.

people have logged my cache as a find but when I went to replace the log, I have atleast 6 people that have logged visits but not signed the log sheet.

What do I do?

One point that was made early-on that I want to reiterate is that groups sometimes sign the paper log under a group name, then each will log electronically under their own account. I've done that twice.

Maintenance Guideline

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

Right there in the second paragraph of cache maintenance.

Give the people the benefit of the doubt. Ask them. If no satisfactory response, delete it.

Welcome back Woodsters!

I deleted his log.

I'd suspect it would normally be that easy, if an owner wanted to be diligent enough. Those that false log count on not having their finds called into question...so it's surprising that this guy would be dopey enough to try it on a new cache.

Thanks bleu deuce and markwell. Good to be back. Will try not to cause as much trouble as before....lol

Don't ruin a good thing! We need more drama :)

I once had a guy who posted a found log on a tree climbing cache we have. He said it was too hard to get the cache, but he saw it, so he logged it as a find. I wrote him and told him that signing the log is required, so he'd need to either go actually get the logbook and sign it, or change his post to a note or a DNF. A week or so later I deleted his log. A week later he logged it again. Turns out his email for geocaching was not one that he ever checked. I finally had to post an ACTUAL note on the cache page to get his attention. We finally got to have a good email conversation where he decided to avoid tree caches from now on.

This was a newbie. If this newbie were not corrected early on, he'd continue to log finds on caches he never found (sounds like that's what's happened with these folks in your area). It's a big deal to me that we spent a lot of time and effort creating an experience and people don't complete the experience and cheapen it. It's also a big deal to the cachers that HAVE found it - they're proud of their accomplishment, only to have someone log it who didn't put the same effort in that they did.

D/T of 5/5, 3/2.5, 1/1 - if they don't sign the log (at least as a team name) then they don't get the credit. Heck - if we followed the "hey, play the game how you want" mentality, then I have a few caches I'd just swipe and claim were muggled so I could have the area to put a GOOD cache in. :) There are reasons for guidelines and maintenance rules, let's not ruin things by ignoring them and blowing them off.

I have claimed 2 caches that I did not sign. One was an instance where I gave out my last pen to the prior cache that I visited and the pen in the cache would not write. I also took a travel bug. The second I forgot a pen and did not have access to one. I left 2 travel bugs and took one so I figured there was another way of noting my presence. Sometimes people forget or something goes wrong.

I feel bad for the people who falsely log caches, but it doesn't seem like they are cheating anyone but themselves. One local cache, now archived was in terrible shape when I found it. But two other cachers (one claiming over 1000 finds) said it was in good shape and all was well between my find and the owner cashing it in due to the poor condition.

You don't see that as a problem?

It is not like the first to 100 gets a free pony. If someone wants to cheat themselves what are we who are not the CO going to do about it? How does it affect us? If the CO is concerned they have the right to do what they think needs done.

I would say they are cheating other cachers out there by not reporting or fixing a cache in such bad shape. All of us cachers expect to find a cache in good shape. If we don't help each other out by helping maintaining the caches, then the next cacher will be cheated. Especially someone doing it for the first time.

You make a good point, we do need to help each other. But the small percentage that are loging false finds on a small percentage of cahes that need looked after just doesn't seem enough to get worked up over to me.

My husband and I are new to geocaching. We have mainly been hunting together - sometimes he finds the caches (like the one on 17th June when I saw a birdie I thought I could photograph) but it is me that signs the logs. I have noticed that he has logged as found the caches we have done together but he has not signed the log (perhaps I signed from me plus him...), mind you, his writing is atrocious anyway! Would you suggest that I amend my found log to say that I was with him.... and him edit his....?

My husband and I are new to geocaching. We have mainly been hunting together - sometimes he finds the caches (like the one on 17th June when I saw a birdie I thought I could photograph) but it is me that signs the logs. I have noticed that he has logged as found the caches we have done together but he has not signed the log (perhaps I signed from me plus him...), mind you, his writing is atrocious anyway! Would you suggest that I amend my found log to say that I was with him.... and him edit his....?

I wouldn't worry about any you've already done. In fact, I wouldn't worry about the issue in future, either. But when I sign for more than myself, I will sign both names -- I've done it lots.

Separate caching accounts?

May solve any future problems if you say "Caching with ... " in the on line log.

If you both use the same account, no problem. (If you sign the log book/sheet with the caching name)

If I log your cache online but don't sign the log book, why do you care? If I'm boosting my numbers that's my business. If I'm lazy and don't want to sign your log book, that's my business.

And if I am the cache owner maintaining my cache according to the guidelines, it's my business.

Seriously, I find it quite absurd that a cache owner is being encouraged to not maintain their cache here.

Seriously, I find it quite absurd that a cache owner is being encouraged to not maintain their cache here.

their advice is their business! if they want to swap the collective opinion to the contrary of "no log signed, no find"... that is their business. :);)

i find it amusing too... they must all be bored....or have been had their accounts hacked by contrarians.

That seems more like someone finding many caches in a day and loosing track of which was which. You'd think if it was intentional cheating they'd either mimic the other logs or keep it generic.

I find it ironic that my most recent cache publish was delayed because I stated in the listing that the cacher needs to have a signature in the log to make it a valid find. I was told that could be construed as an ALR and to change the wording so it didn't say "signature". So, apparently the CO can no longer control "what" they put in the log. They could just put an "X" in the corner and that would suffice. Of course, I was using "signature" in a generic sense and didn't actually intend that they sign it like a check or anything.

Want a new twist on this... what if a muggle finds the cache and makes a log entry. They are not a geocacher and they can't log online. Does that still count as a "find". What if the muggle was ftf? What if the muggle stole the swag and any TBs? What if the muggle moved the cache in a malicious attempt to foil future cachers? Is it still a "find"? Different rules, but they are still being broken.

That seems more like someone finding many caches in a day and loosing track of which was which. You'd think if it was intentional cheating they'd either mimic the other logs or keep it generic.

That could be as well.

Edited by hoosier guy

Actually I have had this issue a few times. The few random cachers that try this I usually delete their logs. But there is a more prominate cacher who is well respected in his area, but overall hated in mine for fake log enteries who I dont delete it's logs that I find are fake to try and keep the peace. Thats all I want is a geocaching war.

Actually I have had this issue a few times. The few random cachers that try this I usually delete their logs. But there is a more prominate cacher who is well respected in his area, but overall hated in mine for fake log enteries who I dont delete it's logs that I find are fake to try and keep the peace. Thats all I want is a geocaching war.

i know with the people that i respect that dishonesty is definitely one of those things that i look to admire. ;)