Are we actually helping, or is it just for fun?

Harv

There is a format to follow to enter an official recovery. You can read all about it on the official Geodetic website.(somebody post the link for me icon_smile.gif )

I am sure the administrators at Groundspeak.com pondered whether or not to follow the format, and probably decided it was too tedious a task for "hobbyists", or something like that.

Hopefully, this will become such a large database that "The Agency" will adapt our findings on their own, but, of course, DON'T bet on that!

7047_200.gif

There is a format to follow to enter an official recovery. You can read all about it on the official Geodetic website.(somebody post the link for me icon_smile.gif )

I am sure the administrators at Groundspeak.com pondered whether or not to follow the format, and probably decided it was too tedious a task for "hobbyists", or something like that.

Hopefully, this will become such a large database that "The Agency" will adapt our findings on their own, but, of course, DON'T bet on that!

7047_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:We're mainly doing this for fun, but if you want to help you can fill out a http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FORMS_PROCESSING-cgi-bin/recvy_entry_www.prl. I've found several markers and have filled out a recovery for some of them.

It sounds like a form to fill out of you physically "recovered" the benchmark from it's intended location (?) though that can't be. They shoudl call that a "condition report" or something.

http://custer37.livejournal.com/

quote:
Originally posted by n1niq:

I justed checked the link. Perhaps Geocaching.com could become an approved agency. That could be a boost for the hobby.

Chris

Jeremy: is there any chance Geocaching.com could become an "approved agency"? It seems that other private companies are in the list. The recovery page says to contact the person at the bottom of the page.... "Email: Deb.Brown@noaa.gov".

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by Harv:

I just logged my first benchmark find. I was curious, is this something that some official agency actually wants our help with, or is it just for fun?

I actually have been hunting benchmarks for more than

20 years. At one point, I went to the USGS office and told them what I was doing, and they were very

excited about it. Seems they don't have the budget to check on the marks and were thrilled that someone was doing it for the fun of it. They even supplied me with cloth bags and preprinted address forms to send them any BMs that I found dislodged. FWIW, textual descriptions exist that describe accurately were each mark is located. For some of the older marks, the description can be fascinating; e.g. 'mark is the top of glass beer bottle buried at a depth of six feet...'

Back to the subject; if you find evidence of a missing mark, I'm sure the placing agency would like to know about it.

It's for fun, but actually reporting benchmark recovery forms to the NGS helps very much. I'm a surveyor and when I have to find these things to establish control on a project, it's nice to see a benchmark report that has a recovery date within the past several years. I have seen them with dates back in the 60s. Those are a good bet to be destroyed. Even if you didn't find the benchmark, it's always good to report it.

------------------------------------------------------------If I had a nickel for every sewer manhole I've seen near rivers, creeks, and lakes, I'd be RICH!

I submitted some of my 'founds/recovereds' to the NGS website back in early June and one was a 'not found' that I had good evidence that the marker really was gone.

As of today, the official NGS datasheets for each of those markers has a 2002 'recovered in good condition' entry with my initials. Except the one that I couldn't find, which instead has my notes on why I think it's gone. icon_eek.gif

Kinda gets me fired up to go do more of them!!!

BTW, since we're not exactly employed by geocaching.com I don't think it's wise to have it as an 'approved agency'. We're actually all just 'individual contributors' and there is already a code for that 'agency'.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

I submitted some of my 'founds/recovereds' to the NGS website back in early June and one was a 'not found' that I had good evidence that the marker really was gone.

As of today, the official NGS datasheets for each of those markers has a 2002 'recovered in good condition' entry with my initials. Except the one that I couldn't find, which instead has my notes on why I think it's gone. icon_eek.gif

Kinda gets me fired up to go do more of them!!!

BTW, since we're not exactly employed by geocaching.com I don't think it's wise to have it as an 'approved agency'. We're actually all just 'individual contributors' and there is already a code for that 'agency'.

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.