Need help with Arma, KS Homecoming Geocache

sek-surveyor

I am looking into running the geocache event for the Arma Kansas Homecoming on August 6 thru 8th, 2010. Does anyone have some tips on what would be the best way to run a short geocache competition? It would need to be able to be completed in one day, preferably in an hour or two??

They had a small geocache contest last year, but were not planning on doing it again this year. I told them that I would check into it. Is there enough interest in something like this? I think that the prize money was $100 last year. They took the names of the people that completed the event and entered them in a drawing to determine the winner.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

DR

It is a pretty remote area of Kansas. I had to look it up to figure out where it was. I should have figured the southeast corner as that is the area I am the least familiar with. Looks like the city has one geocache and several strip mines south easy of town. Are there any nearby State Parks or Recreational areas we may be able to access? Glen

You could do a geo photo scavenger hunt of your town. You provide coordinates and folks have to take photos of what they find. A virtual cache hunt of sorts. That would also be a fun way to highlight your town for a homecoming. Also, you may get more participation from folks who aren't into traditional caches if you have a small geocaching community?

Other competition ideas -

Make it a game of Clue. Each cache has hints on whodunnit, with what, and where.

Poker - each cache has cards in envelopes (so they can't be seen). Player with the best hand at the end wins.

Best cammo'd cache container contest. (Fun for kids and adults!)

Sometimes, just meet n greets are fun too!

Have fun!

I guess when I was a participant in a poker game, we just took our chances that people were honest. Everyone was. We had about 20-30 people playing. Maybe one way to thwart cheating by trading cards would be that they can't open the envelope until back at the gathering spot. ?