New Garmin 550 Question

actually the "current.gpx" doesn't contain waypoints, it contains the tracklog (i think). waypoints are in other GPX files, all in the \garmin\gpx directory (not in subdirectories), so you need to copy those.

Edited by dfx

actually the "current.gpx" doesn't contain waypoints, it contains the tracklog (i think). waypoints are in other GPX files, all in the \garmin\gpx directory (not in subdirectories), so you need to copy those.

I opened the "Current" file in GSAK and it contained all of the waypoints I was looking for????

I will try the other files in the GPX directory.

I opened the "Current" file in GSAK and it contained all of the waypoints I was looking for????

maybe GSAK played a trick on you, or maybe your oregon works differently. on my oregon 450, the current.gpx is definitely a tracklog.

do it with easygps.. it's free.. download them from the old one and then upload to the new one..

I don't know what file to download... that is my problem.

I looked all through the GPX folder and can't find anything.

I just finished doing this when I went from my Oregon 300 to Oregon 450. You can also do it with Basecamp. Transfer all of the waypoints to the Library from the old unit. Then, transfer them to the unit which you want to send them to. It only takes seconds.

The Oregon 200, 300, & 400's handle waypoints differently than the Oregon 450's and 550's. On the 450's and 550's, there is a gpx file by date that holds all of your waypoints.

It's a bit complex, in the current.gpx on your gps are ALL data like waypoint/tracks/routes

Open Mapsource > transfer > receive from device

To be sure select ONLY one eg waypoints

They should show in the waypoint tab left of the screen

Save them

File > save as > mywaypoints.gpx (remember where you put the data)

Close Mapsource and reopen ( to be sure you are handling only one type of data)

Do the same for tracks and waypoints (they should show with different names)

Now connect the new gps with windows explorer select the newly made files and copy those to the Garmin\Gpx folder, either on the Gps or SD

From now on try to use Basecamp :blink:

I just finished doing this when I went from my Oregon 300 to Oregon 450. You can also do it with Basecamp. Transfer all of the waypoints to the Library from the old unit. Then, transfer them to the unit which you want to send them to. It only takes seconds.

The Oregon 200, 300, & 400's handle waypoints differently than the Oregon 450's and 550's. On the 450's and 550's, there is a gpx file by date that holds all of your waypoints.

Great.... that worked. Thanks for your response and help.

maybe this is a dumb question but why would you want to save all the old waypoints are they not the caches that you have already found

thanks

Not dumb . . . you're just thinking Geocaching . . .

I have a ton of waypoints all over the country, for when I travel, unrelated to Geocaching. Airports, Rental Car Locations, Restaurants, Gas, yadda yadda yadda. Lots of stuff I want to remember around where I live, too.

There's even extra stuff for Geocaching that aren't caches. Entries to trails, legs of a multi I haven't found yet, etc.