Most caches in one day

I just got a new personal record of 61. I started the day with a 9+ mile hike for 15 caches, then went to Stud Mill Rd in Bangor about an hour before dark. I got 44 caches in 110 minutes, with 50 miles of driving between them. (Less than 2.5 minutes per cache with driving time!) My second best was 30, I started the day with 6 planned, and then opened GSAK and cleared my home town.

I got tired of defending my shared "record" against various claims that I could not possibly have found that many caches. That negativity took away from the fun of doing what we did, so I stopped posting about it except for rare occasions like this post.

Just like clockwork! I hadn't even noticed this attack post at the time when I made my post to this thread. I've come to accept that there will always be newbies and people with limited geocaching skills who think it's impossible to rack up big daily find counts.

Yeah I know what you mean. I too use to be like that until I discovered that there was always some 'catch' to it, then it became abundantly clear that such numbers were indeed possible. So clear in fact that I now view them as mostly irrelevant and immaterial.

But, none of that matters much, if I could get down to ET when the temperature is more agreeable, I'd of course give it a go with Mrs. Team Cotati. We'd find that to be fun.....to a point. Criminnie, even when we visit LA, it is still a bit of a jaunt over there and truth is there ain't no there there even when you get there.

Perhaps one day we will run through The ETH before we hit LA....never can tell.

Edited by Team Cotati

105. Made for a long day, but fun (did it with some great guys). The company is what will make or break a day like that.

By the way, are you really as young as your avatar and profile pic?

That would be the one and only "Indiana Jacob" my 6 year old son and a huge Indiana Jones fan. When we get around to hidind some caches an Indiana Jones series will be a high priority. In an attempt to find something uique to do as a family, I came across geocaching, and here we are.

wow some of you guys must have hit some target rich areas! i have 18 for the best day my family went to disney and i had one day to cache. so a mont in advance i plotted a route along the main tourist strip.

According to my search there are 1095 cahces within a 10 mile rdius of my home coords. We recently had the cache-a-palooza event nearby so there have been dozens of new hides in the area. My route wanedrs about and covers about 45 miles.

As with many others, I'm not in it for the numbers. I'm in it for the fun. But, the numbers do tend to reflect the total amount of fun I've had. I did something like 25 when I hiked Grant's Trail in St. Louis, MO. I did nearly that on a bike trail in Del Mar, CA. I did 40 caches with a group on a puzzle cache rally that covered a fair number of miles. It was fun being part of the group, but not quite like finding them myself. However, my wife and I found 414 caches on the ET Highway. We did this over the course of about 8 hours, which included a lunch break and a snack break. As I've said before, there was nothing particularly imaginative about the hides, but the fun was in the sheer number of caches and the challenge of how quickly we could find, sign and replace the caches and in being out doing it. (Quite frankly, I have no real interest in any more power trails for quite a while, unless it is on foot or on a bike and they are further apart than 0.10 miles.)

I totally get the quality over quantity sentiment from many of you and for the most part that is what our geocaching career has been so far. With 92 finds in over a year, we are not breaking any records at that pace. I think our "100 in a day challenge" is going to be fun. Pack a cooler, start early, let the kids take turns being the seeker(the one holding the GPSr), I sprnkled in a handful of caches that should have some trade items in them to keep the kids interested. We just got in our stamps that have the team name and the geocaching symbol (the G with the cross in the middle) and a line for the date. Hopefully the stamp should save some time as well as making our log signings stand out somewhat.

We are trying to find out more about some of these power trails especially ones that can be biked.

Just curious to see what has been everybody's best day of caching. By best day, we are purely talking number of caches. I am nearing my 100th find. to commemorate it I am preparing to attempt to find 100 in a single day. It should be tough but I am doing my homework and plotting out a route of 120 easy finds, an extra 20 just in case there are some DNF's. Gonna get started at the break of dawn and cache our butts off until we hit the century mark. I even ordered a stamp with our team name to trim the time of signing logs. It looks like July 17th will be the day. I will post a recap once it is over.

FIRST POST BTW

Same? or a new Topic? How many new finds (SL) in one continuous 24hr period without pre-planning before, calls for hints/locations, partners/teams, dog(s), driver, PC, etc. Like this - START CLOCK! by your self, load waypoints in GPS, drive/peddle/run/walk to the finds only by yourself with only one GPSr. The clock keeps running for eats, pottie breaks, etc. Any Honest people out there? GO

Same? or a new Topic? How many new finds (SL) in one continuous 24hr period without pre-planning before, calls for hints/locations, partners/teams, dog(s), driver, PC, etc. Like this - START CLOCK! by your self, load waypoints in GPS, drive/peddle/run/walk to the finds only by yourself with only one GPSr. The clock keeps running for eats, pottie breaks, etc. Any Honest people out there? GO

Under those conditions, my record is 72 caches in 15 hours. I would've done more (I was aiming for 100) but three things got in the way:

1. The area I targeted was more than an hour's drive from home. (And my ONLY pre-planning was to target that particular area.) When I got tired after dark, and it wasn't fun anymore, I stopped so that I could drive home without falling asleep at the wheel.

2. I had a rule that I couldn't take the GPS out of the car unless I couldn't find the cache after a few minutes' search - just to make it more challenging.

3. I avoided searching for caches in parking lots. Only four of the 72 were of that variety. Had I chosen an area with a high density of parking lot caches, I'm sure I could have found more.

9, I think.

How on earth does someone do over 100 in one day? I'm usually exhausted after doing a handful.

Am I missing something here?

100 LPCs wouldn't take much effort.

LPC's?...you don't get high numbers in a day by doing LPC's, too much wasted time driving around

got to go on a powertrail

we got 32 today, but was a leisurely bike ride on a beautiful summer day

i don't see myself enjoying a day running around like a chicken without a head caching from sunrise to sunset just to rack in a high number of finds, not my idea of fun

Well Ok. I guess if numbers turn you on go for it. For me I like to take my time. Go for a stroll in the desert. Enjoy the view and everything along the way. I'm retired and don't like doing anything in a rush. When I look in an area to cache if I can tell its a lampskirt quick find I won't even bother. Its such a waste of time. When I found my first lampskirt I was excited. Now its kids stuff. But as with anything people do they should do it the way that they get the most out of it. I had a guy just find my cache. He has 25000 finds so I'm glad I'm not a number guy. How would I ever catch him.

It is just the fun of the hunt and the great outdoors that makes geocaching a blast. With all the really hard ones to find, the easy ones, the completely lost and stolen ones its all fun. My most finds in one day was 31. :P

Updated-- My most finds in one day is now 50.. Will try to beat that record soon..

I think there should be 2 sets of answers.

Folks who do caches under normal circumstances, like driving to locations, or in a park..the normal kind of caching....and folks who do them on power cache trails. I found 101 in a day in suburban White Rock and Vancouver BC Canada. That was a lot tougher to do than find 400 caches in a row on the same trail with the same hide....

Nothing wrong with power trails I suppose, but I find that incredibly boring of an idea to do.

I think there should be 2 sets of answers.

Folks who do caches under normal circumstances, like driving to locations, or in a park..the normal kind of caching....and folks who do them on power cache trails. I found 101 in a day in suburban White Rock and Vancouver BC Canada. That was a lot tougher to do than find 400 caches in a row on the same trail with the same hide....

Nothing wrong with power trails I suppose, but I find that incredibly boring of an idea to do.

I found 40 in a day once through "normal" caching circumstances, and 231 in a day while doing the power trail. In my opinion, the 231 on the power trail was a lot 'harder' and not as 'fun.' It's all a matter of perspective, but I would reserve judgment on how 'hard' something is until you've tried it yourself :P

how can it be hard to do the highway which has 400 caches in a row? Its just a numbers run, thats fine...but if they are all the exact same kind of hides, all 530 feet apart.....I cant imagine finding them is hard.

Finding 100 caches with varying level of difficulties....trying to find parking...dealing with muggles....dealing with traffic....dealing with different owners. I cant imagine doing that is easier than 400 in a row of the exact same kind.

I am sure its an experience of its own and there is nothing wrong with doing that, if you like that kind of thing, but surely finding those kind of caches is just time consuming, not hard.

Most I did was about 20 in a day but I prefer QUALITY over quantity.

On my most finds in a single day I found caches with almost nothing and a log book. Sure I got the thrill of the find but if people are placing empty caches with logs for sheer numbers, it's just a waste for those that would have otherwise placed a quality cache with some goodies for the kids.

how can it be hard to do the highway which has 400 caches in a row? Its just a numbers run, thats fine...but if they are all the exact same kind of hides, all 530 feet apart.....I cant imagine finding them is hard.

Finding 100 caches with varying level of difficulties....trying to find parking...dealing with muggles....dealing with traffic....dealing with different owners. I cant imagine doing that is easier than 400 in a row of the exact same kind.

I am sure its an experience of its own and there is nothing wrong with doing that, if you like that kind of thing, but surely finding those kind of caches is just time consuming, not hard.

Finding 100 caches in the city is nothing compared to jumping in and out of your vehicle 400 times as fast as you can for as long as you can. We did the 100 caches in a day the first time in a city with well known hiders that put out difficult hides. It took us about 18 hrs, we started at 6am. I wasn't even as tired on that run as I was from the power trail run. They are two different animals. I just can't seem to stay in a city for too long anymore because of muggles, traffic, and parking. I look at it this way a cache run is a cahe run. They're just personal records anyway so why seperate the two. You should go try the E.T. highway(by yourself) and then come talk about how many you found and how tough it was. It's more endurance on a power trail and more patience for urban caching. Just our experience so far.

4 Germans, 4 Americans, all strangers to one another.

2 months of careful online cache selection and route planning in Dallas TX (where none of us had cached).

1 15-passenger van rigged out Friday night when we met at a hotel with GPS, power inverters, laptops, snack foods and a cooler of drinks.

24 incredible fun hours (9 a.m. Saturday till 9 a.m. Sunday); we never stopped caching or laughing.

8 exhausted but very happy geocachers.

293 finds, 31 DNFs.

None of us cared about the numbers nearly as much as the fun we had.

It's not something I want to do often but it was a memory that I will cherish for a lifetime.

The most in a day which was 18 hours in the city was 82. Just now on our way home from the ET HWY in one 16 hour period was 671, it was a hard and long experience the next day we did 5 hours to finish up the power trail we did another 350. For those people bashing power trails give it a try first it is so much harder than you think. We slept in our car in 20 degree weather out in the desert this was in December the 27th-28th only one hot meal and the rest snacks we grabbed at wal-mart....it was an amazing experience and the reward was not only numbers but the satifacation of know you accomplished this amazing task and it was just me and my husband. "don't knock it until you have the guts to try it"

I've never been able to get past a mere handful in a day. We have tried a couple of times to go on a numbers run but just can't get into it. For us a long walk in the woods is more fun than a bunch of park & grabs.

Same here - the best cache we ever did took us 8 hours, and involved walking about 12 miles, through the woods, at night.

The most for us is 14. What I consider our best day (so far) was only 2 (3 if you count the event that afternoon) and one of those was just because we were stopping there on the way home anyway. Yep, after 6 days of banging my head on the walls trying to figure out the solution to the puzzle and 2 trips to the cache site we managed to find it AND it was our first FTF :lol:

Edited by NicknPapa

Best I did was technically 30 in one day about a month ago, though we got one more just after midnight, making a total of 31 for the run. Two friends and I set out primarily to hit caches around Centralia, PA (the nearly-deserted ghost town with a decades-old coal mine fire under it). By the time we met up and had breakfast, it was early afternoon until we got started. Lots of driving, and some woodland caches; it was much more about fun than a pure numbers run.

I'm not sure what my best solo record is, I'll have to figure that out.

I also did E.T. 001 and 002, and then stopped. ;) I actually did quite the opposite of a numbers run on that trip, driving 2000+ miles for a total of twenty-some caches in six states over about a week. I much prefer quality to quantity. Some of the best caches I've ever found were way out in the middle of nowhere in the desert or the woods. The best cache ever was a 5/5 puzzle/multi, which took months of on-and-off teamwork to solve the multidimensional puzzles, and several days of hardcore caching to find all the stages. Now that was quality!

That said, I would like to try for a semi-serious numbers run some time when the weather improves. Almost guaranteed that will be with friends, as that's part of the fun.

I've never been able to get past a mere handful in a day. We have tried a couple of times to go on a numbers run but just can't get into it. For us a long walk in the woods is more fun than a bunch of park & grabs.

+1

I prefer the fact that caches take me to wonderful historic or rarely seen places.

Having said that, a fellow cacher has just done a power trail of 60+ caches along a new expressway that has a bikeway, so when the weather gets cooler in Australia, I'll give that a bash, as I have a couple of friends who want to do it as well. It will be my first caching day experience with friends.

Just last week we were able to find 16 caches in an afternoon. This is pretty good since we had to go to a nearby town to find them. It just seems to take so long to get the kids out of the Jeep, discuss in a calm manner (right!) who turn it is to carry the geocaching bag, find the cache, discuss in a calm manner once again who is going to trade what while I sign the log, and back to the car and to the next one.

We aren't usually focused on numbers but my previous most found (by myself) was 14. As we approached 14, the family became focused on setting a new family record. Logged find #801 this morning, so we are a bit focused once again to reach 1000 finds by a goal of March 1st.

:)