Must Do caches along Hwy 1 between San Luis Obispo and Santa Cruz

TrailGators

My wife and I are headed up to Santa Cruz in a few months. We are going to take the 101 to San Luis Obispo and veer off on the 1 to San Simeon. There we'll stop and see the Hearst Castle, which we've been told is very cool. From there we'll head up to Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey and finally to Santa Cruz. So if there are any great caches along that route, we'd really like to know about them. Thanks!

My wife and I are headed up to Santa Cruz in a few months. We are going to take the 101 to San Luis Obispo and veer off on the 1 to San Simeon. There we'll stop and see the Hearst Castle, which we've been told is very cool. From there we'll head up to Big Sur, Carmel, Monterey and finally to Santa Cruz. So if there are any great caches along that route, we'd really like to know about them. Thanks!

I visited Gem of Big Sur a few years ago but I just realized that I never logged it. :blink:

That is a great spot. It's so close to highway 1 but unless you stop, you'll never know it's there.

My wife and I are headed up to Santa Cruz in a few months. We are going to take the 101 to San Luis Obispo and veer off on the 1 to San Simeon.

Not right on your route but well worth the side loop from San Luis to Los Osos. There are some great caches in Los Osos and it is a lovely area besides. Then from Los Osos you get right back on Highway 1 near Morro Bay.

I visited Gem of Big Sur a few years ago but I just realized that I never logged it. :)

That is a great spot. It's so close to highway 1 but unless you stop, you'll never know it's there.

Thanks Randy! That looks like a great one! Plus my wife won't know that I'm caching because it's a virt! :lol:

My wife and I are headed up to Santa Cruz in a few months. We are going to take the 101 to San Luis Obispo and veer off on the 1 to San Simeon.

Not right on your route but well worth the side loop from San Luis to Los Osos. There are some great caches in Los Osos and it is a lovely area besides. Then from Los Osos you get right back on Highway 1 near Morro Bay.

Thanks. We could stay around there and head to San Simeon early in the morning. Do you remember any particular cache names?

Thanks. We could stay around there and head to San Simeon early in the morning. Do you remember any particular cache names?

If you are looking for some awesome hiking with no caches try parking at Hearst Park near GC240JA (On a Mission). Hike along the beach North, then up along the ridge (fence line) and pick up the trail heading out to the point. The Trail meanders North along some great beaches that are secluded. It's not a official hike but my bro lives in Los Osos and gave us the scoop. We have hiked it about 4 times and enjoy it. Just a thought!

If you are looking for some awesome hiking with no caches try parking at Hearst Park near GC240JA (On a Mission). Hike along the beach North, then up along the ridge (fence line) and pick up the trail heading out to the point. The Trail meanders North along some great beaches that are secluded. It's not a official hike but my bro lives in Los Osos and gave us the scoop. We have hiked it about 4 times and enjoy it. Just a thought!

Thanks! That sounds really cool! How long/difficult a hike is it?

The hike itself is flat and easy and you can go as far north as you need to. We usually go out for an hour or 2 then relax on a beach we hike to. Usually some cows are roaming around. Some awesome views on the point. Park on the street so you don't have to pay for parking.

The hike itself is flat and easy and you can go as far north as you need to. We usually go out for an hour or 2 then relax on a beach we hike to. Usually some cows are roaming around. Some awesome views on the point. Park on the street so you don't have to pay for parking.

Sounds like a great late afternoon/ early evening hike. Thanks!