SUNSHINE. FREEDOM. FLOWER.

Vanelle

Here's a look at the mint art for a new coin I'll be bringing to Geocoinfest. I'll be there for the first time as a vendor, and am a little nervous about the whole thing.

Right now, I'm waiting for the samples to arrive, and I'm hoping for some feedback. I'll need to decide how many to order in a couple of weeks and would like to gauge interest.

It will be 1.75", have it's own icon, and have a mix of translucent and PMS enamels. The pink indicates the mid-levels of the coin.

This is the result of a much tinkered with sketch from a while back. I'd be appreciative of any comments.

444c1d6a-6f05-486b-b21c-f8c8be32d038.jpg

Very nice and I am sure with your sense of color they will look nice. As for quantities, I have a dart board you could use. this is why I do reservations most of the time, for for coins at events I take a chance. some I make 100 some I do 250, it depends on how I think it will sell and how much I am willing to fund.

Good luck as a vendor.

I love this design, I'm quite sure the samples will be stunning.

About the quantities:

I think if you just "don't do" what I did my first solo project, then you'll be good. I minted 400 of a coin...what was I thinking?! Personally, I'd probably go 200 or 250. I've seen all your colors though (and ONE that I just LOVE) so I have an unfair advantage!

~Zel

It's good to get a feel for how many folks think they might want this coin, thanks for the responses. For folks not attending GCF, any left over I will certainly make available here. It's a matter of figuring out how many to make at this point.

Here's a look at the mint art for a new coin I'll be bringing to Geocoinfest. I'll be there for the first time as a vendor, and am a little nervous about the whole thing.

Right now, I'm waiting for the samples to arrive, and I'm hoping for some feedback. I'll need to decide how many to order in a couple of weeks and would like to gauge interest.

It will be 1.75", have it's own icon, and have a mix of translucent and PMS enamels. The pink indicates the mid-levels of the coin.

This is the result of a much tinkered with sketch from a while back. I'd be appreciative of any comments.

C'mon Vanelle

How can we deal with this stuff. So many great coins to take to Geocoinfest and we so far away from those :)

Is there any way to get those here in Portugal?

Paulo aka PLnauta

My initial reaction is that I like the overall feel of the coin very much. There are two elements that bother me a little. I like the font, but it's a little odd in all caps. I'm not against all caps or anything, there's just something about this particular font where it strikes me as odd. It shouldn't because I actually write this way and also appreciate the necessity of uniform height in encircling rings like this. I don't know, but I'll keep looking at it and see if it comes to mind eventually. The other thing is that I love the way you ran the text all the way around facing up and in toward the center of the coin on the front. What I don't get is why you flipped half the text on the back though. I know it's a 50/50 thing of preference, but this particular design really lends itself to keeping it uniformly facing up and in on both sides. I'd like to see the flower petals breaking the outer border as well to really give the illusion of depth receding into the center of the coin. That being said, I'm still a big fan of this design and would love to have one in my own collection. Really nicely done B)

postscript: I wish I'd found this thread earlier as my comments are a little late, but I'm looking forward to seeing your samples :P

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

I'll make some available after the event for folks here who can not attend. I will be completely shocked if I sell them all at GCF. So shocked, in fact, that I'll promise to make a new color combo for the forum folk if they turn out to actually be that popular.

I appreciate hearing from folks who think they might want one. It helps me decide on the final order number.

Edited by Vanelle

I like the font, but it's a little odd in all caps. I'm not against all caps or anything, there's just something about this particular font where it strikes me as odd. It shouldn't because I actually write this way and also appreciate the necessity of uniform height in encircling rings like this. I don't know, but I'll keep looking at it and see if it comes to mind eventually.

Let me know if you put your finger on it. So much of my daily work and graphic product is in all caps that it ended up appealing to me this way. Plus, this font is harder to read in lower case.

...I love the way you ran the text all the way around facing up and in toward the center of the coin on the front. What I don't get is why you flipped half the text on the back though. I know it's a 50/50 thing of preference, but this particular design really lends itself to keeping it uniformly facing up and in on both sides.

ARGHH.. The things you just don't NOTICE even though you pour over every little detail of the art until you are at the point where you've looked at it so long you aren't even sure you like it anymore! Turning the author's name the other way was a complete oversight.... lame lame lame.

postscript: I wish I'd found this thread earlier as my comments are a little late, but I'm looking forward to seeing your samples :)

I wish you had, too! B)

Seriously, thanks for the feedback - I am a fan of your work and appreciate the dialogue.

Arrrggg. I misread this post. I thought you were going to be at Geowoodstock. I sent money with a friend to get me one of these. Darn. I guess I had better find a ride to GCF or a friend.

They are very pretty, nicely done.

Oh, and I searched for her all over GW! I meant to tell you that she wasn't there!

I'll make some available after the event for folks here who can not attend. I will be completely shocked if I sell them all at GCF. So shocked, in fact, that I'll promise to make a new color combo for the forum folk if they turn out to actually be that popular.

I appreciate hearing from folks who think they might want one. It helps me decide on the final order number.

I'm not so often on this forum yet, but I think I should come more often. I just saw the sneak preview of the coin and I like the very much. If there are any left after the event I would be very interested to buy one, or maybe even more if there are different versions.

I'm not so often on this forum yet, but I think I should come more often. I just saw the sneak preview of the coin and I like the very much. If there are any left after the event I would be very interested to buy one, or maybe even more if there are different versions.

Yep, I like this coin even. I must have :unsure:

Please make some more, more and more coins for people who do not go to the event.

I will buy more then one from you! -_-

I'm at a family reunion in the UP of Michigan with no computer and sketchy cell reception. When I get home I'll see if I can post another photo. Most of the samples I have, though, are not the final color choices so are not helpful to share. I do have images of the final color and plating artwork though if that us of interest.

Here are the images of the final color choices for the versions to be on sale at GCF.

SUNSHINE version. Antique Gold. 75 minted.

37586_454934825711_164721920711_6117635_530486_n.jpg

FREEDOM version. Antique Silver. 100 minted.

37586_454934820711_164721920711_6117634_1987049_n.jpg

FLOWER version. Black Nickel. 50 minted.

37586_454934815711_164721920711_6117633_3910586_n.jpg

I also put up images, sketches, preview of coins on my Vanelle Facebook page. This page is more often updated and has more images than I manage to get into the forums. There's a photo album for each of my coin designs.

Well, the good news is, I only have to go one table over to STALK YOU AND GET EVERY ONE OF THESE COINS!!! :P

Love them so much!

And you can bet that some of us who aren't going are going to send our attending friends to stalk you on our behalf! (Anne, email to follow... :lol: )

They are all beautiful, but that Sunshine version is particularly striking. Really lovely color/metal combinations...I'll look forward to seeing pictures, and HOPEFULLY the real deal someday!

I can not believe that it is only one month until I am on my way to MN for coinfest. I am so much looking forward to it.

The Sunshine. Freedom. Flower. Geocoin is here and in-hand.

SUNSHINE VERSION - Antique Gold (75)

0c8b0143-7a86-4d83-beb0-f041a2b2bb13.jpg

FREEDOM VERSION - Antique Silver (100)

b32c206a-8e87-4b77-af7b-7e73238eea81.jpg

FLOWER VERSION - Black Nickel (50)

4ff79cdf-24dc-4ce9-a0e8-8897c5494133.jpg

I've been working hard on figuring out all kinds of GCF details, like banners and displays and a special something to accompany each sale. In addition, I will have a second coin design at the event. Small Things is in production and on schedule to be here around Labor Day. Once I get some good photos, I'll start a new thread.

If you just can't wait to see a peak at them, I've been posting sketches and progress on my Facebook Page.

Edited by Vanelle

Cool coin, love the translucents! Question, is that clear translucent on the Freedom Version? It kind of looks like clear translucent, but white underneath?

The Freedom version is blue translucent on the background. The flower is white PMS (opaque). I think it just may be the way the lighting hits it in the photo. I am not the best at photographing the coins.