Bison Tubes

42at42

I know they are waterproof but what practical use do they have? Besides being a sometimes aggrevating, frustrating object to find.

I guess you can use them to keep a match dry, if you break it in half. It is a good place to hide microfilm. It can keep an aspirin dry if you break it into small pieces.

Does anyone use these outside the geocaching world? (Keep it legal)

depending on the size, some are used for battery storage for hiking, some use them for papers when diving, mainly for pills also when it comes to the smaller ones.

Oh and I have one on my keychain that i keep aspirin in.

Edited by Jayman11

I believe the original use was for nitroglycerine tablets.

That was it. Nitroglycerin on a necklace. That way when someone hid a micro somebody in the forums could push a remote control button and the CO's head would be blown off.

no, nitroglycerine tablets don't explode

That was it. Nitroglycerin on a necklace. That way when someone hid a micro somebody in the forums could push a remote control button and the CO's head would be blown off.

Not if they're not in a (tah-dah!!) Bison Tube.
Our cat has a little tiny one on his collar with our address and phone number on a piece of paper in it.
If you mean one of these, that would not be a Bison tube, but they sure make for evil micros!!

8810.jpg

Nope, it's actually a little bison tube, and it's purple. We were going to use it for a cache, won it at a raffle, but decided we didn't want to hide a cache that small :blink: But I do know those sorts, and yes they DO make for evil hides!

Looks just like this one actually: purple-bison-tube-closed-M.jpg

We were shopping in our local Bible book store this week and saw a bison tube packaged as an "annointing oil" container. It was packaged along with a small (one ounce) bottle of annointing oil. I suppose it holds just enough oil to annoint something (or someone). This was the first time I'd ever seen one packaged for commercial (non-geocaching related) use.

We also have a handful of the pet ID tubes, only one of which has become an evil micro.

Oh strooth.

I just typed in "bisontube.com" (I won't make it a link) as I was curious.

Wish I hadn't.

Don't do it folks - unless you're very broad minded.

That'll be on my ISP's browsing record now :blink:

I just had to look. If you are broad minded, they sure have them. Not a place for a bearded 85 year old.

Oh strooth.

Wish I hadn't.

That'll be on my ISP's browsing record now ;)

How can they name it after Bison tubes and not have any micros? :blink: Edited by knowschad
Oh strooth.

Wish I hadn't.

That'll be on my ISP's browsing record now :o

How can they name it after Bison tubes and not have any micros? :blink:

Oh Wow. I think I'd be really disturbed if I found those as cache containers. ;) (Container: other)

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Clear your Temporary Internet Files, under Internet Options on the Control Panel. (If you're using Windows)

I've wondered what the use for Bison Tubes was besides for geocaching myself. I know REI sells them, which makes me wonder if there is some kind of hiking purpose as well.

I've wondered what the use for Bison Tubes was besides for geocaching myself. I know REI sells them, which makes me wonder if there is some kind of hiking purpose as well.

how'bout keeping a $20 bill or so dry on your keyring ?

Clear your Temporary Internet Files, under Internet Options on the Control Panel. (If you're using Windows)

That won't get rid of it. Your ISP keeps their own record of every page you visit.

Oh strooth.

Wish I hadn't.

ARRGH! MUST! RESIST! TEMPTATION!

Edited by BCProspectors

Oh you naughty naughty naughty people.

I said not to look didn't I?

But you just couldn't resist could you?

You had to go and look didn't you.

That's why I do these nasty jobs - so that you don't have to.

Look on it as a kind of public service I provide to protect the innocent and warn others of the dangers out there in the big bad interweb.

Now, must find the other sites people definately should not visit ...

:blink:

Oh you naughty naughty naughty people.

I said not to look didn't I?

But you just couldn't resist could you?

You had to go and look didn't you.

That's why I do these nasty jobs - so that you don't have to.

Look on it as a kind of public service I provide to protect the innocent and warn others of the dangers out there in the big bad interweb.

Now, must find the other sites people definately should not visit ...

:blink:

I did look at it at work; good thing I work from home!

That's my Paypal account boosted by all those extra hits on the website.

No, really, seriously, you are all very naughty people and you must stop it now, or you will get a jolly good spanking.

(If you want to see a website that shows what that involves, give me a shout)

I will desist now before I get thrown off the forums for behaviour likely to incite others to be naughty.

do too

Actually that was a joke, but since it became a topic of debate, you are both right!

There is no difference in the chemical explosive Nitroglycerin and the non-explosive medicine Nitroglycerine.

The chemistry is exactly the same.

The reason medical Nitroglycerin, commonly known as glyceryl trinitrate, won't explode is that the medicine is highly dilute. It is mixed in very small percentages with much larger percentages of stable agents.

Actually the only difference between medical Nitroglycerin and Dynamite is the percentage of Nitroglycerin used in the mixture.

Could medical Nitroglycerin be reduced to an explosive concentration? Sure. It would be a hideously inefficient and difficult way to derive a bit of explosive, but it can be done.

By the same token a bit of Dynamite could be used just as effectively as the medical form of Nitroglycerin, Dynamite being essentially nothing but a mixture of Nitroglycerin and clay wrapped in wax paper, but to avoid overdose because of the higher concentration it would have to be a very small bit! :blink:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I really do think that link and all it's reference needs to be removed from this "family-friendly" forum.

Have edited my post, although it wasn't a link - purposely. Apologies if offence caused.

Can't do anything about others contributions, thats up to them.

I wasn't offended.

I was just being logical. Someone would (pretend to) get offended and it's best to prevent that because that type of content is clearly against TOA.

I really do think that link and all it's reference needs to be removed from this "family-friendly" forum.

Have edited my post, although it wasn't a link - purposely. Apologies if offence caused.

Can't do anything about others contributions, thats up to them.

I wasn't offended.

I was just being logical. Someone would (pretend to) get offended and it's best to prevent that because that type of content is clearly against TOA.

Don't want to keep bumping this up but something odd is happening. Thought I had edited my original post but now it is back how it was and there is no 'Edit' button at the bottom. All my other posts have an edit button but not that one. Hmmm

I forgot this is a family forum, am so used to using forums where what I posted would just be seen as mildly amusing and not offensive as there was no direct link to the site so someone would have to purposely type the address into their browser (after being warned it was probably not a good idea), and not accidentally click on a hyperlink within the post.

But I take your well made point and would edit my post if the board would let me. But then several other people have quoted my words in their posts.

Again apologies if anyone was offended by the way I posted my warning about not looking at a particular website.

Lovejoy

Don't want to keep bumping this up but something odd is happening. Thought I had edited my original post but now it is back how it was and there is no 'Edit' button at the bottom. All my other posts have an edit button but not that one. Hmmm

Lovejoy

The ability to edit your post disappears after a certain amount of time. (I'm not sure how long that is)

The ability to edit your post disappears after a certain amount of time. (I'm not sure how long that is)

Ah, that explains it. In that case there's nothing I can do.

But as I said, quite a few people quoted my words so me editing my original post will not be good enough even if I could.

Probably best to let this topic sink naturally down the list.

To that end I won't post in it any more and will depart with my tail between my legs, a lesson learnt, and offering repeated apologies to anyone who was offended by what I wrote. And of course to the OP whose thread I inadvertantly hijacked with my misguided contribution - I hope your original question was answered before I put my foot in it.

Yours apologetically

Lovejoy

:)

Oh strooth.

Wish I hadn't.

That'll be on my ISP's browsing record now :)

Well now I know what ISP stands for yes you need a broad mind

will say this I thought a bison tube was used for well bison like the put a radio transmiter in it the they feed it to the bison and then you could find out where they go.

will say this I thought a bison tube was used for well bison like the put a radio transmiter in it the they feed it to the bison and then you could find out where they go.

That sounds like a hideously inefficient way of tracking a bison, since it is unlikely radio waves can travel through so many inches of bison meat, so the only thing you can tell is how far a bison travels before it, erm, evacuates.

WOW, this thread to I turn I didn't expect.

I went away for a couple of days and came back to .... ;)

My fault entirely, apologies.

I said I wouldn't post here again but as you have returned I think I ought to say sorry for hijacking your thread.

Got the answer I was looking for, so it is OK the thread went south.