Muggles? Really? Can't we be more creative?

Hi all,

I am writing to discuss the usage of the term "Muggles" for NON-geocachers...

In a hobby, that I have been obsessed with for the last year or so... this borrowed term from Harry Potter is my one complaint.

as you all know, this is a very unique hobby and 8 of 10 people don't even know what it is...

It is a hobby that requires wits, creativity and outright cleverness, either to hide or find!

The being said, isn't the "Geocache Nation" collectively clever enough to come up with our OWN word for non-geocachers.

Forgive me, if others have posted this... I did a quick search and found nothing...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies encouraged!

Hi all,

In a hobby, that I have been obsessed with for the last year or so... this borrowed term from Harry Potter is my one complaint.

as you all know, this is a very unique hobby and 8 of 10 people don't even know what it is...

It is a hobby that requires wits, creativity and outright cleverness, either to hide or find!

The being said, isn't the "Geocache Nation" collectively clever enough to come up with our OWN word for non-geocachers.

Forgive me, if others have posted this... I did a quick search and found nothing...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies encouraged!

Make a suggestion. If it catches on it will be adopted. Good luck with that! :blink:

Been caching for less than 2 years, yet I know far more about this hobby than I ever will about Harry Potter. Never read the books, never watched the films (in spite of my obsession with Emma Watson). As far as I'm concerned "muggle" is a geocaching term. I sometimes use the word "clown" when refering to muggles in cars. As in, "Is that clown gonna sit right next to that light pole all day?"

Been caching for less than 2 years, yet I know far more about this hobby than I ever will about Harry Potter. Never read the books, never watched the films (in spite of my obsession with Emma Watson). As far as I'm concerned "muggle" is a geocaching term. I sometimes use the word "clown" when refering to muggles in cars. As in, "Is that clown gonna sit right next to that light pole all day?"

I like Clown...

Borrowed term or not, I love it and think it's perfect for our sport. Adds the little touch of magic to our proceedings, and carries the implication of this whole hidden world of caches, lurking under lamp posts, sequestered in signs, resting under trees down paths no "normal" human would walk, going on all around that only a select few of us know about. :blink:

--Q

I don't care for the Harry Potter reference, but it's pretty firmly entrenched.

As a side note, I've been using the name "narcissa" online for about 15 years, and had no idea that there was a Harry Potter character with this name because I wouldn't touch that nonsense with a barge pole. I get a little testy when, between "narcissa" and "muggles," people assume I am some sort of fan of that literary equivalent to Cheez Whiz.

Hi all,

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies encouraged!

I actually like the term "muggle" since I think it helps convey a sense of the fun of our little game. I detest the "(insert whatever here) Nation" terminology though. :blink:

I refuse to use the word "muggle" in any logs. I think it's pretty lame and embarrassing. Other people are going to use it and that's fine, but I never will. I really don't care about Harry Potter at all and regardless of the fact that the word existed before those books, it's pretty closely associated with them now, and it really just sounds plain stupid.

I refuse to use the word "muggle" in any logs. I think it's pretty lame and embarrassing. Other people are going to use it and that's fine, but I never will. I really don't care about Harry Potter at all and regardless of the fact that the word existed before those books, it's pretty closely associated with them now, and it really just sounds plain stupid.
Did you read the threads above you? Muggle predates Harry Potter by a considerable amount. It is not a Harry Potter term. It is a drug term. That makes it much more appropriate for us to use, doesn't it?

Frankly, if someone can succeed in getting it changed, I would be as happy as a C.L.A.M.

HappyClam1.gif

I'll do the obligatory, it's been in use long before Harry Potter, bit... :blink:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/muggle

I do feel a little bit better about it now... thanks to clarification...But I am still curious to see if we come up with our own word

I think you could; but it would be hard to get the entire world caching community to catch on. Some people say "mugglers" instead... or you could just say "non-geocachers"; or you could just start using a word that you like and see what happens, perhaps others will think it's cool too.

What he said!!

Did you read the threads above you? Muggle predates Harry Potter by a considerable amount. It is not a Harry Potter term. It is a drug term. That makes it much more appropriate for us to use, doesn't it?

Frankly, if someone can succeed in getting it changed, I would be as happy as a C.L.A.M.

Did you read my post? :blink: I said that I knew the word didn't originate with Harry Potter.

And in drug terms "muggle" is a really old word for marijuana, it's probably a different etymology since it doesn't really have anything to do with people who are outside a group or not clued in.

What he said!!

She actually, but thanks!

Edited by astralsled

Did you read my post? :blink: I said that I knew the word didn't originate with Harry Potter.

Not really. ;):o

Did you read my post? ;) I said that I knew the word didn't originate with Harry Potter.

Not really. :o:o

:blink:

I really don't care about Harry Potter at all and regardless of the fact that the word existed before those books, it's pretty closely associated with them now, and it really just sounds plain stupid.

God forbid the original geocachers had been enthusiastic Tolkien readers. We could be calling these muggles "orcs" instead.

Or Sackville-Bagginses.

At the moment my mind is still boggling that the mere word "clam" brought up such images as those seen above. They're seriously freaking me out.

God forbid the original geocachers had been enthusiastic Tolkien readers. We could be calling these muggles "orcs" instead.

Or Sackville-Bagginses.

At the moment my mind is still boggling that the mere word "clam" brought up such images as those seen above. They're seriously freaking me out.

Or Proudfoots (Proudfeet!)

Considering I can't stand Harry Potter, I wasn't too keen on using this word either. God forbid the original geocachers had been enthusiastic Tolkien readers. We could be calling these muggles "orcs" instead. :blink:

A Clockwork Orange - they would be vecks and your buddies droogies.

HappyClam1.gif

Yeah, in some cases, more than others.

The more I think about this the more want to come up with an alternative to muggles. I'm a fan of the Matrix film (the first one only), so maybe I could start calling non-geocachers the "Blue-Pills" :blink:

Or maybe more generically speaking, the Cache-Nots!

To be honest, I think the best approach is just to come up with a terminology we're comfortable with for our personal use, but one that's transparent enough (or derived from entrenched pop culture) that people will figure out what you're referring to.

Edited by LincolnAdams
...snip (or derived from entrenched pop culture) that people will figure out what you're referring to.

I think that's the main issue, the underlying premise of muggles - 'someone who is not part of' - is easily understood by many of the geocaching population. It's (pop) cultural.

When I first started I thought using the term "Muggle" didn't quite fit the scenario, but I AM a Harry Potter fan (well more of a Ron fan :-D) and liked using the term.

I would go along with CLAMs shall we stage a coup?

but I was also thinking that any synonym to "commoners" would work...such as

"plebs"?

"proles"?

"bourgeois" or for short "bourg" haha LLAP!

"Mundanes."

Although I've never figured out how to combine geocaching with SCA.

I love this one!! I used to work at Ren Faires and do SCA. I think I'm going to start using that. I like it better than muggles.

So...when a previous , er...mundane learns what you've been calling them the derogatory connotation won't be a problem? You might do better by calling them Pedestrians even though it's more insulting.

Edited by BlueDeuce