Did I find the true benchmark?

NuBi

I don't think you did. What you have there looks like the manhole cover/power box described in the recovery notes. I'm wondering how a drill hole in the top of the pad can be 0.1m east of the east edge of the pad, personally, but that's just me.

quote:

THE MARK IS A STANDARD COLORADO SPRINGS DEPT. OF UTILITIES DISK SET IN A DRILL HOLE ON TOP OF THE NORTH END OF A CONCRETE SLAB THAT IS A UTILITY MANHOLE BOX WHICH MEASURES 2.17 M (7.12 FT) BY 4.15 M (13.62 FT) WITH A POWER BOX MARKED--FTGX19--. IT IS 52.0 M (170.6 FT) NORTHEAST FROM THE FRONT DOOR TO THE --CHURCH OF GOD OF PROPHECY--AT 6180 TEMPLETON GAP ROAD, 13.7 M (44.9 FT) SOUTH FROM A POWER POLE, 6.95 M (22.80 FT) EAST FROM THE CENTER LINE OF TEMPLETON GAP ROAD, 1.35 M (4.43 FT) NORTH-NORTHWEST FROM THE CENTER OF A MANHOLE, 0.1 M (0.3 FT) EAST FROM THE EAST EDGE OF THE PAD, 0.1 M (0.3 FT) SOUTH FROM THE NORTH EDGE OF THE PAD AND ABOUT THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE ROAD.

warm.gif

Based on your pics, it looks like you were in the right area but didnt't see the actual marker. As Fuzzy said, your photo appears to be a manhole cover. It is hard to tell from the picture, but if that cover was only 5 or 6 inches across it may be a cover over the hole that the mark is actually in, not a manhole. There's no scale reference in the pic to compare so I can't say. If it is that small, go back and open it up. The mark may be underneath the lid.

quote:
I'm wondering how a drill hole in the top of the pad can be 0.1m east of the east edge of the pad, personally, but that's just me.

That's a good question. There must be an error in there somewhere.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Doesn't look like you quite got it, but you were probably within 5 feet. Look around the edges of the concrete. It's hard to tell from your pictures, but it's possible the marker is covered with dirt or grass at the edge of the concrete. If you can't find the disk, look for a drill hole or other evidence the disk may have been there at some time in the past. It's also possible there's another manhole cover in the vicinity, and you just found the wrong one, although the markings on this one match the description. The coordinates on most of the benchmarks I've found are WAY OFF.

25021_1200.gif

FTGX, Fibernet Telecom, is a fiber optic network company based in New York. You can get their address and phone number from yahoo finance to inquire further about their network which this marker is a part of. Better hurry though, from their stock chart it looks like they are nearly bankrupt.

First off, the picture is of a manhole. I thought it could be the mark because it looks like a bulseye, and it had the writing welded onto it.

Now when I read the following after the fact...

THE MARK IS A STANDARD COLORADO SPRINGS DEPT. OF UTILITIES DISK SET IN A DRILL HOLE ON TOP OF THE NORTH END OF A CONCRETE SLAB THAT IS A UTILITY MANHOLE BOX WHICH MEASURES 2.17 M (7.12 FT) BY 4.15 M (13.62 FT) WITH A POWER BOX MARKED--FTGX19

First problem, is that I didn't know what a drill hole should look like. Second I didn't know what COS Utilities uses for benchmarks. And third, there was nothing else in that square cement pad besides the manhole.

1.35 M (4.43 FT) NORTH-NORTHWEST FROM THE CENTER OF A MANHOLE, 0.1 M (0.3 FT) EAST FROM THE EAST EDGE OF THE PAD, 0.1 M (0.3 FT) SOUTH FROM THE NORTH EDGE OF THE PAD AND ABOUT THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE ROAD.

This dosn't seem to make sence. In one line it says it's 4.43' N-NW but then it says it's east of the east edge of the pad.

And then the light came on!

I'm almost 100% sure I know the correct mark now. there was a hole about 4' NW of the manhole that had a stake nailed into it. There was a green plastic cover laying next to it that was broken in half. When I first saw it, it looked like a water sprinkler system. I'll have to go back tomorrow and take new pictures! icon_smile.gif

Anyone notice geocaching is more of a private secluded sport, while hunting for benchmarks seems to put you next to busy roads, and near curious onlookers who think you are crazy?

First off, the picture is of a manhole. I thought it could be the mark because it looks like a bulseye, and it had the writing welded onto it.

Now when I read the following after the fact...

THE MARK IS A STANDARD COLORADO SPRINGS DEPT. OF UTILITIES DISK SET IN A DRILL HOLE ON TOP OF THE NORTH END OF A CONCRETE SLAB THAT IS A UTILITY MANHOLE BOX WHICH MEASURES 2.17 M (7.12 FT) BY 4.15 M (13.62 FT) WITH A POWER BOX MARKED--FTGX19

First problem, is that I didn't know what a drill hole should look like. Second I didn't know what COS Utilities uses for benchmarks. And third, there was nothing else in that square cement pad besides the manhole.

1.35 M (4.43 FT) NORTH-NORTHWEST FROM THE CENTER OF A MANHOLE, 0.1 M (0.3 FT) EAST FROM THE EAST EDGE OF THE PAD, 0.1 M (0.3 FT) SOUTH FROM THE NORTH EDGE OF THE PAD AND ABOUT THE SAME HEIGHT AS THE ROAD.

This dosn't seem to make sence. In one line it says it's 4.43' N-NW but then it says it's east of the east edge of the pad.

And then the light came on!

I'm almost 100% sure I know the correct mark now. there was a hole about 4' NW of the manhole that had a stake nailed into it. There was a green plastic cover laying next to it that was broken in half. When I first saw it, it looked like a water sprinkler system. I'll have to go back tomorrow and take new pictures! icon_smile.gif

Anyone notice geocaching is more of a private secluded sport, while hunting for benchmarks seems to put you next to busy roads, and near curious onlookers who think you are crazy?

I went back to the location today and if you can believe it, the benchmark was ON THE CEMENT PAD. I must of had severe tunnel vision when approaching the area because as you can see in the picture, it was right there.

Anyway case closed.

Well congratulations on solving the mystery. I completely understand the tunnel-vision thing, I've had that happen a time or two.

Perhaps since you've found it you could explain to fuzzy and the rest of us how it could be "0.1 M (0.3 FT) EAST FROM THE EAST EDGE OF THE PAD" icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not lost!

Well congratulations on solving the mystery. I completely understand the tunnel-vision thing, I've had that happen a time or two.

Perhaps since you've found it you could explain to fuzzy and the rest of us how it could be "0.1 M (0.3 FT) EAST FROM THE EAST EDGE OF THE PAD" icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not lost!

It should of read 0.1 M East from the West edge of the pad.

But once you get there and actually open your eyes, it can be spotted from 15' away.

Does anyone else out here like benchmarking better then geocaching? For me, this activity shadows geocaching by far.

NuBi

quote:
Originally posted by NuBi:

Does anyone else out here like benchmarking better then geocaching? For me, this activity shadows geocaching by far.

NuBi

For me, benchmarking is a nice diversion when I run out of nearby caches, or when I already have a bad case of poison ivy and really don't need to get any more. It's a great supplement to geocaching, but won't take its place.

25021_1200.gif

There are new aspects to benchmark hunting that I think are interesting. Most of the benchmarks in my area haven’t been monumented since the late 60’s (notice the benchmarking terminology [:-)] ) and reporting them to the NGS is cool. It also requires a new set of skills, interpreting directions from the surveyors! The GPS coordinates are so far off in my area that I don’t take my GPSr to benchmark hunt. It has also required a little “social engineering” to get access to some places. I just logged a TV tower that was a lot of fun.

Very different than a cache, but fun nonetheless…. Each has their own draw.

-ifranz

I love looking for benchmarks. I suppose it has something to do with finding them with my best friend when we were kids and we would walk along the local railroad tracks looking for them according to where the topo map put them. Yes, even then I loved topo maps. When I finally get my GPS, I'll try geocaching, but I don't think it will replace benchmark hunting for me.

Any solid and unmoving object can be a benchmark. Rivets and bolts are commonly used. In fact, flange bolts on fire hydrants are probably the most common benchmarks in this country today. Railroad spikes in power poles are also very common in areas lacking fire hydrants. Private surveyors typically use such objects rather than setting disks which are more costly.