50 State Commemorative Geocoins

CacheAddict.com

So here is the background...

I have samples of three states using the artwork of the US Quarter. The artworkcan be used provided I don't try and make counterfeit coins. I have two different size samples and I am looking for feedback on which one or both to produce.

The large size is 38mm x 3mm (1.5" round) and the small is the size of a quarter 24.26mm x 1.75mm.

The back of the coin is the same right now but I think that will change. Right now I have tracking on both but the small one is difficult to read. I think I will move the tracking words where the words "50 State Commemorative Geocoins" are and then make the tracking number larger at the bottom on the small coin only.

As for sales I was thinking to sell them as sets and have the same tracking number on the large and the small, you could choose which coin to send out.

Here are pictures of the samples. Also included is a picture of a few in a quarter map. I was thinking of having a special map made to sell for people to place there coins in. Let me know if that is worthwhile. I will be producing all the states during the next year. No time-frame right now.

Other feedback I am looking for is on the back of the coin. Like dislike, changes?

P1020677.JPGP1020682.JPG

P1020678.JPGP1020683.JPG

P1020679.JPGP1020684.JPG

P1020680.JPGP1020685.JPG

I like those Mike, and have been waiting for you to reveal them - knew you had them in the works.

My feeling is that you should do both sizes, and have matching tracking as you said, but I would move the tracking to the edge to facilitate readability.

I would only group in sets at a discount, but if it were me, I would sell them individually so those from individual states could purchase just the one if they wanted.

Although, you could reserve 'sets' for those who would be interested in the sets.

As far as state quarter artwork, that is US Government Public Domain art, as all artwork produced by the US Gov't is, so you don't have to worry about that. (That is stated in USC Title 17) :D

Good Job on these.. I like 'em!

~J

I like the idea so much, that just the other day I was discussing doing a set like this with my father! But we hadn't thought of using the Quarter Art!

I'd also come to the conclusion that it was going to be a while before I could begin a project like this, as it's really more than my budget was going to be able to handle for a year or two. I'm really glad somebody is. Any thoughts on multiple editions/metals?

For me, I'd love to fill my collection with Nickel, except for the states I've visited, where I'd like Gold. Or perhaps split on the Satin/Antique line rather than Gold/Silver.

I *really* like the idea of a matched set of small and large.

Edited by Mekle

I've been anxious about this since the first time you mentioned it back when your flag series first started.

We will want a full set and a map.

We would prefer gold to silver. Preferably satin gold. Shiny is cool but we've got grand kids that need to touch things in order to fully appreciate them. It's just a matter of time before a cookie or mustard contaminated hand has a coin in it. :D

Considering there are going to be 100 coins I'm going to need some lead time to convince the finance minister that this is more important than a set of motorcycle tires. I started 15 minutes ago but she's having a problem with the open ended cost concept. She's reminding me that unlike BP we can't pass the cost overruns on.

If the Map's going to hold the smaller coins, I don't care whether they're trackable or not, but those that buy individual coins will want the smaller coin trackable in case they want to send it out traveling. How tough or costly is it to have the tracking information done on the edges? That would be best as far as I can see.

Once full ours will be framed and hung on a wall. I've got a United We Cache coin that's a shape cut out of a flag with the states outlined in gold. How about something like that for the map background design?

Like Geocaoin Guy, I will want multiples of some states so I hope you make extras available.

I really like them! If I have the money and the price is right, I will likely try for the set.

However, I have a few concerns.

1. I don't think the 2 sizes are a good idea unless the price is very reasonably low. I am a new collector, but at the same time, I am still a collector. That generally means getting complete sets with all available editions (for example, I traded with Vanelle to get her artist edition Axial Intervals and somehow lucked into a full set of Tribal Suns as well). However, I even thought the 8 A.I. coins was a bit much and questioned my sanity when I got 3 of the same coin (T.S.) in different colors.

See, one of the problems I have with the Geocoin community is bloat, which why I intend to severely limit my collecting to exceptionally awesome coins and/or coins with reasonably aquirable (full) sets. Right now, it looks like you are talking 2 sizes with what looks like at least two metals. For the completionist, that's 4 coins (and could be more with other metals). Multiply that by 50 and we're already looking at a 200 coin set.

I know you run a business, but you are already trying to sell a 50 coin set (that won't cost a quarter each save for a miracle). It is almost off-putting to the collector in me to imagine the magnitude (and cost) multiplying as the metal types and sizes increase. On one hand, it's epic. But on the other, much more reasonable hand, it feels like I'm going to be taken advantage of. If this set has Artist Editions I might explode. Part of me thinks (or perhaps wants to believe) more sets will sell if people know that if they've bought all 50 coins (and only 50) that they have the line.

This is not necessarily a knock against you or the coins in particular, either, but a criticism of the Geocoin community at large. Every time I see a coin with 5+ color/metal variations I want to scream. Even the US Mint doesn't pull that sort of stuff. As I did say, though, I am incredibly interested and I know you are only in the planning stages right now, anyway.

2. The back is a bit akward. Way too cramped; I didn't even notice the flag at first. I think tracking information on the edges is a great idea. Maybe a little more color, or no color at all.

3. I love the map idea...but I only want one, and only want to need to fill in one. :D:lol:;)

Question: What does the inscription at the bottom mean, and why don't all the coins have it? (If it's meant to be e pluribus unum's replacement).

Like the idea, but no way could I afford all of them. Maybe the states I’ve visited if they were stretched out over time. There seems to be some confusion over what you meant by a set. I assumed when you said you were thinking about selling them as a set only, you meant the large and small size coin for each state, not the entire 50 states as some people seem to gotten.

My concerns are will there be preorders? I think a big concern would be that someone might start collecting them and then miss a sale. While I know I couldn’t afford all of them if I did decide to collect certain ones I’d hate to miss one and have to resort to ebay to get it.

Will there be the option of getting the map in the small or large coin size so that those who want to send on traveling can choose which?

The fronts are really nice, but I don’t care for the back at all. Maybe if you broke up the color some. Red, white and blue states? Loose the states altogether and do a US shaped cutout of a flag? My last thought is to leave the back color free. But since I can’t see the coin in person and it may not look as bad as it does in the pic….

Those are my thoughts. I hope they are what you were asking for.

Question: What does the inscription at the bottom mean, and why don't all the coins have it? (If it's meant to be e pluribus unum's replacement).

It is Latin for 'copy coin'. Thought it would be cool replace the Latin with other Latin and in everything I read you should out 'copy' or 'replica' on a product list this especially the quarter size ones.

I assumed when you said you were thinking about selling them as a set only, you meant the large and small size coin for each state, not the entire 50 states as some people seem to gotten.

If I sell both sizes I would look to set them in a two coin set. I will most likely sell these over an entire year to complete the 50 coin series. Maybe 5 a month or so, have not decided but also don't want to stretch it out to long.

Those are my thoughts. I hope they are what you were asking for.

Thanks and yes. This was at least the 8th back design I tried. I wanted to tie in the fact of '50 States' so that is why I went with the map. The other thought was to color fill only the sate on the front but not sure how that would look.

I'll except any ideas....

Edited by CacheAddict.com
I really like them! If I have the money and the price is right, I will likely try for the set.

With the large size being 1.5" and if I make the tracking the same on both coins, I should be able to get the price in the $10-12 range. Hope that works.

This is not necessarily a knock against you or the coins in particular, either, but a criticism of the Geocoin community at large. Every time I see a coin with 5+ color/metal variations I want to scream. Even the US Mint doesn't pull that sort of stuff.

The US Mint is usually in the business of making currency not collectors items (although people collect what they make). Beyond that, I find that some people buy certain metals and not others. If I offer the coin in multiples then people can pick and choose what they want. They get to chose not me.

I think what he meant by 'sets' was the he is doing the coins 3 states at a time and selling those 3 in sets. While I agree with Cappazushi on a couple of points, what I don't agree with is 'bloat'.

What you have to understand is that 'most' manufacturers have regular jobs and those jobs finance their coins.. the premise behind selling these coins in sets or individually for that matter is to finance the 'next' set or individual coin, without taking personal finances away from said manufacturers' family.

At least I know that's the case with me. When I dump a couple grand into a coin production, the sales resulting from that coin finances the next I have in the pipeline (reinvesting the original funds).

Multiple finishes come with multiple prices from the production facilities, and metal prices fluctuate over time, so a manufacturer cannot guarantee that the price of one 'set' will be the same for another down the road.

I don't believe any manufacturer is attempting to 'take advantage' of any coin consumer. As a self proclaimed 'NEW COLLECTOR', you are quick to assume this and in the defense of all coin producers, myself included, multiple platings are done to afford those 'seasoned' collectors the opportunity to collect their personal favorite without alienating the masses.

The point of this thread was for feedback to the manufacturer. While I'm sure each has their own opinions for the production of the 50 State set, its ultimately up to the manufacturer to weigh out what is cost effective for the production given all the feedback received and weed out the criticism directed at the 'geocoin community at large'.

Having said that, I hadn't taken a good look at the back of the coin and agree with Wolfslady in that the red should indeed be broken up, because due to the size reduction, the defining lines on the eastern seaboard states would be too thin to distinguish them individually.

Sorry for 'hijacking' your thread Mike.

~J

I feel a bit misunderstood.

I don't believe all seasoned collectors are only going after their favorite metals and colors. While there are serious collectors out their like that, there are definitely others trying to "collect them all" as in each make of an individual coin. I stand by my point that seeing 5 or more versions of a single coin is excessive. Currency typically has 2-4 different printings and half are typically dirt cheap save (P and D vs. proof sets and uncirculateds). And the collectors still moan that the mint is raking them over the coals.

I know Geocoin collecting is different. The coins have no true value and don't have the mintage to drive the price that low and buying a couple of the coins you especially like is not that big of a deal. This set is different though, because it is small sets (2 coins+) times 50. So please understand why I think that keeping the number of individual coins per state low to accomodate those seeking to purchase the full line of 50 is a reasonable suggestion.

Anyway, what does the Latin inscription actually read? It's a little hard to see. Aside...I actually think the faces without that text look classier.

As it stands now, I'm thinking I'll try and get a full set of 50 states in one variety if possible, because I'm not crazy about being forced to buy 2 sizes anymore.

<snip>

Currency typically has 2-4 different printings and half are typically dirt cheap save (P and D vs. proof sets and uncirculateds). And the collectors still moan that the mint is raking them over the coals.

I know Geocoin collecting is different. The coins have no true value and don't have the mintage to drive the price that low and buying a couple of the coins you especially like is not that big of a deal. This set is different though, because it is small sets (2 coins+) times 50. So please understand why I think that keeping the number of individual coins per state low to accomodate those seeking to purchase the full line of 50 is a reasonable suggestion.

</snip>

You're absolutely right. Geocoin Collecting is INDEED different. However, to say that geocoins have no value, I must disagree. As a manufacturer, each coin produced has a value. If it didn't, they would be free to the public. They cost money to make, therefore have value. They are bought, sold & traded on the secondary market, therefore they have value. That value is determined on the price or trade another collector is willing to pay or trade for them.

Don't get me wrong, collecting geocoins can get quite pricey... and collections amassed can range from a few dollars into the thousands. Limiting a production of a single coin in low numbers to facilitate completing a 'set' accomplishes just the opposite of your intention. Essentially, if an individual only wants to collect a certain state, that reduces the amount of 'complete sets' than can be attained by one (or however many coins a 'state' collector purchases). It makes it that much harder to complete a set... but that's where the fun and excitement in 'trading' coins (see pinned thread at the top of this forum on trading) comes into play.

Just my 2¢

~J

I'm a newbie here, but I like the idea of 2 coins. I'm not yet an avid collector (gasp, I know) so I would definitely release 1 of the coin sets into caches. My family is just thrilled when we come across coins in the wild, so our goal is to release them whenever we can afford to do it.

I also like the idea of "mini sets" where I could buy, say, 5 states or so at a time for a little discount or I could buy individual states for a higher price.

I don't like the shiny metal choice. I think they would look better in a satin or an antique finish.

When I got the samples I thought the same thing, satin gold and/or satin silver. Not looking to produce 4 or 5 versions, think 2 is plenty in this case. Maybe at some point a speacial antique minting.

What are the thoughts on the set of 2 (large and small) verses one size or two sizes with separate tracking? The set limits the ability to buy only the large or only the small but at the cost I think I can do these for, we should be ok there.

I don't like the shiny metal choice. I think they would look better in a satin or an antique finish.

When I got the samples I thought the same thing, satin gold and/or satin silver. Not looking to produce 4 or 5 versions, think 2 is plenty in this case. Maybe at some point a speacial antique minting.

What are the thoughts on the set of 2 (large and small) verses one size or two sizes with separate tracking? The set limits the ability to buy only the large or only the small but at the cost I think I can do these for, we should be ok there.

Are you talking identical tracking on both the large and small state coins?

In regards to sets, are you leaning on just grouping the large and small coins for each state as a 'set' or are your going to group a few state coins at a time (ie: California, Arizona & Colorado as 'Set 1', Texas, Oregon, Kansas as 'Set 2' etc.)?

~J

Are you talking identical tracking on both the large and small state coins?

In regards to sets, are you leaning on just grouping the large and small coins for each state as a 'set' or are your going to group a few state coins at a time (ie: California, Arizona & Colorado as 'Set 1', Texas, Oregon, Kansas as 'Set 2' etc.)?

~J

Looking to sell as 2 coin set (large and small) same tracking number. Would not sell just one size if people wanted just to buy a small or a large....feedback?

Would be releasing these in groups of 3-5 coins each month or so. Help spread the cost out over time but not stretch it out too long.

this might be one of those times I take reservations the first few months to guage the market and then just start stocking the balance after that.

Looking to sell as 2 coin set (large and small) same tracking number. Would not sell just one size if people wanted just to buy a small or a large....feedback?

Would be releasing these in groups of 3-5 coins each month or so. Help spread the cost out over time but not stretch it out too long.

this might be one of those times I take reservations the first few months to guage the market and then just start stocking the balance after that.

That's what I thought you meant - That would be the smart thing, although 3-5 per month may be a bit much. I was thinking (JMHO) that 1 every 3 weeks would not cramp those wanting to collect the entire set. I'd be down for that :blink:

~J

I'm kind of into this. I only collect washington coins, but I decided that as I started grabbing caches while vacationing, I would collect a coin from each state I got a cache in, as I got the caches. As of right now, I only need Oregon and California. This might make it kind of fun to have a map in the office to add to as time goes on. Though I'm also thinking I might just by a coin from each geocaching organization per state to help fund local projects.

I'm digging it though, good luck!

Ideas for back would be accepted.

What about the large coin have "The United States of America" and the map (no lines) raised and the red, white & blue of the flag behind half raised. The tracking words still on the back with the number on the map or the edge.

The small coin would be similar but no flag and the tracking words would still be on the back, number on the map.

I would just double check the following bit of law:

TITLE 15--COMMERCE AND TRADE

CHAPTER 48--HOBBY PROTECTION

( B ) Coins and other numismatic items

The manufacture in the United States, or the importation into the

United States, for introduction into or distribution in commerce of any

imitation numismatic item which is not plainly and permanently marked

``copy'', is unlawful and is an unfair or deceptive act or practice in

commerce under the Federal Trade Commission Act [15 U.S.C. 41 et seq.].

You may be ok, but just make sure.

Edited by dhenninger

It plainly states "copy".....in Latin "lamnia"

Haha i guess i missed that, I hardly speak english, let alone latin :blink:

Hmmm -- that might actually be something to double-check with a lawyer. What you'd want to know is whether the use of quotes in the law requires that you use what's in the quotes, verbatim (i.e., "COPY", both in English and in all caps) or whether the word "copy" can be in any language.

I like the coins very much. I like the idea of silver ones because they look more like quarters, and I don't mind them being shiny because you've got a texture background going that helps knock down the shine some, though sandblasted nickel might look pretty cool. I don't think I'd mind gold either -- I think it would look neat -- but that does take it a little bit farther away from the concept of "quarter".

I think that you should be careful with the idea of having a large/small coin set with the same tracking number on both coins. You'd have to be really careful about making sure people know they can only release one. Might I recommend, if Groundspeak approves it, that you not only move the tracking number to the edge, but that you also engrave "COPY PC1234" (or whatever the tracking code is), like a Travel Bug, so that it's clear that one really is a copy?

Alternately, make it so that the small coins, the ones that are going to go into the folder, are nontrackable. I know that prevents you from being able to advertise them directly here, but it also gives people the option to buy the small coins only (if they're jazzed about the folder) without having to buy 50 sets of 2 coins (that's a lot of coins).

This is definitely something I'd collect. Of course, I'd want a set (large-and-small). I'd appreciate being able to subscribe on a quarterly (hah hah hah!) basis if you release the coins, say, one set per month, so I'm not forking out the cost of all 50 sets at once. Perhaps a slight discount for subscribers? (5%? 10%?)