Does NGS want reports on CORS Stations?

TheBeanTeam

I would think they would not want "Good" reports, since the continuous monitoring of the signal tells them it is still there. If there were something threatening the integrity of the station (erosion under the base, cracked structure, etc), it might be good to let them know about that.

I am hoping that your camera was not level, and the antenna pole was really vertical.

I would think they would not want "Good" reports, since the continuous monitoring of the signal tells them it is still there. If there were something threatening the integrity of the station (erosion under the base, cracked structure, etc), it might be good to let them know about that.

I am hoping that your camera was not level, and the antenna pole was really vertical.

Yeah - Bill's correct - don't report any logs for CORS stations. They're connected up to NGS with real live data, and report their status back quite often, so if one is 'not found', someone already knows of it. :blink:

This is what I thought as well. Just wondering what others thought. Good point about reporting if there was something threatening the station integrity. This one seems in fine shape and is likely vertical but if it is the wall on the nearby structure is out of plumb.

1ddaf54c-6912-4aa1-ae5a-4f690e188a7e.jpg

The station itself seems unlikely to move. The pipe is in a drilled 12 meter deep hole. and braced on 4 sides.

"Monument is a "drilled braced monument" constructed by EarthSafe. A vertical 5 cm galvanized schedule 80 pipe is set into a 12 meter-deep drilled hole. Four additional galvanized pipes are set into holes drilled 30 degrees from vertical. The four angled pipes meet, and are welded to, the central pipe approximately 2 meters above the ground surface."

Guys,

The CORS stations do NOT need to be plumb, they simply need to be very solid into the ground. The deep earth monitoring stations, like this station below, that I have seen are generally not very plumb, or perpendicular. They are intended for movement monitoring and so they do not have any real vertical measuring point, just the phase center, a very ambiguous position in the antenna head.

These stations are monitored for a time period before they go online to establish a base position and then they are continuously monitored while running. The position on CORS stations even get a velocity due to the fact that all stations are continuously moving. So the antenna really does not need to be perfect

Kurt

Guys,

The CORS stations do NOT need to be plumb, they simply need to be very solid into the ground. The deep earth monitoring stations, like this station below, that I have seen are generally not very plumb, or perpendicular. They are intended for movement monitoring and so they do not have any real vertical measuring point, just the phase center, a very ambiguous position in the antenna head.

These stations are monitored for a time period before they go online to establish a base position and then they are continuously monitored while running. The position on CORS stations even get a velocity due to the fact that all stations are continuously moving. So the antenna really does not need to be perfect

Kurt

Very interesting and good to know. Thanks for the info.