When do you graduate from "newbiedom"?

debbieandbobby

Once you have completed at least 7 of the following - you are no longer a newbie:

• Returned to work after lunch hour with muddy shoes/clothes and tussled hair after Geocaching
  • lost blood while searching for a cache
  • had the batteries in your GPS die half way down the trail to the cache
  • lost blood while creating/hiding a new cache
  • Forgot a writing utensil so had to sign the log with [pick one] (blood, grass, mud, leaves)
  • found that difficulty 1 cache on the 3rd try
  • Drove 40 miles off your vacation route to find a cache
  • tell your spouse that you'll be back in 20 minutes for that cache 1500 feet away - (you return in an hour)
  • subltly drop a matchbox car in a depleted cache for your kid to find
  • Get flamed in the forums for asking a newbie question
  • You cannot drive 10 minutes without spotting a few potential hiding spots
  • When you are comfortable enough to stop thinking of yourself as a newbie

Well, we have accomplished all these, so by your definitions we're not newbies any more!

Thanks!

• Returned to work after lunch hour with muddy shoes/clothes and tussled hair after Geocaching
  • tell your spouse that you'll be back in 20 minutes for that cache 1500 feet away - (you return in an hour)

In your opinion(s), when is a novice no longer a novice? Just curious; I know we're not there yet (52).

If you talk to someone who has 1 find less than you, you are not a Novice. If you talk to someone who has 1 more find than you then you are a Novice.

Once you have completed at least 7 of the following - you are no longer a newbie:

• lost blood while creating/hiding a new cache
  • Forgot a writing utensil so had to sign the log with [pick one] (blood, grass, mud, leaves)
  • subltly drop a matchbox car in a depleted cache for your kid to find

Almost 1000 finds and still a newb :D

The thing that keeps this hobby frsh is there is always something new to learn. You may find a cool macro and be able to teach a few older members. You'll always see new ways to hide a cache. It's great.

• Forgot a writing utensil so had to sign the log with [pick one] (blood, grass, mud, leaves) ( I broke open a an unsharpened pencil in half and took out the graphite, it was hidden deep inside my swag bag in a small kit from peco)
  • found that difficulty 1 cache on the 3rd try (No I haven't done this, still looking after 5th!)

Yay!

BROKE MY LEG! :o

That is how my cache log began, less than two months into geocaching. Using a tree branch as a crutch and several hours later, I managed to hobble a mile back to my van and drove myself to the hospital.

But no; that's not when I ended being a newbie. :blink:

It was one week later. There I was crawling around on the ground on my hands and knees with a fresh cast on my leg, looking for a cache hidden under a pine tree. I think that's when I ended being a complete newbie, but still was a complete idiot! You wouldn't believe the number of caches I later did on crutches. ;)