New Linux Geocaching Software

Hi I'm half of team maddy82.

I'm an Ubuntu user and haven't really been satisfied with what's available to geocachers on the Linux side of things, mostly a combo of command line tools and using QTLandeKarte (the Linux equivalent to Mapsource). I also played a little with Cache901, which is multi platform but not quite what I was hoping for.

So being a professional software developer for a living, I've started writing my own program, which is still at an alpha stage but far enough along now that I'm announcing it here. You'll need a GPX enabled machine like a Colorado/Oregon for 0.13, 0.14 will introduce GPSBabel integration. For the Americans, you'll also have to live with metric measurements at this stage. If you have any objections to the mono framework you should probably pass on my app.

Project website: https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencachemanage/

I've just released version 0.13, and will keep updating every Sundayish until I get my todo list done. At that point I'll move the project to a Beta and release .deb packages for Ubuntu and possibly a binary install for other Linux variants.

Here's the correct steps for Ubuntu 9.04/9.10. It won't work on Ubuntu 10.04 yet (different version of Webkit, the browser used to show a map), and the steps are different for RPM based distributions like Fedora.

Get Additional Dependencies

This only needs to be done once

1) Open a terminal window

2) Type "sudo apt-get install mono-gmcs"

3) Type "sudo apt-get install libwebkit1.0-cil"

4) Type "sudo apt-get install libgtkhtml3.16-cil"

Build and Install

1) Get the latest Source package from the project site (http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencachemanage/)

2) Extract the file to your home directory or another location

3) Open a terminal window

4) CD into the directory where you extracted the above

5) Type "./configure"

6) Type "sudo make install"

Once that is complete, you should see "Open Cache Manager" in your Applications menu under "Internet"

You might have issues with GPXs exported from GSAK. Upgrade GSAK to the latest version first.

Here are the current still to do items:

- Bookmark lists (kinda like GSAK saved filters)

- Cache notes

- Attributes for GPX 1.0.1

- Import LOC files

- Documentation

- Process Field Notes from supported devices

- GPSBabel integration (coming in 0.14)

- Moving caches between DBs

- Print a cache listing

- Extendibility support for user created tools

- Various bugs and tweaks

Edited by maddy82

Bit useless for me as I'm not a premium member, but I thought I'd give it a go nonetheless.

A funny quirk I've found: when calling the program from the terminal:

$ ocm-gtk

I get the following output:

(/usr/local/lib/opencachemanager/ocm-gtk.exe:2299): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for ocmgtk.OCMSplash ---> GLib.GException: Failed to open file './icons/scalable/traditional.svg': No such file or directory
 at Gdk.Pixbuf..ctor (System.String filename, Int32 width, Int32 height) [0x00000] 
 at ocmgtk.OCMSplash..cctor () [0x00000] 
 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
 at ocmgtk.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] 

..followed by a crash (or exit - not sure which. Either way, the program doesn't start).

When selecting the program from the Internet menu, the program starts up fine. No idea why this occurs, as the menu shortcut calls ocm-gtk doesn't it?

Otherwise, certainly looks interesting - I especially like the use of OSM maps!

Params:

Ubuntu 9.10

Acer One netbook

All pre-requisites installed as per the OP.

Edited by tiiiim

Bit useless for me as I'm not a premium member, but I thought I'd give it a go nonetheless.

A funny quirk I've found: when calling the program from the terminal:

$ ocm-gtk

I get the following output:

(/usr/local/lib/opencachemanager/ocm-gtk.exe:2299): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for ocmgtk.OCMSplash ---> GLib.GException: Failed to open file './icons/scalable/traditional.svg': No such file or directory
 at Gdk.Pixbuf..ctor (System.String filename, Int32 width, Int32 height) [0x00000] 
 at ocmgtk.OCMSplash..cctor () [0x00000] 
 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
 at ocmgtk.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] 

..followed by a crash (or exit - not sure which. Either way, the program doesn't start).

When selecting the program from the Internet menu, the program starts up fine. No idea why this occurs, as the menu shortcut calls ocm-gtk doesn't it?

Otherwise, certainly looks interesting - I especially like the use of OSM maps!

Params:

Ubuntu 9.10

Acer One netbook

All pre-requisites installed as per the OP.

It's a bug in the actual startup script where it doesn't set the correct working directory (the .desktop file in the menu does set the right directory before calling ocm-gtk). Importing LOC files for non-premium members is on the todo list, but of course you won't get the benefits of viewing cache logs and such.

It's a bug in the actual startup script where it doesn't set the correct working directory (the .desktop file in the menu does set the right directory before calling ocm-gtk). Importing LOC files for non-premium members is on the todo list, but of course you won't get the benefits of viewing cache logs and such.

Thanks for that - and yeah, I read the todo list too and there'll be an impressive set of features on this once finished. May even make me become a Premium Member.... :blink:

Any chance of opening up some sort of svn access, so I/we can easily update?

Thanks for that - and yeah, I read the todo list too and there'll be an impressive set of features on this once finished. May even make me become a Premium Member.... :blink:

Any chance of opening up some sort of svn access, so I/we can easily update?

The SVN is here:

svn co https://opencachemanage.svn.sourceforge.net...opencachemanage opencachemanage

N.B it's a little behind, as I'm the only one adding stuff in and I've been a little sloppy on committing changes. To get write access to the SVN, you need to click on the "request to join this project" on the develop tab from the project site on soureforge.

I'm having trouble with the installation on 11.04. Download, OK. Unpack tarball, OK. Install, is where the problems start. ./configure seems to work ok, but make install doesn't do anything. I get "make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop."

The extra libraries above were helpful, as they are no longer in the main build for 11.04. However, libwebkit1.0-cil, has also been updated and is no longer available.

Sorry if I'm being a nube, but I'd really like to make linux my main platform, and am trying to find an alternative to GSAK. I read another article recently that someone was able to get it to work, but I tried that tonight too, and found no joy.

Thanks for your patience.

I'm having trouble with the installation on 11.04. Download, OK. Unpack tarball, OK. Install, is where the problems start. ./configure seems to work ok, but make install doesn't do anything. I get "make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop."

The extra libraries above were helpful, as they are no longer in the main build for 11.04. However, libwebkit1.0-cil, has also been updated and is no longer available.

Sorry if I'm being a nube, but I'd really like to make linux my main platform, and am trying to find an alternative to GSAK. I read another article recently that someone was able to get it to work, but I tried that tonight too, and found no joy.

Thanks for your patience.

Do you mind posting your question here: http://ocm.dafb-o.de/index.php? I don't follow the GC forums as much. I haven't attempted 11.04 with OCM yet (I usually wait until all the kinks in an Ubuntu release are worked out before upgrading), but I know some people have gotten it working.