Where to buy a GPS

Ok, I know that I should read through all of the millions of which-one-to-buy messages, however I'm a hands on kind of gal. What store has the best selection that I can actually look at in the 'flesh'? Does Best Buy carry them? Radio Shack? WalMart?

Where did you buy yours? And how did you decide which one to buy. THe one we have will not hold a charge so I'm in need of an upgrade.

THANKS for the help everyone!

Marylee (a newbie)

Where do you live?

All the stores you mentioned are a good start, AND if any sporting goods stores around check them out too!

I'm in Ohio - we have a few sporting goods stores around here. Don't know why I didn't think of that! LOL DUH! :D

THANKS! (where did you get yours'?)

But wait,.......there's more.

The ability to support aerial photo imagery is becoming more significant nowadays.

Will the store's demo models have such imagery loaded on them?

Additionally, there have been many comments about screen visibility outdoors in the sunlight.

Will Walmart allow you to take the demo model outside? Will the clerk unfasten the anti-theft chain?

Nevertheless, it is a good place to start.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
Does Best Buy carry them? Radio Shack? WalMart?

You can try these stores if you wish, but it has been my experience that their employees are little more than "street hires" and know little of the merchandise they are selling. Their "departments" regarding electronics are steered at selling tons of TV's, cellphones, video games, etc. not hardly the occasional GPSr. Indeed, some of those stores only have in stock in-car navigators, no hand-helds at all. Ask for one and you'll get a funny look from the clerk! Usually because the clerk doesn't know such a thing even exists.

For hands-on, good shopping experiences (regarding GPSr units), don't bother with these.

Although it may show -- I won't give you my opinion of those places. :D

No, you need to visit a dedicated "outdoor activity"-type store. If you have an REI nearby, or perhaps a Cabela's, they would be good. Bass Pro and/or Gander Mountain -- I dunno for sure.

Occasionally you can find exceptional hiking/kayaking/cycling related shops that carry them.

Good luck. :lol:

EDIT: Cabela's in Dundee, MI isn't toooo far away from you.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Even finding a real "outdoors" store is not a guarantee that you find someone knowledgeable. I've seen posts from people reporting encounters at REI & Bass Pro Shops (for example) with salespeople who had outdated, incorrect or incomplete information about the devices they carried, or didn't know anything at all.

Granted, your chances of finding a knowledgeable person at those stores are better than at Wal-Mart, but IMHO your best bet is to do your own research at home first and get familiar with the units on paper, then go out to a store & handle them.

Then make the purchase wherever you find the best price, or lowest shipping, or no sales tax, or wherever you usually get your gadgets from.

Yes and sometimes you will also find some sales people have a heavy bias towards "their favorite brand" :D or perhaps a brand their store manager is encouraged to push.. I've seen this a lot, and they'll blindly push one brand while literally bad mouthing another.. The problem is, if you're not knowledgeable about the various brands then then you may not actually know if they are being truthful to you.

I bought my PN-40 at walmart.com. It's like anything the chances of finding someone in a store with the knowledge to lead you in the right direction are very slim. The best way is to get on forums and read up as much as possible on what you want to buy on the internet. Check all or as many reviews as you can. I started with the worst reviews and worked my way up. I got the PN-40 at walmart because of one: the price at the time at walmart was 231$ and two: the fact that they have a 60 day return policy and you can return it to any store. I also read customer reviews on amazon, walmart and other online retailers. Generally you can get a real feel for the system and store with these reviews if you weed out the over the top ones and the lowest end ones and go to the 3-4 star ones.

Edited by Team_Searchgeo

If you live near a big city or hunt down an especially large and well-stocked sporting goods store, you might be able to try out a gps. However, I've never seen anything other than dashboard units or the occasional eTrex, which was my first unit. You might go to a geomeet and ask other cachers to let you look at their units - after seeing others use the Garmin 60csx in the field I bought one at Amazon the next day.

Go look at them whereever you can but then go online to find the best price and buy. Amazon quite often has some very decent pricing.

Does this look like a good deal? Do you suppose it will have enough for my daughter and I to do what we want to do? We're not going to be going on any major hikes as she's in a wheelchair and walker depending on her daily mood. http://tinyurl.com/23m4ate .

I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone regarding this one! It seems pretty decent as price goes.

Any current hand-held unit with get the job done. It's really a trade-off with what you want and can afford.

The eTrex H, does not have a color screen (most current models of everything does), it will not upload from the computer w/o an additional cable -- so you will have to hand-enter the coordinates individually, does not have maps at all (I don't believe, anyway).

It is a basic no-frills unit. It is still a good unit and will get the job done. But it is lacking in the bells & whistles department (which everyone seems to must have today).

I started with a unit that is older yet than the eTrex H. Still have it, but it is relegated to a back-up unit only. It got me to/from just about 200 caches! Then, like most of the others, I felt I had to go paperless. :D

Ok, I know that I should read through all of the millions of which-one-to-buy messages, however I'm a hands on kind of gal. What store has the best selection that I can actually look at in the 'flesh'? Does Best Buy carry them? Radio Shack? WalMart?

Where did you buy yours? And how did you decide which one to buy. THe one we have will not hold a charge so I'm in need of an upgrade.

THANKS for the help everyone!

Marylee (a newbie)

Anybody ever order from The GPS Store?

http://www.thegpsstore.com/