Cache Maintenance ahead of GW8

mc3cats

Howdy gang!

We are getting ever closer to the mega event that is GW8. We are about 1 month out from that MEGA event. Cache owners with caches in the HVA (High Visitation Areas) will want to get out to your caches by end of June to get your caches spruced up for the big event. The HVA consists of the following areas:

CARNATION, DUVAL, FALL CITY, NORTH BEND AREAS.

ALONG I-90, I-5 AND I-82

DENNY CREEK-SNOQUAMIE PASS - ANNETTE LAKE TRAILHEAD - Iron Horse Trail

Caches in these areas will be hit pretty hard with GW8 visitors. I went out and replaced my only cache in the Denny Creak area (Pratt Lake Trail Cache) from a scooba to an ammo can with a fresh log. Just by doing that, I am seeing more visitors to that cache and expect a bunch more come early July.

If you have a cache in any of these areas, please get out to your caches and replace the logs and give them a good look over to see how they are doing. If they are not water tight, consider replacing the container/O rings or archive if need be.

Also, while out caching, if you see a cache that needs some TLC, dont be afraid to do a "Needs Maintenance" log. I have done this. Let the CO know what the problem is so they can get out there and fix the cache.

Thanks folks and lets put our best cache forward for the rest of the cachers to see!

A big shout-out to mc3cats for stepping up as WSGA's Cache Maintenance Manager, helping us get everything ship-shape before GeoWoodstock. :(

As he points out, specific focus is on the Puget Sound area, since GW is here, but this is a statewide effort, as cachers will be criss-crossing the region. Oregon, Idaho, and BC, feel free to join us!

We're asking all cache owners to maintain their caches by June 20, which is when some folks will start arriving. Thanks for your help - our visitors will appreciate it!

• Replace the log with a fresh, roomy one. Some caches could see 500+ visitors! (If you own a micro near the GW venue, you should expect to replace the log several times.)
  • Repair or replace any damaged containers, and make sure the swag is in good shape.
  • If possible, CITO the area around the cache.
  • Disable any caches that can't withstand heavy visitation.
  • Post an Owner Maintenance log on the cache page so folks will know it's been recently checked. Add details as necessary: "Maintenance check for GW8; replaced log." This helps visitors know which caches are verified to be in good condition.
  • Archive (and retrieve) caches that are in bad shape. If it's not your cache, post a Needs Maintenance or Needs Archived log (depending on the situation) so that the cache owner, as well as the reviewer and potential visitors, are notified the cache needs help. (Also, check out WSGA's new Cache Rescue Program.)

I was impressed with how well-maintained caches were in Tennessee last year during GW7 (nearly half had Maintenance notes within three weeks of the event), and I hope we can show our visitors the same welcome.

I was impressed with how well-maintained caches were in Tennessee last year during GW7 (nearly half had Maintenance notes within three weeks of the event), and I hope we can show our visitors the same welcome.

One of the things we heard most at GW7 was about how well maintained all of the local caches were. This event is a way for us to show the world what I've known for a long time, that the Pacific Northwest is the best place to be a geocacher.

If you have anything that may prevent you from getting out to your caches in the next month please don't hesitate to ask for help. I'm sure that there are other cachers in your area who would be happy to step up and help. If you simply do not want your cache to be visited by the GW8 visitors please disable it and post a clear note on the cache page indicating the dates it will not be available. If possible remove the container for that period of time. **Do not archive your cache as you will not be able to unarchive without the help from a reviewer**

Unfortunately, I'm the first (in this thread that I know of) to need some help.

Cache ID - GCN7J6

Cache URL - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b9cc0&log=y

The cache has been out 5 years with only 60+ online logs, The log will probably survive, but I'd like to replace it to be sure...the only issue is the sciatica I'm struggling with prevents me from getting to that location at this time.

Email me or reply here if you can help me.

Cache ID - GCN7J6

The cache has been out 5 years with only 60+ online logs, The log will probably survive, but I'd like to replace it to be sure...the only issue is the sciatica I'm struggling with prevents me from getting to that location at this time.

Allanon - I can help you with that one, and I'll check on others there as well. If you have specific requests or a log you want put in, let me know.

WeightMan - GS's policy is to list only one event as the Mega when there is a cluster of related events. So GW will be the only event with that designation, regardless of attendees. The Meet 'n Greet and Lost & Found events will likely have 500+ attendees, but they will not get a Mega icon (the GS event will actually get a new icon, so we hear). This would mirror what happened last year with the Meet 'n Greet, etc., at GW7.

Cache ID - GCN7J6

Allanon - I can help you with that one, and I'll check on others there as well. If you have specific requests or a log you want put in, let me know.

WeightMan - GS's policy is to list only one event as the Mega when there is a cluster of related events. So GW will be the only event with that designation, regardless of attendees. The Meet 'n Greet and Lost & Found events will likely have 500+ attendees, but they will not get a Mega icon (the GS event will actually get a new icon, so we hear). This would mirror what happened last year with the Meet 'n Greet, etc., at GW7.

Either way, the caches in that area will get a large number of hits that weekend.

Now that we finally have nice weather in the Pacific Northwest (at least for a day or two), it's a good idea to make plans and go maintainence your caches! There will be close to 4000 geocachers from all over world descending upon the Seattle area (and beyond) so getting new log sheets, disabled caches and neglected caches up and running is a great idea! The area should be known for great caching, not DNFs!

Even if your cache is 100 miles from Carnation, WA --- there will be many cachers who are driving across country to get there! :angry:

Cache owners in the Evergreen State, now is the time to get out there and check on your caches. The GW8 Event in Carnation is just over 2 weeks from today. If you have caches along all the major freeways in Washington State, or in Carnation, Duvall, Fall City and North Bend areas, as well as in the Snoqualmie Pass/Denny Creek area, should get out to your caches in these areas and replace cache logs with a new log and replace/repair any broken, cracked or leaking caches. The GW8 attendees will be visiting our area soon. Lets get ready for them by sprucing up our caches! Thank you

Edited by Team Misguided