the gpsstore.com

I am new to geocaching and need to purchase a GPS device. I'm thinking of buying the Garmin 60CSX. The gpsstore.com has a Garmin 60CX listed for $219 which is the lowest price I've found for this device. Two questions: Do you think this price is too good to be true? (like maybe it's used, not new?) Also, is the 60CX the same as the 60CSX?

here's their link: http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-6...d-GPS-P876.aspx

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by momma mia I

I am new to geocaching and need to purchase a GPS device. I'm thinking of buying the Garmin 60CSX. The gpsstore.com has a Garmin 60CX listed for $219 which is the lowest price I've found for this device. Two questions: Do you think this price is too good to be true? (like maybe it's used, not new?) Also, is the 60CX the same as the 60CSX?

here's their link: http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-6...d-GPS-P876.aspx

Thanks in advance for your help!

The 60CX and 60 CSX are NOT the same units. The 60CX is a discontinued model and uses an older and less sensitive receiver.

The 60CX and 60 CSX are NOT the same units. The 60CX is a discontinued model and uses an older and less sensitive receiver.

The 60CX and 60CSX BOTH HAVE HIGH SENSITIVITY . The 60CSX has an electronic compass and barometer.I think this poster must be thinking of the less sensitive receicer 60CS NOT 60CX.

Jerry

While this may be a little off-topic, I would suggest (to anyone) not to "cheap-out" when going shopping for a GPSr. Yes, there may well be budget restrictions... but I advise to get the best you can afford. If not and you stay with the game, you will be looking to upgrade sooner rather than later anyway!

The Garmin 60 series is being replaced by the 62 series, which will be paperless. Many very good paperless GPSr units already exist, within and without the Garmin name. Some are even priced less already than your choice price posted.

The 60CSx is a good workhorse, no doubt about it... but before too long, it will fit into the 'dinosaur' category.

The 60CX and 60CSX BOTH HAVE HIGH SENSITIVITY . The 60CSX has an electronic compass and barometer.I think this poster must be thinking of the less sensitive receicer 60CS NOT 60CX.

Jerry

I agree. Both of the "x" units have the high sensitivity chipset. The "S" model adds an altimeter and electronic compass.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

The 60CX is a discontinued model and uses an older and less sensitive receiver.

It's not discontinued, and it uses the same chipset as the CSx. The only difference is that the Cx doesn't have an electronic compass or altimeter.

(Yes I know this info was posted before, but with malformed quotes in both cases. Use that Preview button, people.)

I imagine retailers are anticipating fewer people buying the 60C(S)x, once the new units come out. They don't want to be stuck with extra inventory they're might have difficulty selling in the future.

Edited by Prime Suspect