What do I believe?

TeamTJ

For this benchmark one description says

quote:
set into the top of a round concrete monument
and another says
quote:
THE UNDERGROUND DISK IS SET IN AN IRREGULAR MASS OF CONCRETE 36 INCHES BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND.
yet another says
quote:
THE SURFACE DISK IS SET IN THE TOP OF A SQUARE CONCRETE POST WHICH IS FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND.

I'm confused!! Is it at the top of the memorial tower, on the ground surface, or below the ground?

I tried to get it by looking at the given measurements from the pumping station & fences, but it's WAY off from the tower and there is really nothing on the ground at that spot.

HELP!

Morgan

TeamTJ

Based on the description, I would look for a mark at ground level.

Sometimes a ground level mark gets covered up by dirt and vegetation. I would expect that your GPSr (if you use one) might get you close since the coordinates are adjusted from a geodetic survey.

In my limited benchmark searching, I have also found that not all landmarks listed in older descriptions have survived down to the present time.

More experienced searchers will have other & better suggestions.

Good luck & keep having fun!

Thats right, it is or was a typical ground marker. The original was probably in a round concrete base and the reset in a square base. The underground mark is irrelevant since you would not see it anyway. Its an example of the fairly rare occurence of a marker being reset in precisely the same position after construction. The note says that visibility from the spot was no longer very good, so its possible that it may have been deemed not useful enough to reset again, and was probably replaced by an undocumented point somewhere else in the vicinity at a better spot. If you are saying that there is now a tower on the spot and the pump house, transformers and fences are all gone, this is likely to be what happened.

Hmmmm...

There is a large tower (50-100 feet tall, 30-40 feet diameter) and the pumphouse is there still, too.

I looked for a ground marker, but saw none.

For the uneducated (me) how do I know that it would be a ground marker, and not the other 2 choices?

Thanks!

TeamTJ

quote:
JE1942''FOLLOWING IS A DESCRIPTION FOR THE STATION MARK.

JE1942''

JE1942''STATION MARKS ARE STANDARD DISKS STAMPED HOLMES 1934 1968. THE

JE1942''SURFACE DISK IS SET IN THE TOP OF A SQUARE CONCRETE POST WHICH IS

JE1942''FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE OF THE GROUND. IT IS 45.5 FEET EAST OF THE

JE1942''EAST EDGE OF A MANHOLE COVER, 34.5 FEET WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE

JE1942''NORTHWEST CORNER OF THE PUMPING STATION, 32.5 FEET SOUTHEAST OF

JE1942''THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF A CYCLONE FENCE AROUND VOLTAGE

JE1942''TRANSFORMERS, 29.5 FEET WEST-NORTHWEST OF THE SOUTHWEST CORNER

JE1942''OF THE PUMPING STATION, AND 15 FEET NORTHEAST OF A FENCE AROUND

JE1942''THE PUMPING STATION. THE UNDERGROUND DISK IS SET IN AN

JE1942''IRREGULAR MASS OF CONCRETE 36 INCHES BELOW THE SURFACE OF THE

JE1942''GROUND.

Use the newest description.

It says its a concrete post flush with the ground surface. There underground mark is 3 feet deep.

Its just a typo from what I surmise

I have seen this many times where the post is said to be round and it actually square in the field and vice-versa.

fyi

When the combined all this data into a database, they had to type serveal 100,000 points into the system. They did not start the DB in the 1700's but comiled this info in the 80's and 90's into the DB there is today. All this data has to be hand keyed in and mistakes are common. So don't be alarmed if something is not exactly as described. They did a pretty good job considering all the information that is in the DB's.