Hide to Find Ratio

What's your hide to find ratio?

Depends on what you mean. I have not created/placed/published any caches yet. I look after a few for absentee CO's. Have investigated more than a few 'missing' caches and recovered a few of those. All good experience.

As for another POV... I for one (re)hide every cache I find, the way I found it. Unless it was exposed badly, in which case I hide it protected and ask the owner what they wanted/tell them what I did.

You might say from that POV that I'm 1:1. That does not include the number of times I've had to reset the ones I've looked after though...

Doug 7rxc

Depends on what you mean. I have not created/placed/published any caches yet. I look after a few for absentee CO's. Have investigated more than a few 'missing' caches and recovered a few of those. All good experience.

As for another POV... I for one (re)hide every cache I find, the way I found it. Unless it was exposed badly, in which case I hide it protected and ask the owner what they wanted/tell them what I did.

You might say from that POV that I'm 1:1. That does not include the number of times I've had to reset the ones I've looked after though...

Doug 7rxc

To keep it simple, Geocaches Owned (specify active and total if you want) and Geocaches Found as on your profile page. Maybe I should have said placed or owned rather than hidden.

We've found 24 caches and haven't hidden a single one. We're currently planning one out, but it's taking lot's of time because we don't want it to become just another ammo can in a bush.

An ammo can in a bush is way better than a lot of geocaches out there. I'm always happy to find an ammo can.

686 to 2. Two! Two, dammit! I have two! (I adopted out my two, and now my stats say zero, which is even more embarrassing).

I really hate hiding.

Almost exactly the same for me. 675 finds, 2 hides.

I am thinking of some additional hides. Sometimes I feel guilty for not having more hides; other times I think there are lots of people who really love hiding, so am I really bad for not doing a lot myself?

440 to 1 - other than those with no hides, I think this is the highest so far. I'm working on a few hides to hopefully that ratio will improve before it hits 500 to 1. I don't want to just toss out a few micros out there for the sake of numbers, and I think a few of you appreciate that.

We've found 24 caches and haven't hidden a single one. We're currently planning one out, but it's taking lot's of time because we don't want it to become just another ammo can in a bush.

try these http://www.flickr.com/photos/49251222@N07/

the evergreen is very effective. Had a cacher look for over a half hour for this one and came out with a DNF had another with 4 people took them over 20 min. to find

Doug 7rxc

To keep it simple, Geocaches Owned (specify active and total if you want) and Geocaches Found as on your profile page. Maybe I should have said placed or owned rather than hidden.

OK... I tried to answer that first time... since I hadn't placed any. I was in the process of logging a bunch of finds and didn't really know that number... for what it matters... 55 finds (all types and sizes): 0 owned... but I'm working on some... there are a few technical difficulties... ie. they keep cutting down local forests as fast as one finds a good spot in the trees... fire fuel elimination. It is not everywhere but until they finish it's a pain.

Doug 7rxc

686 to 2. Two! Two, dammit! I have two! (I adopted out my two, and now my stats say zero, which is even more embarrassing).

I really hate hiding.

Almost exactly the same for me. 675 finds, 2 hides.

I am thinking of some additional hides. Sometimes I feel guilty for not having more hides; other times I think there are lots of people who really love hiding, so am I really bad for not doing a lot myself?

yes.

As of right now I am at 19 to 0. I have one cache in the works thats a multi/puzzle. Its just making sure everything is correct, and will be good before I place all of it. Who knows I might just put the waypoints as part of the single cahe page, and just add the puzzles for the last one. just gotta figure it all out.

better than a 35mm film cannister stuck to bottom of dumpster behind 7-11.

did i say that? :blink:

770 / 71

about ten to one.

I was hiding one a week for a while but now i'm focusing on puzzles and quality hides instead of paying the same hounds $5 every week so i've slowed down on hiding. don't get me wrong, the ftf rewards are better now in my caches but more effort is required.

for what its worth, i've never hidden a LPC but i do have one GRC. :blink:

did i say that? :)

Oh no! I thought you couldn't actually stick them *to* the dumpster... but I admit I've never had the gumption to try it either. I'd rather hide caches in pretty places :lol:

And I agree with you power69, an ammo can in a bush no matter where, beats an icky film can on a dumpster any ol' day. But some people like that sort of thing I suppose.

did i say that? :)

Oh no! I thought you couldn't actually stick them *to* the dumpster.

Actually you can here. next time you're in phoenix, find a convenience store dumpster, run your finger on the bottom and tell me a film cannister won't stick. haha.

Don't worry too much about the ratio. There are plenty of caches out there to find. Worry more about quality than the quantity.

Thats what I have in my mind all the time when im out geocaching. Sometimes i find none, but that doesnt really bother me, thats no hurry in this game if you ask me :)

At the moment I have 40 finds and 0 hidden.