worst hides?

I find that every cache is unique and fun no matter how easy or difficult its hidden. It even makes me think when there too easy how they can survive from not being muggled, those are just cute and good for wheel chair and kids. If you don't like the easy ones then use the difficulty filters that is provided with the membership, i only been a member for 2 days now lol.

But the only caches i don't like and i mean i will give up on them really really early like 5 min searching max and if i don't see them right away are the ones that are placed too close to a pile of garbage. Like i went down some ally between 2 houses in a nice neighborhood and the cache was supposed to be hidden in a corner of some fence, but this very spot was a heavy dumping ground for random pieces of garbage i gave up and said forget that. I draw the line at garbage. I don't care how easy the item is but if it's too close to some garbage where kids will likely search through then i would want that cache disabled.

I would rather climb a mountain or dive under water to get them but i am not gonna shift through garbage to find a cache and i will even request a cache be to be disabled or moved if there in garbage or 5 meters from a steaming pile of garbage. There more commonly found in the cities i find and rarely in the parks and forest areas. so i have only come across about 2 or 3 so far and i have only found about 19 too.

And for the love of god do not camo the item to look like garbage and place it along with garbage because that's just plain horrible.

I find that every cache is unique and fun no matter how easy or difficult its hidden. It even makes me think when there too easy how they can survive from not being muggled, those are just cute and good for wheel chair and kids. If you don't like the easy ones then use the difficulty filters that is provided with the membership, i only been a member for 2 days now lol.

But the only caches i don't like and i mean i will give up on them really really early like 5 min searching max and if i don't see them right away are the ones that are placed too close to a pile of garbage. Like i went down some ally between 2 houses in a nice neighborhood and the cache was supposed to be hidden in a corner of some fence, but this very spot was a heavy dumping ground for random pieces of garbage i gave up and said forget that. I draw the line at garbage. I don't care how easy the item is but if it's too close to some garbage where kids will likely search through then i would want that cache disabled.

I would rather climb a mountain or dive under water to get them but i am not gonna shift through garbage to find a cache and i will even request a cache be to be disabled or moved if there in garbage or 5 meters from a steaming pile of garbage. There more commonly found in the cities i find and rarely in the parks and forest areas. so i have only come across about 2 or 3 so far and i have only found about 19 too.

And for the love of god do not camo the item to look like garbage and place it along with garbage because that's just plain horrible.

Ever heard of "CITO" ?

So, how do you feel about garbage?

I know what you mean though. When I was approaching 1000 finds I tried to grab 5-6 local caches to set up for a Golden Ammo Can tribute cache a local that was placed by a local cacher for my 1000th find. I think #998 was a cache that was located near a chinese restaurant no more than 10 feet from a couple of garbage bins. As I was signing the log and taking in the aroma I thought, "that's it, after I hit 1000 I'm not going find another cache just to add to my numbers". That was in April 2010 and I've averaged about 4.5 finds per month since then.

I do not appreciate any cache conneced to a garbage can or dumpster, such as a hide-a-key under the bottom of a garbage receptacle at a park.

Those, as someone mentioned, placed where homeless or drug-users frequent are pretty bad. I once found one about 5 feet from their public "toilet". Yuck!!!!!!!!!

I have to admit having a rather non-PC thought that runs through my mind when I find a really lame cache--a HKF, ie, a Helen Keller Find. I think you can figure out what that means.

I have found a couple of caches that could not be seen and required one to feel around. One of them was a nano stuck on an old steam train. I wouldn't call it a bad hide, but it was a really difficult hide.

If you have to resort to making your cache a needle in a haystack, it's a bad hide. With the proper clues it can be saved, but most caches like this don't.

I know what you mean though. When I was approaching 1000 finds I tried to grab 5-6 local caches to set up for a Golden Ammo Can tribute cache a local that was placed by a local cacher for my 1000th find. I think #998 was a cache that was located near a chinese restaurant no more than 10 feet from a couple of garbage bins. As I was signing the log and taking in the aroma I thought, "that's it, after I hit 1000 I'm not going find another cache just to add to my numbers". That was in April 2010 and I've averaged about 4.5 finds per month since then.

Garbage sucks but that just means that if you place one near garbage I'm just gonna pass on it early. CITO is great and all but it is still nice if the cache is located in a respectable place.

Garbage sucks but that just means that if you place one near garbage I'm just gonna pass on it early. CITO is great and all but it is still nice if the cache is located in a respectable place.

Got a knee jerk "ever hear of CITO?" response, did ya? :lol: Inexcuseable to place a cache in a garbage-strewn area in my opinion, and the next cache I see or hear of where the owner purposely placed it amongst, or even hidden under garbage to clean up the area will be the first. If you find yourself in such an area looking for a cache, just leave and move on to the next one.

I have to admit having a rather non-PC thought that runs through my mind when I find a really lame cache--a HKF, ie, a Helen Keller Find. I think you can figure out what that means.

I have found a couple of caches that could not be seen and required one to feel around. One of them was a nano stuck on an old steam train. I wouldn't call it a bad hide, but it was a really difficult hide.

If you have to resort to making your cache a needle in a haystack, it's a bad hide. With the proper clues it can be saved, but most caches like this don't.

In this case, with the clues and a little research about steam trains it narrows down the search area to a about a 5 foot by 5 foot area and a specified distance off the ground. Of course, I found it before a couple of those clues were added.

Ever heard of "CITO" ?

That's more then just a cito. That is the cache hider not having an respect for his/her fellow cacher. I never understood WHY hiders do this to others. I pick up trash all the time while caching on trails. I'm not out to clean up someone elses neighborhood because some lame arse CO thought it would be funny to put his cache in trash. Tells you A LOT about a cache owner when they do stuff like this.

Edited by the4dirtydogs

Ever heard of "CITO" ?

I've been doing "CITO" since I was a kid, and that predates geocaching by about 40 years... I'm forever picking up bits of trash at parks, on the street, in the woods, what-have-you. I've also participated in quite a few organized events (not geocaching-realated) to clean up parks, streambeds, etc from large amounts of accumulated trash. I even have a special side pocket in my backpack so as to carry out my dogs' droppings if they go on the trail, and routinely clean up after less considerate dog owners.

And I'm here to tell you that when it comes to seeking caches, "CITO" does NOT mean "go to a trash/garbage dump behind a shopping mall and singlehandedly clean it up while looking for a film canister", nor does it mean "go to caches prepared to stick your hands into a filthy area and/or risk slicing yourself open on the broken glass that's everywhere".

Placing caches in areas so filthy or trash-strewn that it would take a crew of people and several hours to actually clean them up is just plain obnoxious, in my book.

Edited by cimawr

Worst cache i have found was a lipstick container behind a shopping center. The gutter pipe had a cover on it and there was a plastic water bottle shoved in to the gutter cover with the lipstick container on top the coords were way off and the log was very wet because the container didn't close all the way.

Ever heard of "CITO" ?

I've been doing "CITO" since I was a kid, and that predates geocaching by about 40 years... I'm forever picking up bits of trash at parks, on the street, in the woods, what-have-you. I've also participated in quite a few organized events (not geocaching-realated) to clean up parks, streambeds, etc from large amounts of accumulated trash. I even have a special side pocket in my backpack so as to carry out my dogs' droppings if they go on the trail, and routinely clean up after less considerate dog owners.

And I'm here to tell you that when it comes to seeking caches, "CITO" does NOT mean "go to a trash/garbage dump behind a shopping mall and singlehandedly clean it up while looking for a film canister", nor does it mean "go to caches prepared to stick your hands into a filthy area and/or risk slicing yourself open on the broken glass that's everywhere".

Placing caches in areas so filthy or trash-strewn that it would take a crew of people and several hours to actually clean them up is just plain obnoxious, in my book.

My God, people, lay off, it was a joke.

Though I swear some people are extremely petty when it comes to proclaiming an area as "trash strewn." OMG there's like...a FOUR LOKO can here! OMG! OMG! The humanity!!!!!

The above example was a crafty hide next to a golf course. Awesome area strewn with many a golf ball and apparently some remnants of last night's bender...4 Loko cans and cigarette papers. Hum, gee, wonder what was going on here? B)

One of my other favorite caches brought me next to a set of abandoned homes that are basically condemned, piled floor to ceiling with stuff of the past. I spent about an hour exploring them. Trashy, yes. Fascinating...absolutely! Just because it ain't a pretty view or a mountainside doesn't mean that it's not an interesting place.

Why would anyone find it fun to put a cache on the walkway up to the door of a busy restaurant?

Do people like that actually enjoy finding caches like that?

You probably wouldn't have liked the one I went after recently....a Walmart parking lot cache. THe description (and logs) noted the challenge and fun was to avoid muggles by being stealthy....to me it was fun.

Why would anyone find it fun to put a cache on the walkway up to the door of a busy restaurant?

Do people like that actually enjoy finding caches like that?

You probably wouldn't have liked the one I went after recently....a Walmart parking lot cache. THe description (and logs) noted the challenge and fun was to avoid muggles by being stealthy....to me it was fun.

Micro right by the front of a beer distributor (I'm in PA, no beer at the grocer).

TFTC&B. Thanks for the cache and brewskis :laughing:

Yikes! I've heard of caches disguised to look like dog poop, but this seems far worse, for some reason. I'm actually not sure WHY it seems worse... but to me, it just does...

Yikes! I've heard of caches disguised to look like dog poop, but this seems far worse, for some reason. I'm actually not sure WHY it seems worse... but to me, it just does...

Aesthetics and geocaching experience aside, it just seems to have a good chance of getting picked up and thrown away by a well meaning individual.

Do you refer to it as a Helen Keller Find because it is really lame? That is quite offensive.

No, it means you find it by touch, not sight.

I am leery of the types of hides I run across around here that require you to reach into something blind. With all the venomous snakes, poisonous spiders, and painful stinging critters around here, that's just not a good idea.

That said, most of those types I've found are perfectly retrievable with a tool of some sort, so I don't really consider them "bad" if they mention using a tool to retrieve the cache container.

I dislike needle-in-a-haystack types where the CO has used that method instead of finding some clever camo. However, some caches that some people consider NIH type hides involve some pretty clever camo and some clue on the cache page that provides a hint about that camo which then makes the cache obvious to searchers are pretty cool. NIH type hides are okay for me if the container is larger.

I have found a duct tape-wrapped baggie hidden high up in a tree. While the act of hiding it out of reach in the tree is something I don't mind, the duct tape-wrapped baggie was one of the worst caches I've actually found.

I've run into MANY bad hide locations, though. My area is very droughty, but can get very heavy rain on a seasonal basis. So if a cache is hidden summer or fall when the water is down, the CO usually doesn't pay attention to evidence of local flooding...and the cache washes away the next spring. I have found VERY few where the CO physically tethered the cache to something fixed to prevent it from washing away. Also, caches placed in fire-prone areas. A local experimental unit of the National Forest system is a popular cache-hiding spot, and the place is subject to a higher-than-usual frequency of controlled burning. A LOT of cache owners forget or ignore this and they place plastic containers that get burned up and vanish in the next fire (and the listing remains for YEARS because nobody will post NM or NA). If they place an ammo can, the can itself will at least survive the fire and a little maintenance will set things straight.

Ever heard of "CITO" ?

Though I swear some people are extremely petty when it comes to proclaiming an area as "trash strewn." OMG there's like...a FOUR LOKO can here! OMG! OMG! The humanity!!!!!

The above example was a crafty hide next to a golf course. Awesome area strewn with many a golf ball and apparently some remnants of last night's bender...4 Loko cans and cigarette papers. Hum, gee, wonder what was going on here? B)

One of my other favorite caches brought me next to a set of abandoned homes that are basically condemned, piled floor to ceiling with stuff of the past. I spent about an hour exploring them. Trashy, yes. Fascinating...absolutely! Just because it ain't a pretty view or a mountainside doesn't mean that it's not an interesting place.

OK, I for one will apologize. :) I had no way of knowing you were joking.

But I have in fact seen several instances of people complaining about caches in horrifically garbage strewn areas (not me, of course, just observations) and it's almost always met with the "did you CITO?" retort. I find this especially ridiculous of a response in the case of cimawr's last paragraph, which was. "Placing caches in areas so filthy or trash-strewn that it would take a crew of people and several hours to actually clean them up"

Any cache that is hidden IN a living object is a poor hide.

Bushes grow!!!

Before I saw that second line, my imagination ran wild for a while, and I suddenly lost my appetite... :ph34r:

+2 I started to call my dogs in and check them for micros!

Aesthetics and geocaching experience aside, it just seems to have a good chance of getting picked up and thrown away by a well meaning individual.

Oh believe me, you can buy caches disguised as common garbage on Ebay. And also, when this subject has had it's own thread a few times, there are in fact defenders of such caches around here in these parts.

Now that I mention it, I did find a cache disguised as a discarded Tim Horton's coffee cup once. It was home-made, and was actually pretty good. But it was in a rather garbage free area, and I'm not quite ready to become one of these defenders. :lol:

Rest stop along I-70 in Western Kansas. Ammo Box under a bush. It contained several chunks of poo that at least were frozen (this was January). And someone had taken the time to write POOP! on every page of the "log" book.

Cheyenne, Wyo. Virtual cache that was a memorial plaque where you had to read the plaque in order to log the cache. Dead rabbit torn up and strewn about the memorial plaque, its various guts and bits of fur obscuring the info you had to read.

Hrm, well... there really wasn't any way to tell you meant it as a joke, and as someone else mentioned, it's pretty infuriating to get snarky "Ever hear of CITO?" in response to legitimate complaints or comments about nasty hiding locations. There's a huge difference between the type of trash you're talking about, and the type of locations most of us were referring to.

My worst experience of the sort:

I'd been to a dog agility trial about 60 miles away, and was doing a cache run along the way home. Now, I nearly always have my dogs with me when caching *anyway*, and since I was on a trip with them, had deliberately chosen only caches that were dog appropriate... IOW, ones that had the "dogs allowed" attribute. About midway, I stopped to look for a cache that had been placed fairly recently. Parked a block or so away, and walked to the cache area with my dogs... only to find as we started to go into the little patch of woods that it was directly behind a mall dumpster, and the ground and bushes in the entire area (not just the immediate vicinity of the dumpster) were saturated with all sorts of trash, including huge amounts of broken glass... a mixture of smashed bottles and shattered fluorescent tubes that had clearly accumulated over a long period of time (a lot of it was partially buried).

It was crystal clear that the mall workers were in the habit of tossing bags of trash into the woods if the dumpster was full, that *someone* made a habit of smashing bottles and fluorescent bulbs on the ground back there for fun, and that this was a condition that pre-existed the cache's placement. (Have you ever seen what happens when a fluorescent is broken? If not... they literally explode, and small bits of glass go EVERYWHERE.)

At any rate, I left without further search because it was way too risky to take my dogs anywhere close to GZ, and I'll be honest - I was pretty irritated. When I got home, I posted a note stating that I'd had to abort my search and why, and suggested that the owner should remove the "dog friendly" attribute since the ground was literally saturated with glass shards, and dogs don't wear shoes. I did it publicly to prevent anyone else from putting their dogs at risk... I'm far from the only person who routinely caches with canine companions.

The CO's response was to post a public nastygram castigating me for not doing "CITO" :o . Even the smallest bit of "CITO" there would have required protective gloves due to the glass shards, as well as a metal trash can to collect the glass in; to actually get it clean would have required hours of work by several people.... not to mention that the only way it would have *stayed* clean was if the dumpster were moved. Which is exactly what I told the CO in response, along with suggesting that if he felt the area needed CITO, perhaps he should mention it in the cache listing, or organize a CITO event.

What really irked me about the whole thing is that I didn't even post a NM... just a note regarding the fact that the cache area wasn't safe for dogs.

But I have in fact seen several instances of people complaining about caches in horrifically garbage strewn areas (not me, of course, just observations) and it's almost always met with the "did you CITO?" retort. I find this especially ridiculous of a response in the case of cimawr's last paragraph, which was. "Placing caches in areas so filthy or trash-strewn that it would take a crew of people and several hours to actually clean them up"

In fairness to nittanycopa, s/he didn't post that in response to my comment.

In fairness to nittanycopa, s/he didn't post that in response to my comment.

I need to remember to use the /sarcasm tag in the future. Because yeah, my post could have easily been read as being snarky and underhanded.

But I do hear where you're coming from. There are a couple local caches that should have never been placed due to high trash accumulation. One behind a cemetery. Not only were there old grave decorations, but a host of dead animals, wrappers, bottles, etc. There's trash dumps, then there's the "party spots." Unfortunately some really interesting relics and ruins around here also become party hangouts, so it's really at the discretion of the CO to place caches nearby. Some aren't too bad - some, I'd be a little concerned for criminal activity more than the trash/debris aspect.

Usually if a CO puts in "keep it clean, perform CITO" I'd expect the area to be a nicer area that effort should be made to keep that way. If someone is going to place a cache in a not so nice area, it's decent to post a warning about that, up the terrain, choose a no children/pets friendly attribute - something to warn finders that there are [sharp] dangers present at the GZ.

Actually the type of hide that irritates me more than a trash dump is someone placing a cache in thorn bush. Yeah, haha, OUCH, not funny!

Do you refer to it as a Helen Keller Find because it is really lame? That is quite offensive.

That's quite a stretch to come up with that interpretation, as Helen Keller was not by any means lame or disabled in that way. What I basically mean is you could find it with your eyes closed. And I did say it is non-PC.

Edited by GrateBear

i realy do not think their is any bad caches . people take their time to hide them so you can have fun looking . So many people need to remeber this is all for fun . To the people that posted cache number just think how you may feel if it was your cache someone is talking about

i realy do not think their is any bad caches . people take their time to hide them so you can have fun looking . So many people need to remeber this is all for fun . To the people that posted cache number just think how you may feel if it was your cache someone is talking about

Fair enough. But cache owners also have a responsibility to maintain them. Time after time I see logs about wet or muggled contents that apparently are ignored by cache owners (as indicated by the frequency and the dates of the logs).

... cache owners also have a responsibility to maintain them. Time after time I see logs about wet or muggled contents that apparently are ignored by cache owners (as indicated by the frequency and the dates of the logs).

Ah, but how many of those logs are official "Needs Maintenance" notes, and how many are "found" logs? I can't 100% put the blame on the CO if nobody ever posts a NM log.