love letter cache

i want to take some of my old love letters, and some of the ones i find while dumpster diving, and make a cache theme out of them, none of them have last names in them, so theres no real way of knowing who wrote them, but i think it would be fun to find a cache filled with love letters people wrote to each other. im not sure if it has been done before, but i plan on making one, so at least other people can find one like this, and when i perform cache maintnenece, i can read other peoples love letters they dropped off.

what do you think?

i want to take some of my old love letters, and some of the ones i find while dumpster diving, and make a cache theme out of them, none of them have last names in them, so theres no real way of knowing who wrote them, but i think it would be fun to find a cache filled with love letters people wrote to each other. im not sure if it has been done before, but i plan on making one, so at least other people can find one like this, and when i perform cache maintnenece, i can read other peoples love letters they dropped off.

what do you think?

I don't think you want to know what most people think. You just want to stir things up as usual.

I used to have a girlfriend like you...

she needed drama in her life... liked to stir things up... liked to cause trouble when there was none...

I got rid of her.

No one likes a drama queen.

Edited by brslk

what do you think?

I think that this is a really great idea. Too bad that you're so far from me, I have a bunch of old love letters that I'd like to drop in there.

Who knows, perhaps this idea will spread west.

Awesome idea, I really th-- wait, dumpster diving? :)

Um, well ok, I'm not sure about the love letters acquired sifting through the dumpster behind Wally World, but your old love letters sound like a good starting point. you could use a ammo sized cache and place it in a location that has a romantic backdrop to it, and future cachers can come and read the letters, or drop some of their own.

Personally I'd feel better if you printed love letters off the Internet with the author's permission (or where permission is already granted) for a better variety of letter collection.

Im thinking much bigger than an ammo can, and in a romantic spot sure, no problem theres a lake downtown orlando, lake eola, that has giant swan paddleboats built for two, perfect for couples, with a skyscraper backdrop and of course real live swans waddling around its a gorgeous park for such a cache.

course i believe there is a few micros there already, so ill have to figure out how to distance mine form those,

as for the love letters that came out of the garbage, i wouldnt put any in there that were tossed in say the kitchen trash with chicken goo on them or anything, but the majority of the time i find love letters they are in a shoebox with pictures attached, perfectly clean and dry and always interesting.

and printed love letters? bleck, i want people to have to struggle through everyday handwriting. and if this sort of cache is not for you, put it on your ignore list, for those of you who are premium members.

what do you think?

I don't think you want to know what most people think. You just want to stir things up as usual.

she needed drama in her life... liked to stir things up... liked to cause trouble when there was none...

I got rid of her.

And I thought TC was the king of idiots... 'ppears we have a new contender!

DING DING!

You do have the ability to see who started the thread without opening it and ignoring it if it's by a member you've decided is a drama queen. By your responses, it seems you'd rather have drama than discourse.

Personally, I'd feel creepy reading someone else's love letters. Those were written for someone else and anytime I've written a love letter, I'd done so under the premise that it wouldn't be read by anyone other than the person I wrote it to. But, if you like the idea, go for it. The caching community at large will give you feedback on whether they like the idea as well.

I personally would not want to read someone else's love letters, nor would I want anyone to read mine. Love letters to me are special, even those from failed relationships, and they're not something written for the amusement of others in my book.

However, if you really think that people would enjoy finding a cache like this I would say go for it with your own love letters, but I would be leery about using the letters you found in a dumpster, especially if they have pictures attached. I don't think those people would appreciate you putting their love letters in a cache for others to read. They probably didn't expect that someone would climb into a dumpster and pull them out...

what do you think?

I got rid of her.

And I thought TC was the king of idiots... 'ppears we have a new contender!

DING DING!

You do have the ability to see who started the thread without opening it and ignoring it if it's by a member you've decided is a drama queen. By your responses, it seems you'd rather have drama than discourse.

Personally, I'd feel creepy reading someone else's love letters. Those were written for someone else and anytime I've written a love letter, I'd done so under the premise that it wouldn't be read by anyone other than the person I wrote it to. But, if you like the idea, go for it. The caching community at large will give you feedback on whether they like the idea as well.

The same applies to you.

You do have the ability to see who responded and not reply.

I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they will post something worth reading.

I suppose I could not read anything by anyone I have an issue with.

I would offer that you like to respond to me to create more drama.

I doubt that you would get many cachers dropping love letters in the cache, but if there were any, they would be interesting.

There is a shop around here that has old postcards 40-100 years old which are very interesting to read. Quite a few are addressed to the same people. Many are from an estate or so. It's kind of sad to see all of the holiday cards through the years and then realize that the senders, and people that received them, have passed on.

well glad i got the negative comment section out of the way, im gonna place it anyway, ill let my local reviewer decide if its a good idea or not.

If you were planning on placing it anyway and KNEW you were going to get "negative comments" then why even post it here?

See my note above...

I doubt that you would get many cachers dropping love letters in the cache, but if there were any, they would be interesting.

There is a shop around here that has old postcards 40-100 years old which are very interesting to read. Quite a few are addressed to the same people. Many are from an estate or so. It's kind of sad to see all of the holiday cards through the years and then realize that the senders, and people that received them, have passed on.

That is sad... it kinda brings up a little lump in my chest.

These are people that wrote the notes.

Feelings.

I have written a few love notes myself.

I would not like for others to read them while I was alive. I would like it less when I am dead.

That is unless they understood where I was at that point in my life.

I suppose if I wanted my writings to be read by strangers I would have made them public.

Interesting idea. It sounds like you could make it into an interesting multi or puzzle cache. I think it would be interesting to look up some love letters written by authors and up them in a cache, reading the letters might provide clues to how to find the next one.

Encourage cachers who visit to add to the collection.

Edited by Buddhist Fox

Man Ashnikes, what did you do to tick off so many people? I missed it somewhere along the line.

Anyway, I think the cache sounds great. I'd love to find something like that.

I don't see an issue with sharing stuff people put in a dumpster. If you want your privacy protected you burn stuff or shred it...put it in a dumpster and you take your chances.

I love reading old diaries and post cards in antique shops. Don't think I have any old letters to contribute (see the burn and shred method above), but it's still a really interesting idea! :)

That is sad... it kinda brings up a little lump in my chest.

These are people that wrote the notes.

Feelings.

I have written a few love notes myself.

I would not like for others to read them while I was alive. I would like it less when I am dead.

That is unless they understood where I was at that point in my life.

I suppose if I wanted my writings to be read by strangers I would have made them public.

Old postcards are fairly interesting especially if you happen upon a bunch all addressed to the same people. Reading all the Christmas cards through the 1960s sent to the same family, or a bunch from WWI, and realizing that the original address is now all businesses..

I was in a antique shop a few years ago, and found a 1929 high school graduation excercise book for Spring Lake, NJ. Being on the other side of the state, I couldnt imagine how it really could have any value for anyone unless they lived there. It was sad to think that someone had carried it with them all those years, and only to have it end up in a shop somewhere, without any heirs to leave it to, or who wanted it. They had most likely outlived all of their classmates anyway.. I bought it for $3, with the intention to send it back to the original school if it was still there. I found that it was, but it was not a school anymore, but they had a historical society housed upstairs in the building, so I sent it to them. They were happy to have it, and left a nice thank you on my phone. Perhaps one day Ill drive up there to see all the other stuff they have on display.

Not sure. If they were letters that others intended to share that would be fine, but I'm not sure about ones you just found. Seems a bit invasive to me. Maybe a better idea would be to put a few that you have permission to use and ask others to add to it.

It might do best if you suggested people bring a picnic lunch. some wine and an open heart. I'm sure you will have some who won't like and some who will love it. I think you need to make sure all the letters are family friendly. Good luck with it.

I found that it was, but it was not a school anymore, but they had a historical society housed upstairs in the building, so I sent it to them. They were happy to have it, and left a nice thank you on my phone.

I once bought a box of old books that contained 8 Boy Scout diaries from the 1930's. It was interesting to read the "Good Turn Daily" section with entries like "Helped the neighbor with the groceries." or "Brought in the cows." I found an address in one which was an island in Maine. I tracked down two people with the same surname and asked if they wanted them. Absolute indifference. I then tracked down the town historical society, once again, indifference.

Figuring someone would want to see them and having bought a new scanner, I scanned one of the diaries into PDF form. I posted a message on the largest Scouting message board I could find and offered to send anyone the PDF so they could post it somewhere. No interest at all. If anyone here wants a copy of the PDF, just contact me.

Edit: I didn't realize I was dealing with a troll. I edited out my response that had to do with the original post.

Edited by JohnX

I'm gonna place it anyway, I'll let my local reviewer decide if its a good idea or not.

Reviewers don't 'decide if it's a good idea or not'

Reviewers review the cache to see that it complies with the guidelines.

It can be the worst cache ever in the history of caching, but if it complies with the guidelines a reviewer will publish it.

If anyone here wants a copy of the PDF, just contact me.

I wouldn't mind a copy, John. Auntie at auntieweasel.com, thanks. I love that kind of thing.

I have a suitcase full of correspondence between my grandparents in 1924, the year before they got married. It wasn't so much love letters, but it's a fascinating glimpse into ordinary life (including things like grocery receipts).

One day, they and their friends played something very like caching -- where they ran all around the town finding written clues hidden by other friends. Rural Tennessee.

I keep meaning to scan the stuff and put it online.

I really doubt many people would read them. Most people seem to open the cache, sign the log and head out without spending much time looking in it.

I agree, not to mention they would probably get kind of wet and yucky over time...

Yep, those were my first and second reactions......

I can't believe I'm responding to this post....

My initial reaction was similar to the majority here; not cool. Not quite an invasion of privacy, but close. Then as I was reading through the responses, a great point was touched on that I absolutely agree with. If you don't want your love letters being read, don't just huck them in the garbage. Privacy goes out the window when you put private things out for the public. Yes, that is exactly what you're doing by just trashing them. Shred them, burn them, do something other than putting them up for grabs in the garbage (that second a should be pronounced ahhh in this instance.)

I still think this isn't the greatest way to do this themed cache, but am downgrading my reaction from "Horrible Idea" to "Meh...."

Why the edit man? I didn't see anything wrong with the original...

There wasn't anything wrong with the original, I just thought this one was cuter and less controversial.

I actually think the 'found items' cache is a cool idea, to include love letters or any other found object. Do like Found Magazine and assure that the items are anonymous and I can't see any privacy issues arising.

I wouldn't want to see it contain identifying information such as "This is a letter TheAlabamaRambler wrote to SweetPea" but without identification like "This letter from Joe to Sue was found under the seat of a car I bought last week" I wouldn't have a problem with it.

well glad i got the negative comment section out of the way, im gonna place it anyway, ill let my local reviewer decide if its a good idea or not.

If you were planning on placing it anyway and KNEW you were going to get "negative comments" then why even post it here?

you mis read that post, the negative comment section, being the group of people who hang around the forums like buzzards waiting to kill off people who ask questions. I also knew some people would take the topic seriously, and provide some good insight, give me some feedback, and honestly tell me if they would like to find one or not like this, a few people said they would, and therefore there is my justification to put one out like this.

sure people are going to grab this one for the numbers, sure some people are going to take letters and leave garbage or nothing in return, thats not the point. Its an idea cache. the names on the letters, are first names, or may even be scratched out if necessary, some of the letters may even be fictitious all together. there is always a possibility anything paper will get wet, and destroyed inside a cache, thanks captain obvious, but if i make it a nice cache container, and take some necessary steps, as well as perform maintenance often, i can minimize such things from happening.

as for the idea of telling people to bring wine, and a love picnic as they sit near this cache in the lovely park its going to be hidden in, i think thats a great idea. love letters can inspire people to be more romantic, they can also make any reader feel good, depending, and people that visit this cache will be more than welcome to take and leave the letters.

got me thinking a bit more about it now, since im going to suggest them to bring picnic items, ill leave a bottle oppener inside the container, as well as a few "mood" cds. and suggest they bring a cd player.

this cache will be awesome, for those who want to take the time to visit it for a little longer than the number run people.

Did the rules around here change? Is it now ok to call forum members derrogatory names when we don't like their posts? :D

Apparently so.

To the OP... Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean it's negative. Asking questions is just fine! Most folks on this board love to help others. But if you post from the beginning trying to antagonize and stir things up, you might expect some opposition.

Grow up. In the real world people agree and disagree. If the majority disagrees with you, you might look at yourself and wonder why that is.

Please think before you post. Don't you want to make friends around here?

Calm down, i was not offended, i just expect to get some non friendly responses to any new post i make these days, heince the comment "cue negative, and worthless comments below" response ive been adding to my posts lately.

I also don think the person above you who was mentioning the "is it ok to call forum members derogatory names" was refering to me, because i dont remember calling anyone a derogatory name on here, ever.

back to the orig topic,

again, this is an idea i had while trying to think of caches that would combat the non thinking non creative ones in my area. but i was asking for opinions on it, and how to improve the idea, so i ignored the comments which either blasted the idea with no reason, or the comments which were off topic altogether. no worries. still open to suggestions.

I also don think the person above you who was mentioning the "is it ok to call forum members derogatory names" was refering to me, because i dont remember calling anyone a derogatory name on here, ever.

Nope - I wasn't referring to your post(s) at all.

Ah, I thought you were. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm gonna place it anyway, I'll let my local reviewer decide if its a good idea or not.

Reviewers don't 'decide if it's a good idea or not'

Reviewers review the cache to see that it complies with the guidelines.

It can be the worst cache ever in the history of caching, but if it complies with the guidelines a reviewer will publish it.

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

It seems the OP still hasn't bothered to read the guidelines, or he would know this already.

Since dumpster recovered love letters are not found in the prohibited cache contents guideline, as long as the placement complies, it will be published.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a Sweet Potato tract on a used love letter, although I certainly would be trading up. :D