BRING BACK VIRTUAL CACHE

And don't think the idea is so absurd that it won't happen. Make a virt of every 10th of a mile marker on route 80. It might be fun to rack those up, but it ain't geocaching.

Neither are the mega power trails popping up, but they're allowed.

At least that resembles geocaching.

And don't think the idea is so absurd that it won't happen. Make a virt of every 10th of a mile marker on route 80. It might be fun to rack those up, but it ain't geocaching.

I'll stick to what I started doing in 2003, go out and have a good ride, walk or hike and find some caches, move some trackables and write up a unique log for each visit. :signalviolin:

There is absolutely no defensible logic showing why virtuals should be judged any differently than any other geocache.

Banning virtuals made a mockery of the "Language of Location" slogan.

Micros in lamp posts behind McDonald's are routinely published, so there is no reason at all a virt at that location shouldn't be.

The WOW requirement was unmanageable but that's because it wasn't sensible to start with. We don't judge the location's worthiness for any other cache, we didn't need to for virts either.

This whole thing boils down to the Reviewer's didn't want to deal with them anymore, Groundspeak backed them up and agreed to ban rather than revise them, and good decision or bad they evidently aren't going to change their position.

All this hoo-raw about the good or evil of virts is wasted time until and unless Groundspeak decides to revisit their decision, and I don't think we'll see that happen.

TPTB decided to invest in Waymarking and took it in a different direction that, apparently, most cachers choose not to participate in. Like the decision to ban virts, don't look for Groundspeak to admit that Waymarking is an EPIC FAIL.

I've never seen Groundspeak say "We were wrong, we'll change our minds and reverse our decision" and I don't expect to ever see such a reversal.

You do know it's gotten the "under consideration" tag on the feedback site, right?

Groundspeak SHOULD MERGE Waymarking INTO GEOCACHIN IN THE FOLLOWING WAY:

1. On your profile page, under Geocaches found, list waymarks found and for that matter waymarks added under Geocaches owned. Show the NUMBERS for each but keep them out of the totals, sort of like benchmarks.

Then waymarks would take off. It's all about the numbers. Part of the fun in a game is keeping score.

Edited by Earthdog Patrick

I'll stick to what I started doing in 2003, go out and have a good ride, walk or hike and find some caches, move some trackables and write up a unique log for each visit. :)

Would it be fair to say that you have little to no interest in how this activity evolves, what features or functions are added or removed or how it might affect the communities wherein we carry-on those activities?

I mean there is nothing wrong with that. This organization like many others would not long survive if most of it's customers were activists. The Steady Eddies are in fact the life blood of most enterprises. :)

Edited by Team Cotati