Old Timey Logs (2000-2005)?

SeekerOfTheWay

i'm still reading a bunch of longer threads (and older) threads on here.

One mentioned the "old days" of caching where the logs would be signed with details of the find, the hunt.

Does anyone do this still? All the caches i've found just have handles and dates signed.

i like to write about my adventure but i've been doing it in the online log. Is that supposed to go in the physical log? Wouldn't that use up the log too quickly?

Thoughts? Thanks!

When there's a log book (rather than a log sheet), I often write more than the date and my name. A lot depends on whether there's a nice spot near the cache where I can sit and write, whether anything interesting happened, and whether I'm with someone who's rushing me to finish.

I usually write more in my online log though, with the exception of puzzle caches, where I sometimes write in more detail about solving the puzzle in the physical log than in the online log. I wrote a lot in the physical log for the puzzle multi-cache that was my 500th find.

I like to sign with more detail as well if there's a larger logbook, otherwise I just sign my name and put the date if the logbook is small since I don't want to take up too much space.

I love to read longer logs in books a lot as well. But no matter what the size of the book, I always look through to see if there are other people that I know in there :)

If the cache is big enough to have a log book, I often leave a comment about the journey to the cache, or any wildlife seen on the way to it.

Or comment on how well/bad the day is going!

If the cache was really hard to find, a comment in the log book will mean something to the next finders, but may not be appropriate to be seen in the online log -If the cache is very well disguised/hidden.

I there is a logbook I'll always write more than just my name and date. I never wrote much in the paper log even way back. I saved the details for my online log. My paper logs will usually comment on the weather and how much I enjoyed the walk. A sentence or two or three.

I find it interesting to page through the logs, particularly of older caches. Things like reading about a previous finder finding it in knee deep snow on a 5 degree day, while I'm standing there dripping sweat and swatting away mosquitoes.

Edited by briansnat

In a full size logbook, I will often write a sentence or two about the weather or view but I do not recall ever leaving much more than that even when I started 8+ years ago. I know a few folks would write much more back then but it wasn't terribly common. Although I must admit that a few short comments that used to be the norm are now reduced to a date and name.

If the cache was fun or particularly challenging for some reason or there was something I really liked about it, I'll write a little bit in the log book. If it's a log sheet - just my handle & date. If it's just an average easy cache that is neither difficult or memorable, I just do the handle/date. Sometimes if I'm exhausted after finding a physically difficult cache, I'll do a few sentences in the log and expand it online.

There were two caches by me that had me making my way through a swamp and I was happy to leave a longer log. Here's one:

"My first puzzle cache. Took me a while to figure the clues out. I was impressed by how spot-on all the coordinates were. First and second trails were easy enough, but the last bit of getting to the cache was brutal. Maybe it's all the extra water melting from the snow, but I was definitely hugging onto trees as I jumped from moss pile to moss pile. Didn't find that bridge I read about in the logs so I tried to balance across a fallen tree and slipped off into the water. That's also why I didn't take any pictures - the camera took a dip as well. Muddy, bleeding and wet, I finally found the cache and sat there for about 15 minutes to get myself back in order. I found the little bridge on the way out, thankfully. This cache lived up to the terrain rating for sure, but I enjoy a little punishment once in a while. I was also glad I didn't bring the dog with me this time."

And then I've got this cache that people are writing pretty long logs in.

Edited by ipodguy

In the logbook in the cache I usually only sign my name and date however, when I log them on geocaching.com I sometimes write a longer more detailed explanation of my find. IN the woods or a local park I find myself pressed for time: misquotes, muggles, the heat the rain, ect. At home sitting in front of my computer I have more time and fewer distractions so I write a bit more. And as memtioned by other the size of the logbook could be only a strip of paper, or maybe a sheet of paper so the amount you can write is limited.

I usually give the details of my experience in my online log, unless there is a lot of room in the log book. Then I will sometimes put a few comments in there that are special comments for the cache hider. Those don't go in my online log. I know my comments in the log book in the cache will only be seen by the hider and the other finders of the cache, whereas my online comments will be seen by anyone looking at the cache page.

Is that supposed to go in the physical log?
You put what ever you want in the log.

We generally stamp our signature, write the date, put in what we left and/or took, and thank the owner for the adventure. We'll add a bit about the hunt if the mood strikes us. I've written a few pages on a cache once where I had an almost spiritual experience--being a flat lander in hill of western NC, seeing sun rise as you ride to the parking spot, seeing the "purple mountain majesties," then seeing the curvature of the Earth as you reach the peak. I don't know, maybe I was feeling silly that day. Or maybe the hill folks might have the same sort of feeling if when standing on one of our local beaches stares straight out into the ocean and thinks "Nothing that way but water for several thousands miles until I hit Africa."

Wouldn't that use up the log too quickly?
Quicker? Yes. Too quick? Nope.

One could think a massive notebook with nothing but names and dates has fewer memories than one with fewer names but more feedback and adventure.

Those sitting at the cache who come after you know nothing about your previous visit other than it was if you put nothing but your name and date.