Police Took Cache - Want Me To Come Get It

An officer's determination that you may be breaking the law in no means proves that you are indeed breaking the law.

For once, something we can agree on.

It took two trips to the court and the judge promising to arrest me if he found out I was lying but, the officer alleging the law was broken was not an indication that a law had been broken.

:lol::lol::D

An officer's determination that you may be breaking the law in no means proves that you are indeed breaking the law.

It took two trips to the court and the judge promising to arrest me if he found out I was lying but, the officer alleging the law was broken was not an indication that a law had been broken.

We agree on a lot more than you seem to realize. Edited by knowschad

We agree on a lot more than you seem to realize.

Shhhhh. You should never admit to that in an open forum.

We agree on a lot more than you seem to realize.

Shhhhh. You should never admit to that in an open forum.

Thanks. I've taken care of the situation.
Similar thing happened to me in NYC recently, and have to tell you the officer was itching to issue a summons, but he could not determine where I fit in the mix--I had not placed the cache and the law enforcement agency had alread removed it. But he did detain, while he ran my credentials-- I of course continued to look for where the cache should have been, while my friend engaged him in conversation.

GC1QKJD

He did tell me to let the owner , the reviewer and "my club" know of the illegality of same. Have to say implied permission is a total fiction, doesn't exist anywhere in law or in fact. But that never stopped anyone.

Implied permission in itself is not necessarily fiction.

That's right. It is utter self-serving fantasy.

Never talk to cops. Ever. I'd just replace the cache, and get permission written from the park.

Really? Why? I know a number of cops who are cachers, I used to work alongside them for the Department of Youth Services, I interact closely with them in my disaster relief work, almost married a cop many years ago, and count three as good personal friends of many years now.

As a cacher my friends say that I'm a cop magnet because I get asked what I'm up to so often! I've never had a single bad experience with police.

Perhaps if you live your life in a way that makes you scared of the police you're doing it wrong? :blink:

I will agree that if you have committed a crime your advice is good. No matter what they tell you about 'we're here to help' and 'things will go better for you if you tell us the truth' keep your mouth firmly shut! Remember the important part of what they tell you - 'Whatever you say can and will be used against you' ;)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Never talk to cops. Ever. I'd just replace the cache, and get permission written from the park.

Really? Why? I know a number of cops who are cachers, I used to work alongside them for the Department of Youth Services, I interact closely with them in my disaster relief work, almost married a cop many years ago, and count three as good personal friends of many years now.

As a cacher my friends say that I'm a cop magnet because I get asked what I'm up to so often! I've never had a single bad experience with police.

Perhaps if you live your life in a way that makes you scared of the police you're doing it wrong? :)

I will agree that if you have committed a crime your advice is good. No matter what they tell you about 'we're here to help' and 'things will go better for you if you tell us the truth' keep your mouth firmly shut! Remember the important part of what they tell you - 'Whatever you say can and will be used against you' :lol:

Wow. Your use of smiley faces really doesn't take away your judgmental comments. You can talk to cops all you want. The advice is sound especially with regards to this sport. Answer requisite questions and move on. Telling the truth can be detrimental for you. I answer only the minimum questions necessary to move on. Most cops suggest doing that as well. We have moved from a country where cops were our neighborhood friends to an "us vs. them" mentality. Basically its your choice whether or not to talk to the cops. Anything you say can be incriminating, and your insulting post really doesn't take into consideration the experiences of others, and you imply that I am a criminal. I have spent exactly 0 days behind bars.

I doubt you'll get to the end, but kudos if you do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

I doubt you'll get to the end, but kudos if you do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Great watch, thank you.

It's a cool talk, I've seen that video several times... in Criminal Justice classes at college, most recently in FEMA IC-400 training (which was mostly attended by Police and Fire Captains and staff who totally agreed) and in other places.

It is good advice, especially if you are guilty of a crime. Yes, totally innocent people can be made to look guilty by the simplest of word games any cop knows how to play, but I just don't believe the average cop is out to get me. I just won't live like that. I refuse to be scared of my police and paranoid that they are out to somehow set me up. On the other hand I have been arrested and incarcerated (Spent six hours in the Irondale hoosegow for ignoring a zoning ordnance re my ham radio antennas!). Things change dramatically in such situations and the truth will definitely not set you free.

All I can say is that being open with the police about geocaching has worked for me so far.

All I can say is that being open with the police about geocaching has worked for me so far.

...and all I can say is that apparently we didn't all grow up in the same sixties. :)

Perhaps not. Each of us experiences our own reality. :D

In my reality of the late '60s and '70s a few roaches in the ashtray or a quarter-gram of hash discovered in a pocket didn't have the same outcome, then or now, for a small-town southern middle-class white son of a prominent local physician that it might have for other people. My reality was don't sweat the small stuff, the cops aren't out to get me, keep a sense of humor and even when busted cold they weren't going to pursue the minor issues. I am quite sure others didn't have that same experience.

My last serious interface with police was before I quit drinking in 1979. My buddy and I decided to go fishing about eleven o'clock one night. His car, my boat, the tail-light connectors wouldn't match. We went anyway. Trooper stops us at about 1 a.m. for running 81 in a 50 mph zone with no tail-lights on a narrow 2-lane back road. He asks "Have you been drinking?" and we both point to each other and say "Not me, Officer, but he's drunk as hell!" The Trooper laughed, got a flashlight from the trunk of his cruiser, we taped it on back of the boat motor so we'd have a tail-light, and off we went. He told us to slow down and be careful.

That's always exemplified my interactions with cops. I've never had one reason to be afraid of them.

Your mileage may vary. :) Mine could change at any moment. ;) That's why I quit doing all that stuff... you can only be lucky enough to get the right cop so many times before you get one who doesn't cut you any slack. Still, when geocaching I can't imagine the police giving me a hard time. At least they haven't in the perhaps 30 times that they have stopped to ask what I was doing over the years. Twice in closed spaces, night-caching once in a closed county park and again night-caching in a closed city baseball field the cops have simply heard our story, reminded us the park closed at dark and said "Come back in the daytime."

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I visited the cache page and it looks like the cache hide is back up and going.

I know several officers who cache and have cached with them. Once an off duty officer was searching for one of my "evil" hides in front of a business. An employee saw him and went out to give the cacher a hint or two. About then a fire engine parked in front for a routine inspection and reconized the officer and asked him what was up. This is when I drove into the driveway and saw the fire engine with all those people milling around my hide. "Could a bison hidden inside a rock cause a bomb scare?" was going through my head. The officer made the find but with a muggle or two watching <G>.

Just a few months ago on a back road two CHP stopped where I had pulled over to search for a cache. They made sure I wasn't having in problems and I told them about geocaching. I didn't have time to find it yet and they join me in the hunt for several minutes. I had to DNF it that day. The next day I stopped again and found the hide about 5 feet where we had been standing. It was an ammo can covered with dayglow paints. I still don't know how in the world we missed the find on the first attempt.

Of the more than dozen times I've interacted with officers on my hunts I've never had a bad experience.

I agree whoever said to go get the cache because if they did want you, they'd come get you. Check out this post on my BLOG at.. http://www.tftc.us/post/2009/06/03/News-Re...turns-Home.aspx After a long drawn out ordeal with some Halloween related cache, I actually snapped a picture of the sheriff deputies loading my cache into my truck. I nearly got charged with 9 different misdemeanors.