What kind of cacher are you?

Zor

A couple weeks ago I posted an opinion piece on Cache Up NB about "types" of cachers. I thought I'd repost it here to see what folks on here see themselves as.

--

Recently I went out to Dieppe to do Tiger Tracker’s Dieppe trail series. In the process of hiking about 8.5K, I started thinking about the different kinds of cachers that are out there. When you really sit back and look at the sport of geocaching, there are many different kinds of cachers who play this game for far different reasons. So in pondering the many different ways in which this game gets played, I came up with what I think covers most players. Keep in mind that these are general categories. Many cachers would fall under more than one of these. Here’s what I came up with:

The Traditional Cacher

Traditional cachers are generally the kinds of cachers who have been in the game for a long time and tend to stick to the original premise of geocaching. Back when the game first started, there were far fewer caches out there so cachers then would go on long hikes and place/find caches that were in really spectacular locations. The point of caching at that time was to show off some great locations to people who might not otherwise know about them. Traditional cachers are big fans of hiking, the outdoors, and nature in general. They see geocaching as an opportunity to go out and explore wooded and other non-urban areas. They’re not fans of micros, and try to do trades whenever possible. They usually avoid most city or urban based hides and many of them are part of other outdoor organizations and hobbies.

The Competitive Cacher

Competitive cachers are geocachers who see their find count as a score, and to them, the idea is to get the best possible score they can. They typically do cache runs that involve obtaining as many caches as possible in the shortest amount of time. To them, it’s a game of “How many can we get this time?” or “I need my find count to be X”. They typically “compete” with other cachers who have a find count similar or higher than their own and use power-caching as a means to increase their numbers so that they can match or exceed someone else’s score. Friendly competition between cachers results in one competitive cacher having a find count that another cacher feels the need to beat. Competitive cachers can sometimes be a bit reckless in the way they sign logs, and sometimes do not take the proper time to replace caches in the same place they were found. Some competitive cachers have been known to use unethical tactics (such as logging finds for caches they were not present at) in order to inflate their numbers. Traditional cachers typically are not big fans of competitive cachers.

The Social Cacher

Social cachers are geocachers who have really no preference for the type of container they find/hide, nor do they care where the find caches, as long as they are with someone else when they cache. For these cachers, geocaching is all about the social interaction with other geocachers. They attend every event that they possible can simply because they are very interested in interacting with other cachers, and meeting new people. They typically are not very shy and very friendly and open to other geocachers. They rarely go caching by themselves and prefer to have at least one person with them when out caching. They thrive in small to medium group cache outings. Social cachers might also be active in geocoin trading and discovering of coins and bugs as this also gives them a means to meet other geocachers.

The Casual Cacher

Casual cachers are geocachers who enjoy the sport of geocaching, but do not make it a regular hobby of theirs. They typically learn about the sport from someone they know or something they have read and decide to try it out. They usually find interest in it but typically do not pursue it as an active hobby. They will typically not go out on large geocache hunts, but instead might go find a cache or two when there is a low-point in some other activity. They may for example go on a camping trip and bring their GPS with them and then realize there are caches nearby and grab one or two. Another example could be an urban activity where they need to kill some time so they grab a few park and grabs for something to do. Casual cachers typically do not participate in power-caching or large groups of cachers going out together. They see the sport as something interesting, but they only seek out caches when they are convenient or when they have nothing else to do. Casual cachers typically are not seen at many caching events. Casual cachers do not typically have high find counts but they may have been active in the sport for a very long time.

The Urban Cacher

Urban cachers are geocachers who do not like to go on long hikes. They are not big fans of the woods and prefer to stay within the city limits. They do not have preferences on container type, but because they are restricted to the city limits, they typically find a lot of micros. Urban cachers typically do not want to veer too far from their car when caching. They typically park the car near the cache location and then walk no more than 50M to a cache. Any cache that requires any amount of exercise or real legwork is not a cache they are interested in finding. Terrain levels above two are likely off limits to an urban cacher. Urban cachers may on occasion travel to another city to obtain caches but stay off trails and wooded areas. Urban cachers might also be known as the “Park and Grabber” Cacher.

The Abandoned Newbie Cacher

Abandoned newbie cachers are geocachers who learn of the game and become very interested for a short period of time. These cachers typically get very excited about finding geocaches and start off very strong. They initially go out and find a bunch of different caches in their area and get very excited about the sport but the interest typically dies off within a few months. After a few months or so of finding many caches, they tend to slow down in their finds until eventually they stop finding caches entirely and abandon the game for something else. Many of these same cachers get so excited in their first month that they decide to hide a few caches of their own. Many times these caches are hidden in poorly chosen locations, with questionable containers. Since they typically quit the game within a few months, their hides typically remain un-maintained and eventually turn into geo-trash.

The Camo’d Cacher

Camo’d cachers are typically cachers who seek out and hide caches that are extremely hard to find due to their unique camo. In many cases, the caches they seek are found in urban settings but have higher difficulty ratings because the caches have been camo’d in a very clever fashion. Whether it be in the form of bolts, fake trees, or other types of unique camo, these caches are very unique and thusly an attractive hide/find to the camo’d cacher. Camo’d cachers find regular park and grab micros a waste of time and very unoriginal. To them, the idea of hiding a cache is all about making the cache visible to everyone around them, but still hidden well. Finding extremely well camo’d caches gives them a great sense of accomplishment. They also get a bit of a thrill receiving DNF logs on caches they have hidden knowing full well the cache has stumped another finder. Camo’d cachers may enlist the use of urban camo clothing when looking for some of these unique hides. Hardhats, orange vests, and other “official” looking apparel is sometimes used to thwart muggles.

The Hybrid Cacher

This is the most common form of geocacher. A hybrid cacher is someone who takes on the personality of two or more of the previously mentioned cacher types. They may enjoy caching along a nice trail in the middle of the woods, but also enjoy going to events and doing some park and grabs. They might hate micros but love finding well camo’d caches. The hybrid cacher might also change their combination of hiding/finding styles depending on their personality and various other situations. Some cachers will spend a great deal of time in the woods getting caches and doing long hikes and avoid urban settings but then turn around and decide to snag a pile of micros within the city. Hybrid cachers usually have one or two “major” categories they fall under and the rest they might do from time to time. They also tend to either be competitive or non-competitive but rarely both.

The original article can be read here

Fortunately the Hybrid Cacher category is so broad, that it allows me to actually fit in to a category. I mostly enjoy finding nature preserves and the like and cemeteries. I don't particularly care for anything in front of a business. I will do those if I have my daughter with me, she doesn't like the woods. I only hide what I like to find. I do have days where I prefer a numbers run, but for me a numbers run is 15. They will be almost all cemeteries. It's hard to do a numbers run in a forest that only has a couple and they are long walks between.

"They also tend to either be competitive or non-competitive but rarely both."

This struck me as funny, I don't think you can be competitive and non-competitive, can you?:)

Abandoned newbie cachers are geocachers who learn of the game and become very interested for a short period of time. These cachers typically get very excited about finding geocaches and start off very strong. They initially go out and find a bunch of different caches in their area and get very excited about the sport but the interest typically dies off within a few months. After a few months or so of finding many caches, they tend to slow down in their finds until eventually they stop finding caches entirely and abandon the game for something else. Many of these same cachers get so excited in their first month that they decide to hide a few caches of their own. Many times these caches are hidden in poorly chosen locations, with questionable containers. Since they typically quit the game within a few months, their hides typically remain un-maintained and eventually turn into geo-trash.

I used to call these "Seagull Cachers" - Come on the scene, make a lot of noise, leave their poop everywhere then leave.

How about a casual hybrid cacher. I will do both urban and wilderness hike caches but I have other hobbies such as fishing and disc golf(although that has taken a back burner due to elbow issues) that I also do. I love the sport and will get the family together and go find caches for a day but it is not my top priority every weekend. I have to chose amongst my 3 main hobbies what I will do with the limited time available. Right now geocaching is second to fishing and ahead of disc golf but they are all fun so I am satisfied no matter what hobby I am doing at any particular time.

Edited by searchgeo

A couple weeks ago I posted an opinion piece on Cache Up NB about "types" of cachers. I thought I'd repost it here to see what folks on here see themselves as.

--

]

i wonder what a competitive cacher would write as descriptions for everyone.... if they had the time to write something at all. :)

I guess I'd be closest to what you describe as a "Traditional".

However - I do somewhat object to some of the phrases you included: "original premise', 'The point of caching at that time...', 'They’re not fans of micros...' and more. I guess I really don't see the activity as changing all that much and the implication that it has somehow evolved away from these concepts. I still think Geocaching is and should largely be about exloring the world around me. Be that prairie, plains, ocean, lakes, streams, woods, parks or whatever.

I am a thug cacher all the way, I dress up in all black and go into a high muggled area and see If I can get the cache.

Hah, I really would be a hybrid cacher because I love long walks in the woods (Love them ammo cans!) But I love micros in high muggle areas, ohh so much fun, with all the people looking at you like Who the heck?

Non-competitive Hybrid cacher.

When I can I prefer to go for caches that are a little remote. Because of limited mobility, I cannot do long hikes, but will do long drives in the mountains. (With somewhat shorter hikes at the end.)

While that is my favorite kind of hunt, I also enjoy grabbing the LPC, and guardrail cache. Any thing that will get me out of the house and off my rear for a while. :):D

As for the competitive side, I like watching my numbers grow. I keep track of my milestones. However, I really do not pay much attention to anyone else's numbers. I do like to be the first to spot a cache when we go with two or more others. But I don't think that rises to a competitive status.

I used to call these "Seagull Cachers" - Come on the scene, make a lot of noise, leave their poop everywhere then leave.

This is HILARIOUS.

As for me, I'm definitely a hybrid cacher... if there were a category for the "wants to try it all" cacher, that would be me. I like all sizes of caches, in urban and in the wild (although I do prefer the great outdoors to the urban ones about 70/30). I sometimes like to go on long cache runs (although for us that means like 30-ish in a day, not as much as some). I LOVE challenge caches, I love events, I like all the different varieties of caches, including Earth Caches (just got our Earth Cache master bronze), and I think I'm actually going to be trying the ET power trail (working up the plans).

But am I competetive with other people? I would say no. I do, however, like to challenge myself :)

I'm the "Hoping To Find A Hot Babe Lurking Around GZ Looking For The Same Geocache And Who Doesn't Mace Me When I Ask Her Out" cacher.

You might be tempted to use the pick-up line "Found what you're looking for yet?"

Or, if you took the cache some place else to sign the log, "I've got what you're looking for".

Personally, I think these lines might result in you being maced or pepper-sprayed, especially if the other party is not a geocacher. The likelihood of encounter with such chemicals increase the more different you are from David Hasselhoff or Tom Cruise you are in appearance.

edit : Just want to add that if you try such pickup lines with nymphnsatyr, I recall her saying something about a big, biker husband :)

Edited by Chrysalides

Wow a lot of type of cachers!

I like finding the HARD ones, and i love doing the long 30mile bike rides into the woods to find them. Or the ones in the middle of downtown are fun.

I wouldn't mind doing a "Race" with someone though! I would be cool to find someone who is new in my area, like i am. And see who can find the MOST in a 4 hour period!

This struck me as funny, I don't think you can be competitive and non-competitive, can you?:laughing:

Actually, I think I am :)

I played sports all my life, when I first started caching ( a few months ago) I wanted to get my (our) numbers up quickly, but life happened and we haven't been able to get out much the last 2 weeks...

But I am the first person to accept a tie, or in controversial call or something in sport, I don't care...give it to the other player...whatever...but I am always out to try to give it a good show...

I think that kind of falls into competitive AND non-competitive...or maybe it is just somewhere in between?

anyway, I am definitely a hybrid, though I prefer when I am running on electric, not gas... :laughing:

I'm the "Hoping To Find A Hot Babe Lurking Around GZ Looking For The Same Geocache And Who Doesn't Mace Me When I Ask Her Out" cacher.

I deserve a category of my own. :laughing:

There's at least two in the category :) (scatter'n'gory if said babe isn't a geocacher..).

Otherwise, I'm a hybrid meself, loving the privacy of caching deep in the woods, but also sometimes the need for stealth in a public place.. and most of all, hoping not to end up in the last category (no chance of that just now, as I haven't placed any caches myself yet :laughing:)

Hybrid. Competitive/non-competitive abandoned newbie cacher here. :)

Actually, I consider myself a traditionalist who doesn't mind micros. Or maybe an "omnivorous cacher". I will find any cache anywhere, as long as I don't have to dig through garbage or possibly break the law.

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined

I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Staring at the blank page before you

Open up the dirty window

Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Reaching for something in the distance

So close you can almost taste it

Release your inhibitions

Feel the rain on your skin

No one else can feel it for you

Only you can let it in

No one else, no one else

Can speak the words on your lips

Drench yourself in words unspoken

Live your life with eyes wide open

Today is where your book begins

The rest is still unwritten

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines

We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way

Staring at the blank page before you

Open up the dirty window

Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find

Release your inhibitions

Only you can let it in

No one else, no one else

Live your life with eyes wide open

Only you can let it in

No one else, no one else

Live your life with arms wide open

The rest is still unwritten

Release your inhibitions

Only you can let it in

No one else, no one else

Live your life with arms wide open

Cool! Did you write that, or did Natasha Bedingfield write it?

(OK, I know, you know, we all know... just ribbing you a bit)

You never know. Maybe I helped her write it....

(OK, she didn't actually write it at all. She only sang it)

Cool! Did you write that, or did Natasha Bedingfield write it?

(OK, I know, you know, we all know... just ribbing you a bit)

You never know. Maybe I helped her write it....

(OK, she didn't actually write it at all. She only sang it)

You are such a talented little gray mouse!!

I'm the kind who won't go many places without her little dog. It's usually just me and my lhasa apso, but I bring friends when I can. I enjoy both urban and backcountry hides and seek whatever fits into my itinerary. One of the things I love most about geocaching is that it's brought me to places I probably wouldn't have found otherwise - and I'm constantly surprised at how many of these are in more urban locations.

Hybrid I guess, I'm a lil bit traditional, a lil bit casual, a lil bit social. Not particularly competitive though.

I agree. I love being in the woods, but I get tired of stump, log, under bark, and so then camo'd caches are fun. I'm not competitive and not into stats. I like to hide either clever caches, or ones that are in special, beautiful places. I cache in my town and in the wilderness, and think it would be fun to cache in a big city. That said, just came back from caching at a great event in South Lake Tahoe...mostly long hikes. It's just fun, no matter where you are. I would never go on one of those runs...couldn't sound more boring to me, but I'm also not up for a 5/5 since I take my dog with me. So, hybrid. Good article and quite true. I think most people I've met are hybrids.

I'm the abandoned newbie. Started out strong but had no one to teach me, kinda picked it up by myself and always go by myself which can be boring. A big reason I'm fading is I'm no longer in school and now that I'm home I'm more lazy :) I'm sure I'll get better eventually but we all have to start out as newbies

Definitely a hybrid cacher here. There are aspects of several types I can relate to. I enjoy a good road trip, gobbling up all the available caches in the outlying communities. I enjoy the hunt for a well camo'd micro that eludes many who seek it. PnG's are fine by me also. I enjoy puzzles, having to accomplish a mental challenge prior to the physical acquisition. Until a few months ago, I was also a pretty serious FTF hound. I truly enjoy the caches that have sat idle for long periods of time, either due to difficulty of the hide or the puzzle blocking the smiley. There are only a few hides in my area that require extensive hiking, but I have also found pleasure pursuing those as well. When I started out, my kids were frequently involved in the hobby, but their interest has waned. I have only cached once with another person other than my kiddos, and found that to be fun too. The caches I really want? ALL of them. The one I look forward to the most? The NEXT one...

Hybrid. I very quickly rocket into hobbies, like the beginning half of the abandoned noob cacher, extremely ambitious, except I don't quit and don't lose interest. I go balls out into anything I start, I quickly attempt to learn all the ropes, adapt, and excel. After doing so, I eventually find myself trying to connect with the local core member, in an attempt to fit in even further. I absolutely love the outdoors, hiking, rock climbing and biking, at the same time I love trying to be incognito for city caches.

Edited by Dragery