TFTC

I'm sure it's really simply because everyone seems to write it when they log their visits but I have absolutely no idea what it means. could someone enlighten me please.

Thanks For the Cache

The getting Started Forum has a thread on acronyms

It means that I have nothing interesting or creative to post that I found your cache.

When used exclusively by itself, of course. I mean I'll throw it at the end of a 250 word log.

Speaking of which, newer cachers, almost always of the under 100 find variety, seem to be dropping "TFTC" only logs like crazy. And not just in my area, everywhere. I am not imagining this. I've even considered starting a forum thread. Anyone else notice these strange happenings, or have any theories as to why?

It means that I have nothing interesting or creative to post that I found your cache.

When used exclusively by itself, of course. I mean I'll throw it at the end of a 250 word log.

Absotively correct. :D

Speaking of which, newer cachers, almost always of the under 100 find variety, seem to be dropping "TFTC" only logs like crazy. And not just in my area, everywhere. I am not imagining this. I've even considered starting a forum thread. Anyone else notice these strange happenings, or have any theories as to why?

Ni! :)

It is out there in profusion because the device manufacturers have TFTC as an option in the paperless caching software.

Ni! Duh, thanks!! Most especially thanks for saving me the embarrassment of starting a forum thread about it. :) It's all newbies doing it. Newbies are much more likely to cache with smartphone GPS's. (Or Nuvi's plucked off their car windshield, but never mind that). So they can log a TFTC only log from the smartphone. Mystery solved.

C'mon now, I can't possibly be the only one who noticed the mass influx of newbie generated "TFTC" logs and couldn't figure it out. Or am I? :D

It is out there in profusion because the device manufacturers have TFTC as an option in the paperless caching software.

Ni! Duh, thanks!! Most especially thanks for saving me the embarrassment of starting a forum thread about it. :) It's all newbies doing it. Newbies are much more likely to cache with smartphone GPS's. (Or Nuvi's plucked off their car windshield, but never mind that). So they can log a TFTC only log from the smartphone. Mystery solved.

C'mon now, I can't possibly be the only one who noticed the mass influx of newbie generated "TFTC" logs and couldn't figure it out. Or am I? :D

Nope, you aren't the only one. I didn't know about the software logging option.

C'mon now, I can't possibly be the only one who noticed the mass influx of newbie generated "TFTC" logs and couldn't figure it out. Or am I? :)

Or it could be Laziness or a lack of experience. I also have noticed this.

C'mon now, I can't possibly be the only one who noticed the mass influx of newbie generated "TFTC" logs and couldn't figure it out. Or am I? :)

Or it could be Laziness or a lack of experience. I also have noticed this.

Well, laziness and lack of experience could be a factor. But this makes perfect sense. In the past 6-12 months, I've seen hundreds of "TFTC" only logs coming from newer members of the Geocaching community, almost all of them under 100 finds. I was like "how do these people even know what that means"? I'll bet you can't find hundreds and hundreds of newb TFTC logs from 2008 or earlier. And I ignore most park-n-grab's, I'm talking I've seen this on some pretty decent caches. :laughing:

I don't think I'm particularly lazy. I use TFTC because I saw it on the forum and use of acronyms. I thought you were supposed to use it? I'm a newbie with 175 caches. When do I become just a cacher and not a newbie? I'm not being smart, I really want to know....1000? 2000?

Okay and so what is "Ni"?

OK, I'll bite . . . what is up with all the "Ni!" responses today?

It's a reference to Monty Python's "King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table". YouTube has several clips from the movie. A search for "Knights Ni Python". Funnier I think is the French Taunting clip. Search for "Python French Taunting". This has nothing to do with anything but I did laugh at the end.

I don't think I'm particularly lazy. I use TFTC because I saw it on the forum and use of acronyms. I thought you were supposed to use it? I'm a newbie with 175 caches. When do I become just a cacher and not a newbie? I'm not being smart, I really want to know....1000? 2000?

If you still think of yourself as a newbie then you are.

If you feel like you are no longer a newbie then you aren't.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! I myself said I'll drop a TFTC on the end of a 250 word log. I'm talking TFTC, only TFTC, and nothing but TFTC. I looked up 2 of my old finds, being careful to choose two different regions hundreds of miles from home (to show it's not just me and my area), and quickly found these:

Exhibit A, NE Pa.

Exhibit B, Central New Jersey

Exhibit B has only 9 finds. How would they even know what it means that they'd sit on a computer and type that and hit submit?

Exhibit B has only 9 finds. How would they even know what it means that they'd sit on a computer and type that and hit submit?

I really don't understand this statement. I knew what TFTC was before I found my first cache I read logs, found an acronym I didn't know, Google'd it, and gained knowledge. Right from my first cache I could use TFTC knowing full well what it meant. This is true of most acronyms I come across .

I really don't understand this statement. I knew what TFTC was before I found my first cache I read logs, found an acronym I didn't know, Google'd it, and gained knowledge. Right from my first cache I could use TFTC knowing full well what it meant. This is true of most acronyms I come across .

Well yeah, me too. I surfed around this site for a few days, and joined after coming home from finding my first cache. I actually used the term "Muggle" in my first geocache log that day. But you need to look no further than the original post in this thread to see not everyone does this.

So what I'm saying is, massive coordinated international conspiracy by new geocachers to sit at computer's and lamely log "TFTC" for geocache finds, no. Uncoordinated international effort by new geocachers to press a couple of buttons on their smartphone gps to upload a lame "TFTC" log to Geocaching.com, yes. :)

A lone TFTC as a log indocates either a lazy placer or a lazy finder.

I always write something and then a TFTC as a courtesy. I don't write books because it's a drag to read those out in the field, but I do think it's rude to just write TFTC. I'm trying to be a good cacher here. And, some caches are really silly. I mean, we have one here that's a camo'd pill bottle laying in the middle of three decorative trees, fully out in the open, if anyone should wander that way. Little efforts lead to little comments. I try and really let people know how much I like their caches as well, especially the ones where you can see they put in a lot of effort. We have some here that are truly creative masterpieces.

TFTC haha (Thanks for the chat).

Well yeah, me too. I surfed around this site for a few days, and joined after coming home from finding my first cache. I actually used the term "Muggle" in my first geocache log that day. But you need to look no further than the original post in this thread to see not everyone does this.

So what I'm saying is, massive coordinated international conspiracy by new geocachers to sit at computer's and lamely log "TFTC" for geocache finds, no. Uncoordinated international effort by new geocachers to press a couple of buttons on their smartphone gps to upload a lame "TFTC" log to Geocaching.com, yes. :lol:

Ah gotcha! Global conspiracies are problematic.

A lone TFTC as a log indocates either a lazy placer or a lazy finder.

Or apparently an uninformed finder using one of the new smartphone apps.

Absolutely! They probably don't even know what it means, in many cases. Or they just put nonsensical phrases into their field notes, and probably have no idea they are even uploading them as find logs to the website. BIG DOG, WOOF WOOF, anyone? :unsure: Excuse me, while I put these sunglasses on. The future of Geocaching is so bright, I have to wear shades.

Edited by Mr.Yuck