Frustration!

juanbob

I am just home from a day of hunting - benchmark and geocache. 12 benchmarks on my list, and I get 2. 1 is a church spire (no challenge) the other has already been found recently. Is every benchmark placed in east central PA and west central NJ from 1942 and never seen since? Does this happen in other parts of the country too? It is enough to make a guy nutty.

Rant ends here. sorry about that, eh?

Juanbob icon_mad.gificon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

You may be in an area where development has taken a heavy toll and little replacement of points has been done. If so, you just need to go farther afield. The density of these points from one area to another varies greatly. In my opinion, the most interesting ones are those out in the boondocks anyway. How exciting is it to find one on a city street that 1000 people step on every day anyhow?

ditto on the development thing, I have searched for a few that were supposed to be located on bridges etc. and the bridges have been replaced since then.

But don't stop looking for ones not recovered since 1942, a good bit of the ones I've logged have not been recovered since they were monumented (or at least not mentioned that they have been), I have also found a few that were claimed to have been destroyed, not found etc.

Although I generally don't spend too much time searching if i see there is alot of new development in the area, but I give it the benefit of the doubt most times, you never know!

- - - rain theory - - -

Keep working at it and you'll find more...Try to stay away from populated areas as you will likely find more out there.

As survey tech said:...those out west have a better chance of finding them...

If you ever come out here to visit make sure you line up some BM coordinates ahead of time.

Within about a 25-35 mile radius there are hundreds and many of them are still in the ground. Some are dropped for safety reasons(middle of an airfield or highway)and/or security reasons (Coast guard base) but lot's are out there waiting for anyone to find.

I think I have about a 90-95% success rate for those that I can't eliminate right off the bat in the how to find description.

Hope everyone is keeping safe and legal in their BM hunts

and good luck to all

-UA

RogBarn should have seen my spiffy Sneakers after I stepped in a black mud bog about 30 mins after the benchmark picture! I tried to keep em out of the pic anyway, but I had a busy road and guard rail about 8" behind me and a 40' drop on all other sides. Woohoo...love the benchmark hunting icon_smile.gif

icon_eek.gif