Which is it?

Lately people tend to be doing different things with the / or * when setting equations. I have always understood that either symbol means divide as there is no such symbol on the key board. where as there is an - + = and x. Can it be clarified that either denotes division or is it either now? division and multiply?? :D;)

Lately people tend to be doing different things with the / or * when setting equations. I have always understood that either symbol means divide as there is no such symbol on the key board. where as there is an - + = and x. Can it be clarified that either denotes division or is it either now? division and multiply?? :D;)

What really gets my goat is when people use equations and ignore basic algebra so you end up with the wrong answer.

e.g. N AB C(D*E).FGH - A and B are the 1st and 2nd digits of the degrees but algebraically it should be A*B is the degrees. The digits of the minues are C and D*E but should be D*E multiplied by C. F,G and H follow the same principle as the degrees.

Am I being too pedantic????

Here endeth the maths lesson.

Lately people tend to be doing different things with the / or * when setting equations. I have always understood that either symbol means divide as there is no such symbol on the key board. where as there is an - + = and x. Can it be clarified that either denotes division or is it either now? division and multiply?? :):D

What really gets my goat is when people use equations and ignore basic algebra so you end up with the wrong answer.

e.g. N AB C(D*E).FGH - A and B are the 1st and 2nd digits of the degrees but algebraically it should be A*B is the degrees. The digits of the minues are C and D*E but should be D*E multiplied by C. F,G and H follow the same principle as the degrees.

OK now this is why I rarely attempt multi's solo if they involve even the slightest maths...

If: A=1 B=2 C=3 D=4 E=5 F=6 G=7 H=8

I make it:

N 12 320.677 Although probably N 12 320.678 as the "-" possibly means the end of the equation?

But from what your saying I think it should be:

N 2 60.335 Although probably N 2 60.336 as the "-" possibly means the end of the equation?

Which gives me 4 latitudes up to 1593355.236 meters apart :unsure: that's before we even start thinking about longitude :blink:

Some of my classic multi logs:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...68-1fba8e79c719

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...7d-5bbbf2f3bb49

The last multi I attempted Solo, I was foolishly going for FTF luckily I recognized the cacher returning to work out the final coordinates... Once they got the FTF they gave me the answer or I would still be there now!

So multi's should never be attempted Solo :ph34r: .

Or or am I missing something? <_<

Edited by GerritS

Use a little 'common sense'. Work it out, check how far away that would be and if it's more than half a mile see if there are any alternative solutions. If there are, start with the nearest one. For the most part, cachers are a pretty lazy bunch and long walks aren't on the agenda :)

Incredible, but then probably as an amateur computer user that I never realised that / was a computer symbol for divide and that * was a computer symbol for multiply. So thanks for that DrDick&Vick, it certainly gives one a starter for ten as they say. Its a true saying that you learn something different every day.that's for sure :):D

I know "So what did you learn today"????? another topic I think!

To my reckoning if A=1 B=2 C=3 D=2 E=3 F=6 G=7 H=8

The solution is :

N 12 3(2*3).678 which gives N 12 36.678 as I was (as in many years ago) always taught that whatever is within the brackets is treated as a separate calculation.

Why should it be A*B, they are simply 2 figures that make up part of the final solution, no need to try and multiply them whatsoever. Algebra is a completely different beast to the equations that are being used in Multi Caches.

So my answer is Yes you are being too pedantic.

OK, OK, OK...

I can see both sides of the argument here.

If I see an equation given for a cache location as N AB°CD.EFG I interpret that as a simple requirement to substitute numbers for letters e.g. N 12°34.567

I don't think, "I must multiply 1x2 to get the degrees, then multiply 3x4, then after the decimal point multiply 5x6x7 to give final coordinates of N 2°12.210" :) but I do understand what the mathematicians are saying i.e. In a mathematical equation AB would mean A multiplied by B, just as xy means x multiplied by y.

I also agree that some equations in cache descriptions are not correctly written in the mathematical sense:

B(C+D) could be interpreted as 2(3+4) which is 2(7) which mathematically equals 14 but the chances are that the answer (for the purposes of a simple cache equation) is going to be 27.

*sigh*

I find that applying a liberal application of What-makes-most-sense-in-the-context-of-this-location-I'm-standing-in-right-now? generally brings the correct solution into focus.

MrsB

OK, OK, OK...

I can see both sides of the argument here.

If I see an equation given for a cache location as N AB°CD.EFG I interpret that as a simple requirement to substitute numbers for letters e.g. N 12°34.567

I don't think, "I must multiply 1x2 to get the degrees, then multiply 3x4, then after the decimal point multiply 5x6x7 to give final coordinates of N 2°12.210" :) but I do understand what the mathematicians are saying i.e. In a mathematical equation AB would mean A multiplied by B, just as xy means x multiplied by y.

I also agree that some equations in cache descriptions are not correctly written in the mathematical sense:

B(C+D) could be interpreted as 2(3+4) which is 2(7) which mathematically equals 14 but the chances are that the answer (for the purposes of a simple cache equation) is going to be 27.

*sigh*

I find that applying a liberal application of What-makes-most-sense-in-the-context-of-this-location-I'm-standing-in-right-now? generally brings the correct solution into focus.

MrsB

wot she said :D

Fishing back in my brain to university days for the right words, I think people are just getting their knickers in a twist about different notational conventions. Which convention is in place is contextual.

The convention on the geocaching site with regard to solving the final co-ordinates of a basic multi definitely seems to be that two letters next to each other – eg AB – would be converted to a two digit number via straight substitutions (eg if A = 1 and B = 2, AB = 12)

The convention in algebra is different – AB would be A multiplied by B

But we’re not doing algebra here

wot she said :)

Fishing back in my brain to university days for the right words, I think people are just getting their knickers in a twist about different notational conventions. Which convention is in place is contextual.

The convention on the geocaching site with regard to solving the final co-ordinates of a basic multi definitely seems to be that two letters next to each other – eg AB – would be converted to a two digit number via straight substitutions (eg if A = 1 and B = 2, AB = 12)

The convention in algebra is different – AB would be A multiplied by B

But we’re not doing algebra here

What they said... though I remember the first multi cache I did. Not knowing the geocaching convention, I treated one of these N AB°CD.EFG "formulas" in the algebraic way. And of course the answer didn't make any sense. Eventually I figured it out, it is a mistake you only make once.

But I had no problems with * and / :laughing: