What happened to the Reviewers?

Depending on where you are, it sometimes takes a few days to get a cache reviewed. Sometimes, it gets reviewed right away. They try to keep it under three days, but that's not always possible.

A few years ago, the game didn't have nearly the number of participants it does now.

I'm pretty sure that yet another post complaining about reviewer wait times will do nothing to speed things up, nor will it endear you to your local reviewer.

:D

Let me answer nicely before you get bashed,

the reviewers are volunteers, (even though in my mind they need to be paid by Groundspeak, since i believe they do more work for the sport of geocaching than most of us combined, but thats another topic)

this means they review new caches as soon as they get a minute to do so from their daily lives, which demand their attention just as much as im sure your cache does. And since they are also not being paid to do such a service for us, im sure its not top priority.

there are however generally a multitude of reviewers in just about every area, but your cache may just be in an area there are not many reviewers, and the ones that are have been busy for the past 24 hours.

my last cache took close to 10 days to get published, (but honestly, the reviewer and i bumped heads a few times, because i didnt read the guidelines as throughly as i should have) and in his defense, he posted some sort of reviewers note roughly every 2 days for it,

if you havent heard from a reviewer after a week, you can always delete your old cache page, and repost it, it may have gotten caught in some glitch someplace, but to my understanding your new cache should have been recieved and reviewed within a week, dont quote me on that, but they do a good job at at least notifying you they got it and are looking in to it.

You should have received an email confirmation when you submitted your listing. It probably looked something like this:

Thank you for submitting a new cache. We have received the following:

GC!@#$%, Name of your cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.url of your cache

Listings are published by volunteers and you can usually expect this to be reviewed within 3 days. Unpublished caches cannot be viewed by the general public. If you wish to view or edit your cache listing in the meantime, please login and use the URL above.

There's a bit of a difference between 3 days and 24 hours, especially when weekends are involved. Be patient grasshopper.

From the FAQ:

When I submit a new cache for publication, how long will it take to be listed?

Each cache that is submitted to Geocaching.com is reviewed by a volunteer, to ensure that the cache meets the Geocaching Listing Guidelines. This process may take up to 72 hours to have your cache posted to the web site. We kindly ask for your patience during this review, especially on weekends when site traffic can be high.

LOL, I am a reveiwer for several Waymarking cat. some of them the most popular, I turn around 10-20 or more in less than 12 hours MAX from All over the world. If there isn't enough reviewers to keep up with demand in an area, Get some more. It isn't like we get paid to do it!!! and there is lots of people will to do it!

LOL, I am a reveiwer for several Waymarking cat. some of them the most popular, I turn around 10-20 or more in less than 12 hours MAX from All over the world. If there isn't enough reviewers to keep up with demand in an area, Get some more. It isn't like we get paid to do it!!! and there is lots of people will to do it!

Two reactions: "Good for you", and "So what?"

First of all, if anyone has gone missing, you KNOW the blue bow is behind it.

Secondly, I can't help but point out that this response just goes to show how much of a joke Waymarking is considered by many.

*** Yes, I realize some people are really into Waymarking. But by and large, Waymarking is the red headed step sister of Geocaching and a lot of people just don't take it serious.

The reviewer for our area (Huntingdon County, PA) is either OReviewer or Keystone. I know that Keystone published over 6 caches in my area this morning so it isn't a matter of him being too busy. A short note to the reviewer might help in case there is a problem.

I can't wait until Keystone shows up and let's us know just what the issue is. :D

Secondly, I can't help but point out that this response just goes to show how much of a joke Waymarking is considered by many.

*** Yes, I realize some people are really into Waymarking. But by and large, Waymarking is the red headed step sister of Geocaching and a lot of people just don't take it serious.

I suspect there is a little more to do with a geocache review than simply pushing the button like at that other site. :D

I suspect there is a little more to do with a geocache review than simply pushing the button like at that other site. :D

I suspect you might be correct. That why I'm watching this thread really closely. ;)

I suspect you might be correct. That why I'm watching this thread really closely. ;)

Likewise....I suspect there may be more to the Listing itself and perhaps that is why there is a delay ;)

I suspect you might be correct. That why I'm watching this thread really closely. :)

Likewise....I suspect there may be more to the Listing itself and perhaps that is why there is a delay ;)

What disturbs me even more is that it is taking more than 15 minutes to get a response from Keystone. That is just unacceptable.

Someone needs to go wake him from his evening nap! ;)

Reviewing geocaches is substantially more involved than reviewing Waymarks.

Once again, in case you didn't hear, the service goal for reviewers is 3 days. Settle down.

What disturbs me even more is that it is taking more than 15 minutes to get a response from Keystone. That is just unacceptable.

Someone needs to go wake him from his evening nap! :D

*nonchalantly twirls the smoking gun* Sure, go ahead...

Edited by Sioneva

I suspect you might be correct. That why I'm watching this thread really closely. :)

Someone needs to go wake him from his evening nap! ;)

I'm just now returning to the keyboard after driving home from the burial service for an immediate family member last weekend. Still, I published 14 caches so far today, 19 yesterday, 12 on Saturday and 29 on Friday. There has not been a single day thus far in 2010 when I have not published a cache.

Reviewers have lives, too. We fit our volunteer work in around everything else.

The OP's puzzle cache is in OReviewer's territory (another of the five reviewers sharing duties in the Keystone State). I am sure that OReviewer will be along in due course to have a look at it. Thanks for your patience.

Reviewers don't care about the chinldren.

I think it is time your bow gets untied... bwah hah hah hah!

Edit to add:

I went camping on Memorial day weekend and no caches were published for AZ or NV for 3 days.

I went to Sedona last weekend and no AZ/NV caches were published for 2 days.

Life is still good.

Edited by Moose Mob

Edit to add:

I went camping on Memorial day weekend and no caches were published for AZ or NV for 3 days.

Life is still good.

Did any NV caches get published this weekend? :D

Edit to add:

Life is still good.

*gasp* You... you're STILL ALIVE??? I mean... er... Hi, Moose Mob! Don't touch the bow!

The OP's puzzle cache is in OReviewer's territory (another of the five reviewers sharing duties in the Keystone State). I am sure that OReviewer will be along in due course to have a look at it. Thanks for your patience.

Why so many for such a small state? :)

I suspect there is a little more to do with a geocache review than simply pushing the button like at that other site. :)
I suspect you might be correct. That why I'm watching this thread really closely. :unsure:

Likewise....I suspect there may be more to the Listing itself and perhaps that is why there is a delay :D

Someone needs to go wake him from his evening nap! <_<

I'm just now returning to the keyboard after driving home from the burial service for an immediate family member last weekend. Still, I published 14 caches so far today, 19 yesterday, 12 on Saturday and 29 on Friday. There has not been a single day thus far in 2010 when I have not published a cache.

Sorry about the loss. I do hope you realize I was kidding.

Why so many for such a small state? :)

I will answer your off-topic question, keeping in mind that to a Texan, pretty much any other state is "small"!

Pennsylvania is in the top ten among the United States for both absolute number of caches and cache density.

The five reviewers covering Pennsylvania also review cache submissions in several neighboring states. All told, we cover a territory that includes 44,240 active geocaches. That number grows by hundreds each week.

I suspect there is a little more to do with a geocache review than simply pushing the button like at that other site. :)
I suspect you might be correct. That why I'm watching this thread really closely. :unsure:

Likewise....I suspect there may be more to the Listing itself and perhaps that is why there is a delay :D

Someone needs to go wake him from his evening nap! <_<

Sorry about the loss. I do hope you realize I was kidding.

Indeed, sorry for the loss keystone.

I am sure you realize that most of us forum junkies have the utmost respect for you.

Be well and take some time to mourn.

Cache submitters can wait.

Or carry on if it keeps your mind busy.

As an update, the OP's multi-stage mystery/puzzle cache has now been reviewed and the reviewer is awaiting a response to the two guideline issues noted.

In general, a complex cache with multiple listing guideline issues may take longer to review than, for example, a traditional cache placed with permission in a park that has no other caches. Sometimes the reviewer will skip over the time-consuming reviews so that more caches can be published faster, returning later to the complex caches once the others have been cleared from the queue.

As an update, the OP's multi-stage mystery/puzzle cache has now been reviewed and the reviewer is awaiting a response to the two guideline issues noted.

In general, a complex cache with multiple listing guideline issues may take longer to review than, for example, a traditional cache placed with permission in a park that has no other caches. Sometimes the reviewer will skip over the time-consuming reviews so that more caches can be published faster, returning later to the complex caches once the others have been cleared from the queue.

I figured there was a good reason. I was also poking fun at the OP for being impatient, not at you or OReviewer.

I realize that with the personal loss in the family that the jokes may have been taken the wrong way. I do apologize if you took it that way.

We generally await word from you because we know you'll give us the "other side" of the story.

Again, I apologize if you took anything I said to heart. I was in no way serious.

I figured there was a good reason. I was also poking fun at the OP for being impatient, not at you or OReviewer.

I realize that with the personal loss in the family that the jokes may have been taken the wrong way. I do apologize if you took it that way.

We generally await word from you because we know you'll give us the "other side" of the story.

Again, I apologize if you took anything I said to heart. I was in no way serious.

What GeoBain said.. now I feel pretty guilty.

There should be some kind of one word post that every one can post when some one yet again asks a question that has been asked a thousand times already.

It would be funny to see the usual crowd posting the same silly word as a one word response and the OP getting real confused.

Either that or every one should take turns answering them so we don't all get sick of answering the same questions. :)