Logging multiple caches

I hate "cut & paste" logs as much as the next guy especially when reading them in the field trying to gleen some clue to help in the search. But I just got back from a weekend long caching blitz with some friends and have several hundred caches to log. A great majority were all placed by the same hider and the cachers were identical to one another. The trip is over and now it's time to log them all.

So, is there a way to log them all quickly rather than one at a time or at least with minimum key strokes because anything I say about one will apply to all the rest. And I don't want to just say TFTC like more and more people seem to do these days. I guess with my question I'm being just as lazy.

Signed "anonymous" :D

If I have a whole bunch to log at once, I'll make part of my log cut and paste, for example, "I was out this weekend on a blitz with my friends, and this was one of 7000 caches I found on my trip, thanks so much"

and then if there was something significant about that particular cache I would add that, but if not, I'd just keep the nice thoughtful cut and paste log.

There's only so much you can do as one person trying to log a lot of caches, I think most would understand.

Thank God there is no way to do mass logging!!

I would rather that logs say something about the cache and area that I so carefully picked out for you to discover. If I owned a bunch of the caches you found - I really don't need to read the same story cut and pasted into 50 logs.......

I'm definitely not a cut and paste logger myself, but if the person has several hundred to post, how can they possibly give a big long thoughtful post to each one? I agree with you StarBrand, but what is your suggestion to them on how to log them?

As always, I'm not being snarky, I do really want to know what you would do, since it is probably better than the suggestion that I gave, since mine did involve some amount of cutting and pasting.

*edited for spelling.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I don't mind cut and paste IF the finder puts in the log what the deal is. Cut and paste "tftc" and I'm PO'd. Cut and paste "My crew went out on a power run and had a blast find 2,357 caches last night!" and it's a different story - especially if any thing memorable is added to applicable cache logs. After all, you can't go on a power run without SOMETHING interesting happening!

I'm definitely not a cut and paste logger myself, but if the person has several hundred to post, how can they possibly give a big long thoughtful post to each one? I agree with you StarBrand, but what is your suggestion to them on how to log them?

As always, I'm not being snarky, I do really want to know what you would do, since it is probably better than the suggestion that I gave, since mine did involve some amount of cutting and pasting.

*edited for spelling.

It doesn't have to be long or even terribly thoughtful but there is a big difference between:

"One of 237 finds over the 3 day weekend with some friends - we enjoyed each one of them" -- -- times 40

and

"Interesting rocks and marker here, cool to see a logbook still in use from 2003 - this was one of 237 finds over the 3 day weekend with some friends"

"We liked the view of the river from this pullout - this was one of 237 finds over the 3 day weekend with some friends"

etc etc

Edited by StarBrand

*edited for spelling.

It doesn't have to be long or even terribly thoughtful but there is a big difference between:

"One of 237 finds over the 3 day weekend with some friends - we enjoyed each one of them" -- -- times 40

and

"Interesting rocks and marker here, cool to see a logbook still in use from 2003 - this was one of 237 finds over the 3 day weekend with some friends"

"We liked the view of the river from this pullout - this was one of 237 finds over the 3 day weekend with some friends"

etc etc

True true, thanks for your thoughtful answer. :D

If I have a whole bunch to log at once, I'll make part of my log cut and paste, for example, "I was out this weekend on a blitz with my friends, and this was one of 7000 caches I found on my trip, thanks so much"

and then if there was something significant about that particular cache I would add that, but if not, I'd just keep the nice thoughtful cut and paste log.

There's only so much you can do as one person trying to log a lot of caches, I think most would understand.

What I understand is that a very high percentage of COs probably dislike cut-n-paste logs. Those that like to read cache logs almost certainly dislike cut-n-paste logs, yet those that want to find a gazillion caches caches in a short period of time justify doing it because it takes a lot of time to write something distinctive for each cache. In other words, there one acceptable practice for logging most caches, and other if you're doing a power run. I think the practice of posting cut-n-paste logs is selfish.

Depends on the caches too. When you've done 67 guard rail caches along the same road, it's hard to think of something unique to say about each one.

When I do a bunch in one day I've learned to make notes to help myself remember which was which, but I'm just not into doing more than I can write logs for.

While I didn't formally cut and paste I ended up writing very similar things for some of the caches I found not long ago. I just couldn't find a darn creative thing to write about them as they were just quick little deals that I chose to show someone what caching was all about basically.

I love to read creative logs by other cachers but I find, at least where I am, that if the cache isn't that memorable or special most people will cut and paste. The more memorable it is the more creative the logs get. For me if they weren't particularly memorable and kind of generic I don't write a whole lot on them. I'll little details here and there but that's about it.

Otherwise if I can't log them all at once I scatter them out over a few days logging wise.

I hate "cut & paste" logs as much as the next guy especially when reading them in the field trying to gleen some clue to help in the search. But I just got back from a weekend long caching blitz with some friends and have several hundred caches to log. A great majority were all placed by the same hider and the cachers were identical to one another. The trip is over and now it's time to log them all.

So, is there a way to log them all quickly rather than one at a time or at least with minimum key strokes because anything I say about one will apply to all the rest. And I don't want to just say TFTC like more and more people seem to do these days. I guess with my question I'm being just as lazy.

Signed "anonymous" :)

Make little notes about each cache throughout the day. Logging is part of caching, if you don't like it then don't log them.

Unfortunety I do a lot of cut and Paste logs since most times I go out with a buddy we are grabbing 50+ caches, and trying to remember each one is nearly impossible, however at the bottom of my Cut & Paste log I will add a little something if it was a memorable cache, here is one of my typical Cut and Paste logs.....

Rayvan43 and I decided to make a run at the Columbia River Gorge caches on the Oregon side today, we really did enjoy the weather a break from the constant rain we have had in Vancouver for the past week or so. Found lots of fun caches, a big thanks to all the cache owners for their hides. We will be re-visiting the area soon as there are many UN-found caches that we need to find. Thanks again for all the hides.....

WELOVED THE CAMO ON THIS CACHE, AND THE HIKING TRAIL WAS BEAUTIFUL.

Scubasonic AKA "SS" on those small logs........

Scubasonic

Depends on the caches too. When you've done 67 guard rail caches along the same road, it's hard to think of something unique to say about each one.

When I do a bunch in one day I've learned to make notes to help myself remember which was which, but I'm just not into doing more than I can write logs for.

Nah, it's very easy to come up with unique things to say about almost all caches. Guardrail types for example,, something like

"One of 67 finds over the three day weekend with some friends. Spotted a beautiful red pickup truck speeding by as i was signing the log,,, Thanks for bringing me here!" :)

There have been many times when we've found a number of caches in a short period of time. Most of which ended up being ordinary run of the mill guardrail or lpc caches. For the most part, i dislike cutting and pasting but i don't have a problem doing it when i have a bunch of these types to log. (especially when the cache description itself was copied and pasted)

Edited by Mudfrog

67 guard rail caches is akin to a cut and paste....

CO cut and paste 67 caches... it is only right to cut and paste the log for them.

My rule: Never find more caches than you're willing to log.

The most caches I've ever found over a weekend is just about 30 (including 6 EarthCaches). I didn't have internet access while I was camping, so I couldn't log them day by day. When I got home, it took me 5 hours to write all the logs, but I managed to do it.

Unfortunety I do a lot of cut and Paste logs since most times I go out with a buddy we are grabbing 50+ caches, and trying to remember each one is nearly impossible, .......

How sad. I try to avoid caches that I would not remember individually.

I agree.

Even this weekend at the mega event I sat and wrote up notes in the evening and at lunch on saturday so I didn't forget. First off, I log caches in the order I found them...had to keep track of that, then I make short notes on what the hike and the cache was like, who I was with (the group kept changing... :) )

If I'm out on a driving caching run, I take a minute after each cache to 'log it' in my notes. Of course I'm used to doing the same thing after sales calls so I guess it's second nature to me.

It's not just cache owners who are disheartened by the exact same cut-and-paste logs showing up after a cache run. I read the logs to find out the interesting tidbits so I can make the decision whether or not to search for caches.

"out on a caching run and this was one of the 350 we found" isn't very interesting to read. :)

Reading a cut-and-pasted log for a cache I know was interesting or at a fantastic location is usually surprising. What? You didn't notice that waterfall? Or see any wildlife? You didn't find the historical plaque interesting? Huh.

But....everyone is different. And hopefully the other cache finders will have the time to post logs that are more informative and relevant.

Veteran of the TOTG here: ( only did a paltry 300+ )

Each log was a separate and distinct effort granted not all were wordy, however, the memorable caches got in depth comments.

Cut and paste is fine and I have no beef with them. I do have a beef with " Lame Logs " to me TFTC is just a slap in the face to the cache owner ... I owe that opinion to a cache I worked in the Buffalo / Cheektowaga area a number of years back.

Each log was a separate and distinct effort granted not all were wordy, however, the memorable caches got in depth comments.

Cut and paste is fine and I have no beef with them. I do have a beef with " Lame Logs " to me TFTC is just a slap in the face to the cache owner ... I owe that opinion to a cache I worked in the Buffalo / Cheektowaga area a number of years back.

I agree, lame logs are the worst, I would never delete a TFTC log, but in my opinion it's worse than a thoughtfully written cut and paste.

Around here there are a couple of newbie cachers who log with question marks, or all they write is "bam" or "mintzzz" which drives me nuts. But what are ya gonna do?

Unfortunety I do a lot of cut and Paste logs since most times I go out with a buddy we are grabbing 50+ caches, and trying to remember each one is nearly impossible, .......

How sad. I try to avoid caches that I would not remember individually.

Presumably he's having fun hunting for those caches, even if they're not memorable. I don't see anything sad about that.

I don't really like when someone posts a 'cut and paste' log on a cache that I've hidden.

I'd rather they add something to let me know how they felt about MY hidden cache.

However.....I've also found 566 caches in one day, and don't really remember very many of them.

So I try to write a note to myself on the ones that stand out as really good, or really bad....and then add a note to my 'cut and paste' log, on those.

OK. So there is no easy way to do it. That was my original question. I'll just continue to log them one at a time with some individual attention as I have for the past 3200+. The really memorable ones do indeed get more attention.

Going after 1100 or so later this month over a long weekend. Nothing to be sad about there. They will no doubt all be just a blur by the time I get back home. And no doubt my logs will reflect that. But anyone putting out that many should expect it (but that's for a different thread discussion).

Happy caching y'all! :)

Edited by fsafranek

I don't cut and paste logs, but was tempted once, ended up placing the caches on an ignore list instead. It was in Southern Calif on a visit to my daughter's. They have since been archived. A series of 12 caches, all on guard rails, the map showed them all on the NE corner of the overpasses, all writeups were IDENTICAL cut and pastes other than the series number - dumb cache #2, dumb cache #3, etc. The hints were even the same - "camo'ed film can on the second post". Then the CO had the guts to write this as the last line on each - "Cut and paste logs will be deleted. If you can't write something nice about the cache, don't find it."

That makes a lot of sense to me. What I wouldn't want to see happen is that for someone that spends a day power caching to start treating every cache the same. If 280 of those caches are pretty much the same it would be understandable to write a long that was pretty much the same for all of them. However, for those caches where the CO spent a little more time to make them memorable they deserve an appropriately distinctive log.

Yeah do the 1/2 copy and paste method...

Copy "{Y} of {X} caches found while on 30mile bike ride"

Then add something to the log, if i have one or remember it. Generally IF something happed i remember :) Like cutting myself up, or having a security guard roll around...

A few random thoughts.

It takes less time to log a cache than to find a cache.

I liked the bit about not finding more than you are willing to log.

I don't understand the desire to find a boatload of caches you can't remember instead of a handful that make you want to write long logs. Don't take that as condemnation of such an approach. It's just a simple statement of fact.

Some caches don't deserve more than TFTC, some not even that much. I try to avoid those I won't enjoy but sometimes one slips through. Oh well.

Signed "anonymous" :lol:

Make little notes about each cache throughout the day. Logging is part of caching, if you don't like it then don't log them.

I went a step further, If a series of caches is devoid of any "wow factor," I'll skip them completely, and only hunt caches worthy of a nice long log.