Little question about TB

Corta

Hi, i'm pretty new at geocaching and never retreive a TB from a cache yet. I found a TB hotel near my place and i was wandering if i should take one of them and make it travel a bit. But do I really need to replace it by another TB or can i just take it? I don't want to make mistakes here... that's why i'm asking you all.

PS I'm planning to go do some geocaching at about 200km from my place next weekend so i figured it wasn't a bad idea to bring a TB with me...

Thanks!

Hi, i'm pretty new at geocaching and never retreive a TB from a cache yet. I found a TB hotel near my place and i was wandering if i should take one of them and make it travel a bit. But do I really need to replace it by another TB or can i just take it? I don't want to make mistakes here... that's why i'm asking you all.

PS I'm planning to go do some geocaching at about 200km from my place next weekend so i figured it wasn't a bad idea to bring a TB with me...

Thanks!

You don't have to trade TB's, you can move them anytime. Go for it!

they're called travel bugs for a reason. to travel,

Exactly.

... and the curteous thing to do is to trade one you have for the one in the cache. if you want your own to keep then order one from the site.

No, The courteous thing to do is to move along any and all trackable items that you find if you know you can help them their way, following any mission they may have. As Andronicus has said, you are not required to make any trade for any trackable, not even for another trackable. Trackables belong to their owners and cache owners do not have the right to slow down their wanderings by placing trading restrictions on their movements. If any cache description says something like, "Please trade one for one for trackables in my cache" feel free to ignore it.

MrsB :)

they're called travel bugs for a reason. to travel, and the curteous thing to do is to trade one you have for the one in the cache. if you want your own to keep then order one from the site.

I hear and realize what it is that you are saying here, but "trade" is not a word that should be used while addressing travelers. There is no requirement or necessity to trade whatsoever when moving a Travel Bug or geocoin. I fail to see where "courtesy" enters the picture when one thinks they should "trade" travelers.

Yes, some cache owners attempt to dictate such regarding their 'hotels' and the like, but the travelers are not theirs to place any requirements on.

The real "courtesy" involved in moving travelers is to move them as far and as often as you can in assisting with their mission. Courtesy should be extended to the traveler, not a contrived restriction placed upon its' movement.

Sure, it's nice to find a TB or 'coin that you can help along (not all cachers move them, for various reasons -- some won't even log a "discovery"), but to apply the word "trade" places a restriction upon the movement of one or another.

I am not at all saying that if you happen along a cache that is loaded with travelers that you should take them all. Not at all. You should check to see if you can aid them in their mission first. If you can't, leave it for someone who can. It makes little sense to latch onto a plethora travelers just because you are planning a trip next month or so. If the trip is this or next week, then yes -- only if you can help them though.

The first criteria that should apply to travelers is whether or not you can help it to it's goal, not "trading" for it or other types of restrictions. Utilizing a word such as trade or trading for travelers is confusing to newcomers in geocaching, and should be avoided.