E.T. Highway Power Trail

So now that I'm back from the trail, here's my opinion on it and power trails in general.

I'm not even entirely sure how to describe the feeling except that it was VERY different than how I normally cache. I thought it was going to be easy and mindless... but it was HARD work.

Thanks for the report. Both you and Humboldt flier posted about how hard it was to do the trail. Let's put this in perspective. From another thread, I read that Humboldt flier found a bit over 500 caches in a couple of days. By contract, it took me about 23 months to find the my 500 most recent finds, and I suspect a considerably greater amount of effort, difficulty in finding the caches, long hikes, kayak trips, trudging through knee deep snow, and bumps and bruises acquired during the past 23 months than in the two days on the power trail. The fact, that 500 finds were crammed into two days (I don't know how many actual hours) was what made it hard. If you done the power trail but only tried to find 100 caches would you still have considered it *hard*?

Does anyone else besides me find it kind of odd that in this thread, very few of those that have done the trail have provided any specifics on the number of finds, kinds of containers, how many hours searching, etc? For the previous threads on the Denver area PT, and the TotG, there were lots of "we set a new record with NNN finds in NN hours" claims, yet those details are almost non-existent in this thread.

So now that I'm back from the trail, here's my opinion on it and power trails in general.

I'm not even entirely sure how to describe the feeling except that it was VERY different than how I normally cache. I thought it was going to be easy and mindless... but it was HARD work.

Thanks for the report. Both you and Humboldt flier posted about how hard it was to do the trail. Let's put this in perspective. From another thread, I read that Humboldt flier found a bit over 500 caches in a couple of days. By contract, it took me about 23 months to find the my 500 most recent finds, and I suspect a considerably greater amount of effort, difficulty in finding the caches, long hikes, kayak trips, trudging through knee deep snow, and bumps and bruises acquired during the past 23 months than in the two days on the power trail. The fact, that 500 finds were crammed into two days (I don't know how many actual hours) was what made it hard. If you done the power trail but only tried to find 100 caches would you still have considered it *hard*?

Does anyone else besides me find it kind of odd that in this thread, very few of those that have done the trail have provided any specifics on the number of finds, kinds of containers, how many hours searching, etc? For the previous threads on the Denver area PT, and the TotG, there were lots of "we set a new record with NNN finds in NN hours" claims, yet those details are almost non-existent in this thread.

Yes, I have noticed that too.

It probably isn't in their contract. That, or perhaps that we are starting too see groups of cachers doing power trails who fully understand and appreciate the fact that there are no found 'records' and God willing, there never will be.

They probably find it to be a bunch of fun. I think that I would also.

Does anyone know who holds the 'Most in One Hour' record? Six hours? 12, 18? How about 'Most in One day...driving a Buick'?

Envy, a powerful and sad emotion.

I think that there are many different kinds of effort.

For example, when I first started caching, walking further than one block was an extremely painful and difficult process. I put in a ton of effort walking through parks to make my first finds. Each time I could walk further was a huge accomplishment.

Nowadays, I make long hikes and trips through difficult terrain while caching, and I find caching easier than I did when I first started because my body is in better shape, and it's easier for me to find higher terrain caches. But I still put in a lot of effort in finding.

The power trail took effort that included organizational effort, jumping in and out of a car is not as easy as it sounds over and over again. We spent a lot of money on gas. Also, many of the power trail caches included walking at least 60 feet from the car to get to; so 60 feet times 300-ish caches is still walking 3 and a half miles in 100+ degree weather.

Also, 51 of those caches included a 7+ mile hike through the desert at night which I can tell you, I was very tired afterward. It took a lot of physical effort on my part. I may be getting healthier, but I still weigh 250+ pounds. My husband is in average physical shape, and the other two members of our party although both in pretty good shape were both over 60 in age. Some people might do a hike like that for breakfast, but I tell you what, it was very challenging (and fun) for us.

I think it took us about 16 hours to do the 400-ish caches on the power trail, but HF has all the time records. I wasn't paying that much attention...

So you may not consider that to be effort, and that's okay, we're all different, but to us... we found it to be a challenge for sure.

As for records... obviously we are not into the records; I could care less. I can't speak for Humboldt Flier, but for me personally, it wasn't about the amount of finds at all. I wanted to try the power trail experience just to see what the hub-bub was all about. I wanted to spend some time near Area 51 and see the legends in real life. I mean heck, we didn't even finish half the trail.

To be honest, I'd be curious to know the opinions of those who went against cache owner's wishes and drove the 51 cache alien head hike (we saw your jeep trails), and I'd love to know the opinions of those who did finish the trail, and the record setters to see what their motivations are.

Hope that answers your question :(

A little perspective from the younger old guy:

I know my postings chap some hides, however, I do so to inform and provide cautionary information.

The desert is unforgiving:

The low humidity takes a toll.

The altitude takes a toll.

The plants and critters in the desert can exact a toll.

For coastal flat-landers who live in the fog, ( where anything above 62* is a heatwave ) the heat, altitude and low humidity were brutal. By the way what on earth is that big yellow thing in the sky that comes up in the east and just hangs out before finally disappearing in the west? It sure makes you squint when you look at it whatever it is.

For folks coming from higher altitude environments the area around Rachel might represent no problem.

I am reminded of a situation at Philmont Scout Ranch a few years ago. Our sister crew was from Leadville Colorado and they were scooting along the trails in what they identified as " thick air " while we coastal flat landers were struggling to get what little air had been left behind by those energizer bunnies from the high country

Everything is relative I suppose

I see some very creative methods of caching being used out here.

It looks like NO ONE hiked the series.

We didn't get to do the event with everyone else. We will probably wait for the weather to cool down a bit before we make the effort to try the trail....um...I mean road.

It looks like everyone had a great time out there. For those who never had a reason to powercache, it may have been too much like work. To those who never go out in the desert, it may have been a wonderful visit to the Nevada deserts.

Where are those pictures? What good is a story without pictures?

You don't mean the Head Alien series do you? Cuz yes, we hiked it... and our bodies paid for it too. That was TOUGH.

As for the power trail itself... heck no. It was WAY too hot outside for us. I may be getting healthier but in no way am I blessed with perfect health. I'm not sure that even when it's cooler I would be able to do anything but drive, at least for a lot of it.

We didn't get to do the event with everyone else. We will probably wait for the weather to cool down a bit before we make the effort to try the trail....um...I mean road.

Good call! It might be nice to go back in the fall to finish it. :laughing:

My pictures are up on my facebook, but I suppose I could post some of them here when I have a little more time.

It looks like everyone had a great time out there. For those who never had a reason to powercache, it may have been too much like work. To those who never go out in the desert, it may have been a wonderful visit to the Nevada deserts.

This............I love.

Rewards and there are many.

I suppose my most rewarding cache find in the past two years did not involve a physical cache at all. Rather, it involved locating a benchmark. Daaaaaang, no logbook and it did not count in my stats!!

This benchmark was located on the 11th day of a 68 mile backpacking trip at an elevation of 9,003 ft. MSL atop " The Tooth Of Time " At the outset I and two other adults were dealing with a rather green crew but by the 11th day the group had undergone some miraculous changes and had evolved from a bunch of timid boys to self assured confident young men.

What a wonderful " payday " it was most rewarding ... ( lump in throat )

What does this have to do with a power trail? Nothing really, but the most recent power trail has given me a different kind of " payday " even though I completed frightfully little of it.

The Tooth Of Time is chewing on me. ( if you know the song and have been - you will understand ) Similarly that gosh darned E.T. Trail is also chewing on me.

The sights, the sounds, the friendships, the good times, the memories ... all multifactorial elements in this thing we call life.

GEO HUGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZ to all

Edited by humboldt flier

With regards to hiking the E.T. Trail the 98.49 miles between Crystal Springs and Warm Springs would get you caches 1 - 900 plus the opportunity to garner the few which are along the general path but not in the E.T. Trail count. Additionally there would be the 51 caches comprising the alien head series.

Then there is the matter of xxxxx miles westerly toward Tonopah along the Grand Army Of The Republic Highway to garner caches 901 - 1022

That would be a journey ... not impossible ... especially given the fact that there is someone currently treking from Bad Water in Death Valley to the top of Mount Whitney and back!!!!! YIKES

Edited by humboldt flier

The Tooth Of Time is chewing on me. ( if you know the song and have been - you will understand ) Similarly that gosh darned E.T. Trail is also chewing on me.

The sights, the sounds, the friendships, the good times, the memories ... all multifactorial elements in this thing we call life.

GEO HUGGGGZZZZZZZZZZZ to all

Silver on the sage,

Starlit skies above...

Yes, I understand (lump in throat).

Or bring a sticker:

9bfd9ca8-e465-40a9-be22-c4802e737e0d.jpg

I guess if vandalism is committed by enough people, (including, it seems, at least one geocacher), it must be OK. :laughing::cry::laughing:

That just does not seem to me to be correct.

Have you ever visited NYC/NE Joisey?

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of subway cars there. From my personal observation, there's one heckofalot of 'em that carry significant graffiti.

I doubt that the tax payers there think that this is "ok".

Maybe there is a parallel universe where anything that exists, must by definition be, "ok".

People that I know, do not live in that particular universe. They do however seem to have other things of significance that they assign to their ration of 'worry time'.

Must be a slow 'news' day. :):P:D:laughing::anibad:B);):laughing::):anibad:

I guess if vandalism is committed by enough people, (including, it seems, at least one geocacher), it must be OK. :cry::anibad::anibad:

I just took a picture. Don't know about the others but it does seem to be a tradition of sorts.

I personally did not add to the collage, but I did take a picture as well. It sort of just seems to fit in with the local culture around there...

Okay... here's some of my pictures.

2vis587.jpg

Humboldt Flier, Patsu and I at the sign

5k1qpv.jpg

Humboldt Flier, Patsu and my husband at the infamous mailbox

23p1t4.jpg

Another view of the same mailbox

2vc6l3n.jpg

An interesting stop on the way; Reiffs Gas station

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I guess if vandalism is committed by enough people, (including, it seems, at least one geocacher), it must be OK. :cry::anibad::anibad:

I did not see the Geo sticker on it until I looked at the photo again. I must have been paying more attention to what was overhead.

Edited by mulvaney

I just took a picture. Don't know about the others but it does seem to be a tradition of sorts.

I personally did not add to the collage, but I did take a picture as well. It sort of just seems to fit in with the local culture around there...

Okay... here's some of my pictures.

2vis587.jpg

Humboldt Flier, Patsu and I at the sign

5k1qpv.jpg

Humboldt Flier, Patsu and my husband at the infamous mailbox

23p1t4.jpg

Another view of the same mailbox

2vc6l3n.jpg

An interesting stop on the way; Reiffs Gas station

Great pics, thanks. We has just gots to make it over that way one of these days.

You guys might possibly have made a BIG mistake in not blacking out your faces. The Nevada Sticker Patrol is gonna get yas!! :laughing::laughing::)

Edited by Team Cotati

Certainly don't understand the need to leave one's mark.

Damaged petroglyphs throughout the southwest, writings on rock walls along the Oregon Trail, names chiseled into rock faces in Yosemite Valley and in places along the Niagara Escarpment are but some that I have seen.

Who knows, perhaps the petroglyphs above Walker Lake ( cache there ) were the deeds of some rowdy souls eons ago.

I side with Clan Riffster on this one

Reiff's Gas Station is not a fuel stop.

It is a residence done over by a gentleman who hosts a geocache on the property. ( GCKGRZ )

The 1950's gas station / diner is located in Woodland, California west of I-5 and south of Main St.

We visited while outbound to the E.T. Trail. Mark, the owner, was there and he opened up the balance of the property for us to Oooooh and Ahhhhhhh over.

Well worth the visit.

Certainly don't understand the need to leave one's mark.

Damaged petroglyphs throughout the southwest, writings on rock walls along the Oregon Trail, names chiseled into rock faces in Yosemite Valley and in places along the Niagara Escarpment are but some that I have seen.

Who knows, perhaps the petroglyphs above Walker Lake ( cache there ) were the deeds of some rowdy souls eons ago.

I side with Clan Riffster on this one

And I as well... it was not us who put up the sticker. My husband and I both are strict opponents of vandalism, whatever form it may take. While we did note the decorated sign as a part of the atmosphere in that area, we will never add to something like that ourselves.

Ohhhhhhhh,

The mailbox ... because the ranchers mailbox kept getting rifled through and shot up by vandals he replaced it with a sturdier version. Then he added one ( the smaller one ) for the alien community.

They are constructed out of 3/16 to 1/4 inch plate steel!! Orrrrrr perhaps from materials from a recovered spacecraft.

Obviously they collect graffiti as well ...

Speaking of the need to leave your mark, Rachel's other claim to fame over the years:

1f5dd05f-3801-4ad3-b958-b6034c34c24d.jpg

'The Colonel' was from 'Out There'? I was always just a bit suspicious of that guy. I mean, that little wussy mustache and making people lick their fingers all the time. Strange stuff, other-worldly even.

And now he has turned his little self into a cinder block? Yeah well you can tell 'The Colonel that he ain't fooling me for one little second.

Colonel = kernel? Just more proof in my book. The man was just weird, too weird.

So what?

BFD

Etc.

Yes.

The Colonel explains something about a few of the caches in the area - most people doing the ET highway will see the Chicken caches. Along with lunch at the Inn, they helped revive me so that I did a few more repetitions before heading out.

And I think it adds (added) to Rachel's mystique. I had forgotten about it and had to wait until we had left the area before seeing the Colonel. I wish I had remembered it before visiting the Inn - I would have asked Pat about it. And the Colonel is yet another thing (besides Alien heads) that can be seen from the satellite imaging. It is something I would want to know about before caching on the Highway.

And it was another example of how people have left their mark on the area.

But if something does not interest me, I usually ignore it or write something that interests me, rather than say BFD.

Edited by mulvaney