E.T. Highway Power Trail

Whtwolfden, Why did you not submit the ET caches under your account cache page? It looks like a fake account was created for just this series. Interesting :D

Can't speak for whtwolfden, but considering the number of emails that would be generated by people logging thsi power trail, it would make sense to me to create a new account, with a different email address, and funnel all those emails to a new account.

Just speculating, this probably isn't why...

Today is "Hug a Blue Bow" day!

That's exactly right Sioneva!

We created a seperate email account and have also filtered out Find log notifications knowing and expecting cut and paste logs. We only get DNF, Notes, Maintenance, etc. logs that will let us know when something is wrong so we can correct it. This keeps us from having an endlessly bloated inbox.

We took as much as possible into consideration before going out and placing them.

It's rather mind boggling as to how many negative people there are out there.

No, Power Trails are not for every one. But that's why we included the Scuba attribute. Just ignore Scuba if you run a query for that area and these caches will not be in your search. No need to bash the caches or those who love doing them.

Personally, I consider myself a well-rounded cacher who enjoys all aspects of the game and I don't put down anyone who plays it differently than I do.

It's unfortunate that small minded people can't live and let live. No one bashes people for only loving puzzle caches or for hating earth caches. So what's the difference here?

The fact is, people are out there and having a blast. We know because we are getting emails and phone calls telling us so. We are in no way forcing anyone to go power caching. Those who enjoy it are doing it. Those who don't, aren't.

THE END!

To everyone who goes out there, we hope you have a great time and hope to meet lots of you at one of the three events this weekend.

Seems like you thought it out. Did you think of a way to warn the locals that their in boxes were about to get hammered with new cache notifications?

Seems like you thought it out. Did you think of a way to warn the locals that their in boxes were about to get hammered with new cache notifications?

The majority of the existing caches out there belong to one cacher. He has known about our plan and has even worked to accommodate us at times and we thank him for helping us out. Others have found out along the way. So, yes! :D

Edited by whtwolfden

The majority of the existing caches out there belong to one cacher. He has known about our plan and has even worked to accommodate us at times and we thank him for helping us out. Others have found out along the way. So, yes! :D

Thanks for all your efforts, I'm looking forward to making this my first power trail experience. My husband is more excited about getting an alien burger, but I think we'll have a lot of fun :lol:

Thanks for all your efforts, I'm looking forward to making this my first power trail experience. My husband is more excited about getting an alien burger, but I think we'll have a lot of fun :lol:

Get a Double Alien Burger... they are good.

I've had my share of them after 2 months of cache hiding. ;)

Look forward to meeting you both!

Did anyone get caught unaware? Nothing personal and nothing against power trails but it would purely suck to get 1000 of these notices in my email. Perhaps a cache type for power trail caches? That way we could exclude those from our new cache notices.

Did anyone get caught unaware? Nothing personal and nothing against power trails but it would purely suck to get 1000 of these notices in my email. Perhaps a cache type for power trail caches? That way we could exclude those from our new cache notices.

As I said before. We have included the Scuba attribute to all the caches so you can run a query either for the Scuba attribute, (which will only turn up the E.T. caches for you) OR to ignore all caches with the Scuba attribute (which will ignore all the E.T. caches and give you all the others in the area).

We really are trying to make it easy for everyone. :lol:

As I said before. We have included the Scuba attribute to all the caches so you can run a query either for the Scuba attribute, (which will only turn up the E.T. caches for you) OR to ignore all caches with the Scuba attribute (which will ignore all the E.T. caches and give you all the others in the area).

We really are trying to make it easy for everyone. :D

Well, that wouldn't help for email. But anyway...

what sort of containers did you use? Is there any variety in types and/or sizes or style of hides?

Can't speak for whtwolfden, but considering the number of emails that would be generated by people logging thsi power trail, it would make sense to me to create a new account, with a different email address, and funnel all those emails to a new account.

Someone mark this down in the history books! I was actually right about something non-political!

67600.jpg

We really are trying to make it easy for everyone. :lol:

Yup. I caught that. Great thinking. The Lilly Pad aught to consider adding a PT attribute. The scuba dodge wont work everywhere.

My question now is more about the notices for new cache listings. It sounds like your group has done what they could to accommodate everyone. It would take action on the part of GS but a way to avoid sending out 1000 emails with the release of a power trail. It would limit the load on the email servers and save users the headache of getting 1000 new cache listings all at once. Perhaps they could set it up so that a power trails caches, when released at the same time, would generate only one notice. Just thinking here. Any thoughts?

No need to bash the caches or those who love doing them.

Has their been any serious bashing? Really? If I point out that the folks who placed that thing appeared to have such a low degree of creativity that they actually copy/pasted the cache page, a thousand times, would that be an observation, or would that be bashing? Assuming that it is bashing, (in the eyes of the overly sensitive types), should my statements be terminated? So long as it doesn't violate forum guidelines or the terms of use, should one person's beliefs be allowed to censor another person's belief? For argument's sake, let's say I find such a gargantuan act of repetition so incredibly tedious as to defy description, should I be allowed to express that opinion? Or should I be silenced? If I honestly believed that you and your cohorts took lame to a whole new level, on an order of magnitude never seen before, should I be allowed to post that thought? Or should I be silenced? That certainly seems to be what you are proposing.

It's unfortunate that small minded people can't live and let live.

It's really unfortunate that small minded people can't deal with folks expressing their opinion on an open forum.

No one bashes people for only loving puzzle caches or for hating earth caches. So what's the difference here?

Actually, folks get bashed in here for all kinds of reasons, including puzzle loving, puzzle hating, earthcache loving, earthcache hating, P&G loving and P&G hating, to name a few topics. It's an Internet forum. That's what happens on the Internet. So long as the bashing remains relatively civil, without resorting to insult hurling, (such as calling those who express their opinions "small minded"), things tend to work themselves out.

No need to bash the caches or those who love doing them.

Has their been any serious bashing? Really? If I point out that the folks who placed that thing appeared to have such a low degree of creativity that they actually copy/pasted the cache page, a thousand times, would that be an observation, or would that be bashing? Assuming that it is bashing, (in the eyes of the overly sensitive types), should my statements be terminated? So long as it doesn't violate forum guidelines or the terms of use, should one person's beliefs be allowed to censor another person's belief? For argument's sake, let's say I find such a gargantuan act of repetition so incredibly tedious as to defy description, should I be allowed to express that opinion? Or should I be silenced? If I honestly believed that you and your cohorts took lame to a whole new level, on an order of magnitude never seen before, should I be allowed to post that thought? Or should I be silenced? That certainly seems to be what you are proposing.

It's unfortunate that small minded people can't live and let live.

It's really unfortunate that small minded people can't deal with folks expressing their opinion on an open forum.

No one bashes people for only loving puzzle caches or for hating earth caches. So what's the difference here?

Actually, folks get bashed in here for all kinds of reasons, including puzzle loving, puzzle hating, earthcache loving, earthcache hating, P&G loving and P&G hating, to name a few topics. It's an Internet forum. That's what happens on the Internet. So long as the bashing remains relatively civil, without resorting to insult hurling, (such as calling those who express their opinions "small minded"), things tend to work themselves out.

I find it interesting that you automatically assume I was referring to you.

Hmmm, have you been an issue to others in the past, or in other forums?

Oh well, I'm over this.

Cache on and have fun! :D

I find it interesting that you automatically assume I was referring to you.

Actually, I didn't. My ego isn't that large. I was speaking in general terms.

Funny that you should think otherwise though. Feeling defensive? Second thoughts, perhaps?

I noticed you didn't address any of my questions. Perhaps my expectations were too high?

Get a Double Alien Burger... they are good.

I've had my share of them after 2 months of cache hiding. :lol:

Look forward to meeting you both!

We will have to do that! Unfortunately we won't be able to make the drive to the events, but we will be coming down after GeoWoodstock to give this run a go :D

Whtwolfden, Why did you not submit the ET caches under your account cache page? It looks like a fake account was created for just this series. Interesting :blink:

We created a seperate email account and have also filtered out Find log notifications knowing and expecting cut and paste logs. We only get DNF, Notes, Maintenance, etc. logs that will let us know when something is wrong so we can correct it. This keeps us from having an endlessly bloated inbox.

We took as much as possible into consideration before going out and placing them.

It's rather mind boggling as to how many negative people there are out there.

No, Power Trails are not for every one. But that's why we included the Scuba attribute. Just ignore Scuba if you run a query for that area and these caches will not be in your search. No need to bash the caches or those who love doing them.

Personally, I consider myself a well-rounded cacher who enjoys all aspects of the game and I don't put down anyone who plays it differently than I do.

It's unfortunate that small minded people can't live and let live. No one bashes people for only loving puzzle caches or for hating earth caches. So what's the difference here?

The fact is, people are out there and having a blast. We know because we are getting emails and phone calls telling us so. We are in no way forcing anyone to go power caching. Those who enjoy it are doing it. Those who don't, aren't.

THE END!

To everyone who goes out there, we hope you have a great time and hope to meet lots of you at one of the three events this weekend.

Well, I just got my 2nd ever power trail notification in the inbox (on a small scale, about 50 of them). Perhaps Gof did too, as he only lives a few miles from me. ;) This is indeed a pain in the butt, I couldn't imagine hundreds of them coming in. In my case, these are all smalls in the woods. Woohoo, I'm there (someday).

An Illinois cacher posted completion of the E.T. run earlier to-day! 1,000 of them. No specifics have filtered out as yet.
I'm guessing that would be Fuzzy B I see that my friends Bobcam and Fish2007 are out there right now.

Yes, but how many in 24 hours? We need a new record, you know. :)

17 June - 130

16 June - 285

15 June - 304

14 June - 302

These are approximate. I just quickly counted using 20xnumber of pages. Some pages appear to have only 19 logs, so these may be incorrect, but close.

I'm still curious, especially if I can go with a group. Why? I'm a don't knock it till you've tried it kind of gal, and I like to try everything in caching once.

I also love the idea of a multi-state cache run with friends, that sounds like a blast!! (Especially if BBQ is involved).

Very reasonable. I know we tried for a couple of numbers runs back before they opened up these power trails. One time we went to Erie, PA. Every one said how great the caching was. "Get your numbers up with some really great caches." they said. After an hour we were thinking every one was off their meds. Nano on stop sign. Nano on speed limit sign. Nano on no parking sign. LPC after LPC. A few guardrails tossed in. Yawn. Chasing mile after mile of cut-n-paste caches sounds the same, but worse.

Now this fly in and hit a few states with a group of friends sounds much more interesting. I am intrigued. It may be a great way to meet some of the degenerates I've come to know and love through these forums.

You must have filtered out all the good ones - there are some pretty cool ones in my hometown, and maybe 10-20% at most fall into the categories you listed.

Well, I just got my 2nd ever power trail notification in the inbox (on a small scale, about 50 of them). Perhaps Gof did too, as he only lives a few miles from me. :) This is indeed a pain in the butt, I couldn't imagine hundreds of them coming in. .

I actually think it would be funny to see a thousand e-mails for new caches flood in.

But then I don't have any difficulty deleting a lot of e-mails with a few keystrokes so I may not experience the pain of others.

I'm still curious, especially if I can go with a group. Why? I'm a don't knock it till you've tried it kind of gal, and I like to try everything in caching once.

I also love the idea of a multi-state cache run with friends, that sounds like a blast!! (Especially if BBQ is involved).

Very reasonable. I know we tried for a couple of numbers runs back before they opened up these power trails. One time we went to Erie, PA. Every one said how great the caching was. "Get your numbers up with some really great caches." they said. After an hour we were thinking every one was off their meds. Nano on stop sign. Nano on speed limit sign. Nano on no parking sign. LPC after LPC. A few guardrails tossed in. Yawn. Chasing mile after mile of cut-n-paste caches sounds the same, but worse.

Now this fly in and hit a few states with a group of friends sounds much more interesting. I am intrigued. It may be a great way to meet some of the degenerates I've come to know and love through these forums.

You must have filtered out all the good ones - there are some pretty cool ones in my hometown, and maybe 10-20% at most fall into the categories you listed.

We did not filter on that trip. Of the double handful of caches we found 1 was in any way memorable. I will say that the only DNFs we had were the ones we drove on by without stopping. Will not get out of the car if the GPS points to a spot within 50 feet of a dumpster.

The trip wasn't a total bust. We shifted strategies and headed over to the island. Enjoyed that very much.

Numbers starting to roll in ... just saw 721 in an 18 1/2 hour day. Zounds!

I guess I don't understand why people are all atwitter over this. I take at least several thousand steps every day; I write several thousand words every day. Why is signing your name over 700 times in a day so worthy of comment and approbation? I mean, it's not like finding the caches is a challenge or anything. It requires roughly the same mental agility as walking and chewing gum at the same time. So why all the excitement?

Before anybody calls me a hater: I don't have anything against those who find monotony and repetition relaxing; those who do these caches are welcome to do so. It's the breathless admiration that I cannot understand.

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's all try to stay away from the "oh, how boring" chatter on this thread, just to see what happens. Just this once. As an experiment. We all know that some of us/some of you find the idea of this to be boring. I would probably find it boring as well, but I'm still interested in seeing what these hard-core diehards can do.

Edited by knowschad

I guess I don't understand why people are all atwitter over this. I take at least several thousand steps every day; I write several thousand words every day. Why is signing your name over 700 times in a day so worthy of comment and approbation? I mean, it's not like finding the caches is a challenge or anything. It requires roughly the same mental agility as walking and chewing gum at the same time. So why all the excitement?

Before anybody calls me a hater: I don't have anything against those who find monotony and repetition relaxing; those who do these caches are welcome to do so. It's the breathless admiration that I cannot understand.

I think the people that admire these kinds of things are the same people that admire food eating competitors.

I mean, I like a hotdog now and then but I have no interest in eating as many as I can in a limited time.

It's a freakshow kinda thing.

I think the people that admire these kinds of things are the same people that admire food eating competitors.

I mean, I like a hotdog now and then but I have no interest in eating as many as I can in a limited time.

It's a freakshow kinda thing.

Hmm. I wouldn't go so far as labeling it a freak show. But that's some funny stuff there. ;)

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's all try to stay away from the "oh, how boring" chatter on this thread, just to see what happens. Just this once. As an experiment. We all know that some of us/some of you find the idea of this to be boring. I would probably find it boring as well, but I'm still interested in seeing what these hard-core diehards can do.

oh, how boring.

Still massaging data (and body), but it looks like we (3 of us) did 818 in 14 hours. I KNOW there are others that did all 1000 in that same time.

So all 1,000 can be done in under 24 hours? Dadgum, that kid from Philadelphia with 9 finds talking smack about breaking the 24 hour world record for finding caches is going to be pissed. ;)

O.K. seems like some folks are bothered by numbers how about these

GC253ZN from the trail

GC1YYKM from N.E. Calif

Yeah, so what's your point? People have been making making pictures on maps with cache placements for years. Hey, this Bobcam guy has 20,000 finds in well under 3 years. If I was Team Alamogul, I'd start to be getting worried. Yes, I have no point either. ;)

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's all try to stay away from the "oh, how boring" chatter on this thread, just to see what happens

Sorry, but I don't do "oh, how boring." My question had to do with the breathless lionization of those who undertake this trail. You, of course, would know that if you had bothered to take a few precious seconds to, you know, read my post. But that would be boring, wouldn't it?

Hey, I've got an idea! Let's all try to stay away from the "oh, how boring" chatter on this thread, just to see what happens

Sorry, but I don't do "oh, how boring." My question had to do with the breathless lionization of those who undertake this trail.

My impression is that the numbers cachers will fall all over themselves clapping each other on the back with each new World Record. The rest of us don't care. If you want to do something impressive, go set a "World Record" the old fashioned way...finding random caches by setting up a route...not having the route set up for you with stop and go caches every 529 feet.

Sorry, but I don't do "oh, how boring." My question had to do with the breathless lionization of those who undertake this trail.

My impression is that the numbers cachers will fall all over themselves clapping each other on the back with each new World Record. The rest of us don't care. If you want to do something impressive, go set a "World Record" the old fashioned way...finding random caches by setting up a route...not having the route set up for you with stop and go caches every 529 feet.

Well put sir.

529 feet apart? Dang.... we were hoping for 528 !

Congratulations to those who have the strength and endurance to make a 24 hour run ! ;)

Now where are the pictures? I heard there were many varied types of animal encounters out there.

We would love to see some wild horses, or possibly a badger.

I think a "power cache hider" should create a new series with nothing but flat fiberglass poles. As the big "power cachers" approach each sign, all they would have to do is stick their hand out the window, and hold their signature sticker. When they approach the sign, the impact will force the sticker label to affix itself to the pole. 500 finds per hour is quite possible. :)

They won't even need to unbuckle their seat belt, or let go of their super size "happy meal." ;)

I did this one over several days because I usually cache alone. It was tedious and tiring....and absolutely worth the time if you like numbers and senseless if you don't care. It was well-planned and the owners did a spectacular job of making this a memorable experience. I can't imagine doing the maintenance on these caches and if you are the enabling type take a bunch of film canisters and logs to keep it up and running for the next guy. Clay and Gus have put their names on the "map" with this series and took care of so many details that most folks won't recognize.

I hate admitting that the numbers are important but no one impressed by the numbers can afford to ignore this monster.

Do the west end at night if you going to go 24 hours and try to set a record.

Sorry, but I don't do "oh, how boring." My question had to do with the breathless lionization of those who undertake this trail. You, of course, would know that if you had bothered to take a few precious seconds to, you know, read my post. But that would be boring, wouldn't it?

I read it. And I just re-read it. Got the same thing out of it both times.
... snip ...

Now where are the pictures? I heard there were many varied types of animal encounters out there.

We saw a group of three young badgers and two small herds of Antelope (one of 5 critters, the other of 6).

... snip ...

We saw a group of three young badgers and two small herds of Antelope (one of 5 critters, the other of 6).

I'd love to see a video. My mind boggles when trying to visualize finding so many in so little time (well, "finding" may be a poor choice of words here, but you get my drift).
... snip ...

Hmmn? Nice, but I wonder how many more critters you would see if your geomobile wasn't screaming away from and skid up to cache after cache.

... snip ...

Seeing those antelope must have been cool, but you really didn't need those steenkin' badgers, did you? :laughing: