Language Barriers

Vanya1

Learn to speak spanish :D

or Translate via Bable fish or google translator and print out the english version.

I have to say Wales is looking daunting for our hols ;)

... and how many cache pages have you found that are only in Welsh? :)

You can usually get the general idea of the cache description using Babelfish, or Promt or other similar sites. They're also useful for trying to understand logs on TBs which are wandering through foreign lands.

BTW, for Welsh translations you could try consulting the Eclectic Penguin site. ;)

MrsB

I haven't cached much on holidays but have tended to select a few easy trads in advance and translate them before I go. I don't think I have done anything other than straightforward trads when abroad.

Definitely prepare a few caches in advance but don't just stick with trads :)

We've done Trads, Multis, Puzzles, Earthcaches, Virtuals and a Wherigo in Holland/Germany

It's great when you see you're the only Brits ever to have done them <_<

Back in 2008 we chose the massive Multi Coevorden for our 1000th find and it took a vast amount of preparation. Great fun though! :D

We've off to Belgium later in the year and in a pq of the closest 500 caches there are only 150 trads!

I've already cracked a few puzzles in preparation...

Mark

Learn to speak spanish :)

or Translate via Bable fish or google translator and print out the english version.

I have to say Wales is looking daunting for our hols :D

... and how many cache pages have you found that are only in Welsh? :ph34r:

You can usually get the general idea of the cache description using Babelfish, or Promt or other similar sites. They're also useful for trying to understand logs on TBs which are wandering through foreign lands.

BTW, for Welsh translations you could try consulting the Eclectic Penguin site. :unsure:

MrsB

Oh Mrs B

I followed the linky thinking it might come in handy but the penguin is in english.

How will i cope in the far off foreign land with out being able to communicate with the locals <_<

But i am looking forward to a week of caching in them Black mountains :huh:

All points seems to have stalled, hopefully it will get going again soon :blink:

No translations on our cache pages, not even to Welsh, but I sometimes try and add TB mission statements in other languages if I know that they're going to be wandering in foreign places and I want them to try and do something specific. Translation sites like Babelfish seem to do simple words and phrases OK so I try and add basic instructions... e.g.

"Europe's Old Retainers" TB

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges
Many foreign caches have bi- or multi-lingual translations on the cache page itself.

How many UK hiders have been that considerate? (not me, that's for sure). :)

Which languages would you put? You'd need 6 or 7 to cover 50% of the possible foreign visitors. Lot of work for 2 or 3 finds a year.

It's much more cost-effective to spend your time on getting the English description right. People coming to the UK to go caching typically understand enough English to read a cache listing - provided it's written in reasonably clear English with a minimum of slang and some attention paid to grammar and spelling. And as a bonus, native English speakers usually prefer that too, innit.

Edited by sTeamTraen

I haven't cached much on holidays but have tended to select a few easy trads in advance and translate them before I go. I don't think I have done anything other than straightforward trads when abroad.

Definitely prepare a few caches in advance but don't just stick with trads :D

We've done Trads, Multis, Puzzles, Earthcaches, Virtuals and a Wherigo in Holland/Germany

It's great when you see you're the only Brits ever to have done them :unsure:

Back in 2008 we chose the massive Multi Coevorden for our 1000th find and it took a vast amount of preparation. Great fun though! <_<

We've off to Belgium later in the year and in a pq of the closest 500 caches there are only 150 trads!

I've already cracked a few puzzles in preparation...

I appreciate what you are saying but with a non-caching wife and two young kids it's usually a time-limit and one or two trads tends to be my lot when on hols :)

It's much more cost-effective to spend your time on getting the English description right. People coming to the UK to go caching typically understand enough English to read a cache listing - provided it's written in reasonably clear English with a minimum of slang and some attention paid to grammar and spelling. And as a bonus, native English speakers usually prefer that too, innit.

THIS IS SO TRUE!!

The standard of English on many caches is absolutely appalling!!

There's a cacher not too far from us who can't even spell 'cache' correctly :)

Mark

Having found quite a few foreign-language caches, I can confirm that a Google translate beforehand normally gives the gist of the instructions well enough. Failing that, do your own translation of the hint using a dictionary.

Of course, being English, we all took French at school so French caches aren't a problem. :laughing:

The other option, if you're lazy, is to e-mail sTeamTraen with a list of caches to translate and then sit back and wait for the results. He seems to know most European languages and I'm sure he can fit in a few hundred translations every day. :)

Many caches in foreign locales do have English instructions.

It would be nice if there was a way to filter them so only ones with English information show up.

'Tis being looked into by Groundspeak... (Or not!)

There is talk on the Groundspeak.com side of the forums, for some form of translation* on cache pages, with the ability to show which is your preferred language.

* The translation, I believe, is done by the cache owner, with separate sections for each language.

No translations on our cache pages, not even to Welsh,

Doesn't the 1993 Welsh Language Act mean that by law you have to have your cache listings (for caches in Wales) in Welsh as well as English? :laughing:

Shush!

You're opening up a whole can of abwydod!

MrsB :)

From what I remember, it only actually applies in law to the Public Sector (even though others would disagree)?

Nothing wrong with abwydod either!

No translations on our cache pages, not even to Welsh,

Doesn't the 1993 Welsh Language Act mean that by law you have to have your cache listings (for caches in Wales) in Welsh as well as English? :laughing:

Shush!

You're opening up a whole can of abwydod!

MrsB :laughing:

I serached for the can on google and this is what i found:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/surfr/134274504/

I did not know the welsh were so cruel as to put them in cans :laughing: we only bake them in pies :)

I mainly look for traditionals when abroad, and translate the pages using google. Though I do look at puzzles and multis in advance, if they look do-able then I'll consider them. Sometimes I've found even with a well translated page, with a multi/puzzle I get stuck as I don't quite understand the translation. For example, recently in Germany, a couple of stages asked for the "cross sum". It turned out to be what I would call a checksum; the sum of the digits. Often my foreign caching is combined with business trips, and I've asked muggle colleagues in that county to help with some puzzles.

The other option, if you're lazy, is to e-mail sTeamTraen with a list of caches to translate and then sit back and wait for the results. He seems to know most European languages and I'm sure he can fit in a few hundred translations every day. :lol:

Yep, as long as you don't mind the hint always being "My hovercraft is full of eels".

I'd agree that online translation sites should do a good enough job to get the gist of what the cache page says.

Earthcaches I believe have to have the page in English as well as the local language, so searching for Earthcaches might be an idea too.

I'd agree that online translation sites should do a good enough job to get the gist of what the cache page says.

Earthcaches I believe have to have the page in English as well as the local language, so searching for Earthcaches might be an idea too.

Another way to do it depending on how good your mobile phone skills are... Google up free download able translators for your phone some Nokia phones have a good one for some languages french and Spanish come to mind.

Presently I am experimenting with an Arabic one..

You can either down load cache notes and cut and paste or type in the key words from your Cache Notes.

Local Sim cards are not normally that expensive and some pay as you go data tariffs are cheaper than calling. Here I can use skype (audio) unlimited for less than £7 a month. Yet phone calls still 10 pence per minute...

If your that keen you can find cheap language translators to... Either individual or for computer...

Just ideas but that have dug me out of trouble in the past, and got me into some as well. Over reliance on such things can be a very bad thing :) particularly when alcohol induced confidence is involved...

I've found them to be very variable - sometimes it translates as complete nonsense. Also multis can be a problem when abroad - I did a 5 mile TerraCache multi near Nuremberg and didn't find it. One of the questions asked for how many items, and I wrote down "one", but in retrospect I think maybe it was saying "one pair".

That said I've found a fair number when abroad.

Rgds, Andy

I did an Earth cache once where you had to get answers from some descriptive text on a notice board. The text was in French and I didn't know enough French to translate it on the spot. So I took a photo of the board to decode it at home. I found an online OCR reader, so submitted my photo, and back came the text. I then put that text into the Google translator and out came the English. Isn't technology wonderful?

Try caching in Switzerland. I have done quite a few there that are given in English, French and German though those in German are sometimes in Swiss-German which bears no resemblance to anything I was taught and Babel-fish throws a wobbly. Have had to resort to the lady who runs the camp site and she had problems with some parts! I would however recommend this cache GCJPNR as the incentive to find the cache is well worth it. :o Otherwise I have trusted to luck and gone for traditional caches and hoped I didn't need the hint.

Sue