has geocaching brought you together?

there was a topic a while back about geocaching causing divorce, but im curious if geocaching has either found you a new significant other, or if by incorporating geocaching into your life and your spouses life, you two have bonded even more so, with an activity you can now both enjoy.

has it brought you closer to your kids?

And that topic was preceded by a how you met your spouse thread. I am really not picking on you ashnikes but you really should look at older threads before posting.

Sometimes it's good to be a lurker and read.

Ever heard or read the saying "it's better to keep ones mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt".

I don't expect you to search the archives but at least read the thread a few days back.

You do know that you don't get paid per post right?

Sometimes... when you think the world is against you... maybe you are against the world....

well....

thats true,

but there are only 12 pages of threads, so either this forum is very new, or people post too much on old threads,

the problem with bumping some old threads is in some forums it alerts people who have requested email alerts when topics they are watching get posted in, it can be very annoying when a n00b posts in an old topic,

plus most topics get way off topic after a few posts anyway, thats the nature of the beast of internet forums, so why not just start a new topic in the subject matter...

Sometimes... when you think the world is against you... maybe you are against the world....

Nor does Groundspeak charge per thread. The OP had a question, and it took you more energy to chastise than to answer the question or, better yet, just keep yer mouth shut. ;) It seems to me these forums are for old hats to play around in, chastising "noobs" at every chance. If people would be more helpful, even for topics such as this one that don't necessarily address how to play the game, maybe new people visiting the forums would be more apt to hang around and learn this is a family/friend oriented game.

I see people coming to our local organization forums to ask questions that they tried to ask on gc.com only to be ran out on a rail.

So you get tired of posting the same answer again and again... Don't post it. Somebody willing to be helpful will. Oh no, you had to read yet another post that had already been answered 2 weeks ago? If you spend enough time on these forums that you know all the questions that have been asked and when, AND have the time to pen a hurtful reply, your time wasn't so valuable that you couldn't read it again before just moving on to the next post.

[/rant]

... WHEW!. :D

edit to answer: geocaching will lead to divorce in my house before it leads to bonding! A house divided, blah blah blah... ;)

Edited by Pork King

I don't get why everyone rips on ashnikes? Seems as valid a topic as any around here.

Anyway ~ since I've never answered this particular question, I'll bite.

My husband and I don't have a lot of shared activities. But geocaching is something we discovered about 6 yrs into our marriage, and it's been nice to have something we do together. Both of the kids (17 and 5) enjoy it too.

So to answer the question, yes! It's brought us closer together. :D

Nor does Groundspeak charge per thread. The OP had a question, and it took you more energy to chastise than to answer the question or, better yet, just keep yer mouth shut. ;) It seems to me these forums are for old hats to play around in, chastising "noobs" at every chance. If people would be more helpful, even for topics such as this one that don't necessarily address how to play the game, maybe new people visiting the forums would be more apt to hang around and learn this is a family/friend oriented game.

I see people coming to our local organization forums to ask questions that they tried to ask on gc.com only to be ran out on a rail.

So you get tired of posting the same answer again and again... Don't post it. Somebody willing to be helpful will. Oh no, you had to read yet another post that had already been answered 2 weeks ago? If you spend enough time on these forums that you know all the questions that have been asked and when, AND have the time to pen a hurtful reply, your time wasn't so valuable that you couldn't read it again before just moving on to the next post.

[/rant]

... WHEW!. :D

edit to answer: geocaching will lead to divorce in my house before it leads to bonding! A house divided, blah blah blah... ;)

Did you just tell me to keep my to keep my mouth shut?

Completely off topic, but am I the only one who saw a weird alien like elephant strutting towards the left the first time you saw this avatar?

1b80df9f-b7b0-4ae1-b95a-986e569ea894.jpg

Looks to me like a pig with a snail on its head. ;)

Edit to add a smilie so he will know that we're just having fun. :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

there was a topic a while back about geocaching causing divorce, but im curious if geocaching has either found you a new significant other, or if by incorporating geocaching into your life and your spouses life, you two have bonded even more so, with an activity you can now both enjoy.

has it brought you closer to your kids?

Nope.

Well, one of my sons has gone geocachign with me a couple of times but I don't know if it brought us closer together.

Now if there is a significant other that I can get by geocaching, I can only say "what's taking so long?".

:D

well....

thats true,

but there are only 12 pages of threads, so either this forum is very new, or people post too much on old threads,

;)

Scroll down to the bottom, change the settings from "30 days" to "All"....I think you will find there's a few more than just 12 pages of threads.

:D

Edited by Pup Patrol

My husband and I met at a really bad dance club 8 years ago, got married 6 years ago and have only been caching for four years, so we didn't meet because of caching, but I'd say it's brought us closer together. It's another hobby that we both love (although I'm more addicted than he is).

Was the club bad, or was the dancing bad? :D

I can think of at least 3 geowedding events that have been discussed in the forums. I'm also aware of several 'will you marry me' caches that have been placed over the years. Most of those people don't bother posting in the forums, I guess they are too busy doing other married people stuff.

Edited by wimseyguy

Its always much better to punish a dog for bad behaviour, rather than to slap them about just because you don't like them. Do you want them to behave, or crap all over the place? :D

I dont see anything trollish in the OP. However, several of the replies are OT.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Geocaching has brought our family together in many ways. We are not the couch potato's that we were this time last year. The kids absolutley love going on treasure hunts and seeing how many smilies that we can log in one day. The hubby and I take off and hike with the dogs every chance we get. To be honest with you I hate the city that we live in. But caching has helped us see the city beneath the city. The parks and special places that we would have never found. There are wonderful hidden tunnels and gardens all about. Special places that my hubby and I share together.

Hey I like these threads, keep it coming! Certainly better than the 800 threads bashing the Facebook Like button, LOL. :)

It's pretty stupid but I'm a romantic at heart, and I always hope I might meet a kindred spirit at a cache, even if the odds for that happening are around the same as me growing a tail.

Just to be even more sappy, on a related note I have two active TBs going right now, which is part of a split heart chain. Their goal is to eventually find their way back to each other again. I released the second half of the heart TB on Valentine's Day at Central Park.

Yep, I am ridiculously sappy. :laughing: Even worse, I'm hoping to find one of the hearts and that the other will wind up in the hands of the girl of my dreams.

Seriously, I should be a script writer for Hollywood. I could churn out scripts for B-type chick flicks like nobody's business.