G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T. 2011

avroair

Just to give you all an overview what Cologne/Köln, Germany is all about.

Here you can get info the info from Cologne:

Cologne Tourist Information

We have worked out a brilliant weekend for everybody, even those who just want to visit and explore our lovely city in culture, history and leisureness.

One probably brilliant event locaction can be looked up here:

This is a site only in german, but has brilliant pictures from the locaction inside.

Just klick onto the little pictures on the left.

pictures from event location

The main event page is here:

location homepage

Voting was for US & I'nat location.

Does this mean there will be 2 events next year? I would push for one event instead. Just so that people don't have to choose and therefore split the attendance.

Yep, that's what it means and what was said all along. Don't know if they will occur at exactly the same time.

Does this mean there will be 2 events next year? I would push for one event instead. Just so that people don't have to choose and therefore split the attendance.

Yep, that's what it means and what was said all along. Don't know if they will occur at exactly the same time.

Same time or not, people are going to choose one or the other.

Just curious...are there really that many people that will be traveling abroad for the event? I know it is a mega and well attended but I would not think that attendence is going to be greatly effected by having one state side and one abroad. But hey I could be wrong it has happened before <_<

As a vendor I can tell you that I would most likely chose one and if I can figure it out, it will be the International one and not the US. Seeing as we only have a hand full of vendors in the US and at Geocoinfest, if others are like myself then vendor turnout and committment will be lower at these events.

A I said "Just curious!"

Just curious...

1. What location submitted bids?

Portland

Charlotte

Portugal

Germany

2. Can we see any presentations from the locations?

Probably not. Why would you want to?

I think that after the voting that the groups that sent in their presentations would be proud to have them seen.

Edited by Freekacher

We have worked out a brilliant weekend for everybody, even those who just want to visit and explore our lovely city in culture, history and leisureness.

This is a site only in german, but has brilliant pictures from the locaction inside.

location homepage

I'd love to see GCF 2011 in Cologne! A chance for us European coin addicts to attend! <_<

Cologne would be quite central for Coiner not only from Germany, but as well from the neighbouring countries as Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and England.

There are many German Coiners, who never get the chance to visit GCF in the states, so this would be a brilliant chance for us to meet with vendors and collectors.

location homepage

I'd love to see GCF 2011 in Cologne! A chance for us European coin addicts to attend! <_<

Cologne would be quite central for Coiner not only from Germany, but as well from the neighbouring countries as Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and England.

There are many German Coiners, who never get the chance to visit GCF in the states, so this would be a brilliant chance for us to meet with vendors and collectors.

Thank you very much for your words and your vote.

Let us all cross fingers.

I am really excited to see who will make it.

location homepage

Thank you very much for your words and your vote.

Let us all cross fingers.

I am really excited to see who will make it.

Just so folks know, and this thread does not become flooded by "votes", voting was completed by the GCF voting committee (comprised of former GCF organizers)

Just curious...are there really that many people that will be traveling abroad for the event? I know it is a mega and well attended but I would not think that attendence is going to be greatly effected by having one state side and one abroad. But hey I could be wrong it has happened before <_<

We only had a handful of Europeans attend GCF-Pittsburgh. There are plenty our European coin vendors, so they should not have a problem getting vendors to participate.

Keep in mind that, unless you already have a passport, traveling to an international event can become a pricey venture...esp. if you travel with your family. Yeh, there are probably some US folks that will travel to a European event, but there will still be plenty that do not.

I don't really see it as a problem having the 2 events. It will give the international vendors a easier opportunity to participate. I suppose some of the US vendors may want to venture over the big pond, but I cannot imagine all of them would.

I don't really see it as a problem having the 2 events. It will give the international vendors a easier opportunity to participate. I suppose some of the US vendors may want to venture over the big pond, but I cannot imagine all of them would.

I don't either. The European vendors have never participated in a US GCF as a sponsor. So they are all fair game for an event over there. Plus, it will be VERY expensive for a US vendor to participate overseas anyway. So most probably would not, IMO.

I don't either. The European vendors have never participated in a US GCF as a sponsor. So they are all fair game for an event over there. Plus, it will be VERY expensive for a US vendor to participate overseas anyway. So most probably would not, IMO.

I would love to head to Europe for GCF as an attendee <_< Can't say I'd want to lug all my stuff over the big pond as a vendor however, another option for the little guy and one I'd consider is teaming up with a Eurpean vendor if they'd be game for it and lugging 1 or 2 special coins to have sold or sell with them as a co-vendor. I admit, I'd skip the US event because I probably couldn't afford to do both unless it was within a day's driving distance which pretty much rules out anyplace in the US for me, lol. Can't wait to hear who the winners are :P

tsun

I would love to head to Europe for GCF as an attendee :) Can't say I'd want to lug all my stuff over the big pond as a vendor however, another option for the little guy and one I'd consider is teaming up with a Eurpean vendor if they'd be game for it and lugging 1 or 2 special coins to have sold or sell with them as a co-vendor.

My only chance to get one of your coins would be you attending a European GCF....

I never had the fortune to be at the computer at the right time to buy your coins, even though I think your designs are always very special!

Plus, it will be VERY expensive for a US vendor to participate overseas anyway. So most probably would not, IMO.

I am not sure why it would be VERY expensive... it's a flight, a hotel and a car... the same as it is if you travel over here. Coins can be shipped or carried, you would just not take everything... where I would see a possible snag is the VAT = Value Added Tax, I am not sure what European laws apply or if US vendors are tax-exempt (like US buyers are).

Well, the votes have been tabulated for both the US 2011 GCF and Euro GCF 2011. Thank you to all who participated.

:) See ya in the twin cities in a week! :mellow:

Plus, it will be VERY expensive for a US vendor to participate overseas anyway. So most probably would not, IMO.

I am not sure why it would be VERY expensive... it's a flight, a hotel and a car... the same as it is if you travel over here. Coins can be shipped or carried, you would just not take everything... where I would see a possible snag is the VAT = Value Added Tax, I am not sure what European laws apply or if US vendors are tax-exempt (like US buyers are).

Sure it is. You have to pay duty on what is taken into the country and there may be limitations as to how much can be brought in and also taken back out. Even if you ship it, there goes your profit.

~A first hand account from my 2010 Mega Scotland shipments.

I shipped product from Canada to the UK and then shipped the product back that didn't sell. Based on the declared value (marked shipment low) I was charged VAT, brokerage fees and other handling fees totaling about $400 going over and nothing when it came back. I used Canada Post which then transfers cartage to Royal Mail and the reverse to send them back. Shipping was additional.

I shipped product from Canada to the UK and then shipped the product back that didn't sell. Based on the declared value (marked shipment low) I was charged VAT, brokerage fees and other handling fees totaling about $400 going over and nothing when it came back. I used Canada Post which then transfers cartage to Royal Mail and the reverse to send them back. Shipping was additional.

Ouch!

Ouch!

That is what i have to say.

Thanks for sharing.

I am really looking into going to the GCF out of US so it will be nice to hear where it is and when it is.

Sounds like next weekend plans can be made after the announcement at GCF. ;)

Ouch!

Ouch indeed !

I have several geocoin sets entering Portugal and every time the price of the stuff increases 20% just for being in the customs shelf for being inspected. I can live with that, but it's hard and i think that for most overseas vendors it will be really hard to have some profit.

Partnerships are the best solution i think.

Paulo aka PLnauta

geolojapt.com

Ouch!

Ouch indeed !

I have several geocoin sets entering Portugal and every time the price of the stuff increases 20% just for being in the customs shelf for being inspected. I can live with that, but it's hard and i think that for most overseas vendors it will be really hard to have some profit.

Partnerships are the best solution i think.

Paulo aka PLnauta

geolojapt.com

Well,

I don't know how the votes for this are being done Mark. I really would like to have being capable of doing an proposal, but this thing really needs an organization that would need a great preparation.

I must say that I would be at any location that would be chosen in Europe (i've discuss that with the german team aswell). I would prefer right near my home in Lisbon of course :ph34r::huh: so if it makes any sense to the ones who would make the decision don't forget that the sun's brighter near the Atlantic ... ;):D

Make a wise decision and let us all know.

Thanks also Mark, for the invitation and for open the geocoinfest concept to Europe.

Paulo aka PLnauta

geolojapt.com

If our bid get's selected and the G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T 2011 come to Portugal we can help all the U.S. Vendor's with the geocoins.

We've been receiving plenty of Geocoins and all that stay's in portuguese custom we manage to get them without payment...

Like PLnauta said, partnerships are the best solutions... and we have the knowledge ;o)

We hope that our bid for the Lisbon - Portugal G.E.O.C.O.I.N.F.E.S.T win's...

Nuno Verissimo

GeocacherZONE Portugal

Ouch! That wasn't my experience at all.

The winners are:

North America GCF: Charlotte, NC

Geocoinfest Europe: Cologne, Germany

Question is... do the two Events take place at the same time (date)???

And thanks for choosing Cologne...

Kind regards

EntropyCoM

They're supposed to be held at different times. So I hope that ends up being the case. Because I'd like to try to go to both.

Monday morning having breakfast and couldn`t resist looking up the decission.

Wow, boys & girls, thank you for your votes and the possibility to give us the 1st. european chance.

My congrats go to Charlotte and I am looking forward talking out the dates for the US-GCF2011 and EU-GCF2011. We should be able to give people the opportunity to attend both.

Maybe someone of your team can contact me for further steps.

Coin Enthusiacs the Cologne-GCF-Team is very happy about your votes and to host the 1st. European Geoccoinfest.