LOST MY OREGON!?!?!?!?

I can not even believe this!?!?! With so many things going on in my life, my best partner, my best friend has come up missing! I am so upset! I have retraced my steps and everything.... can not find it for the life of me.... In an attempt of desperation I went and purchased a Dakota 20 (was on sale for $300 with rebate) It is just not as nice as my good old Oregon.... I found another good deal on the oregon and think Im going to re pick it up again and return this Dakota 20.... any thoughts on the differences between the two, besdies the glaring one of smaller screen and smaller unit to hold in my very large hands.... Also what is the deal with the GPSmap 60csx how is it different than the oregon 450 other than the touch screen

Yodabuds

Sorry to hear of your loss :laughing: Which Oregon did you have?

The Dakota 20 is pretty much even with the abilities of the Oregons but like you said it is smaller & a smaller screen, but some find that to be an advantage lol

It's up to you, but keep the Dakota for a while & see if you warm up to it. If not, dump it for another Oregon it's pretty simple.

The 60CSx is a great GPSr but (IMO) it's old tech now, and not as capable as the Oregon/Dakota.. it can't do paperless Geocaching for example

Why anyone would buy one that isn't good when you could get an "Uber-GPS" for only $100 more is beyond me.

You might be surprised. He's in Connecticut and there's no telling what those 'tards might do. :laughing:

Glad I got the hell out of CT...Naugatuck, specifically...and finally made it home to AZ. :laughing:

Why anyone would buy one that isn't good when you could get an "Uber-GPS" for only $100 more is beyond me.

You might be surprised. He's in Connecticut and there's no telling what those 'tards might do. :laughing:

Glad I got the hell out of CT...Naugatuck, specifically...and finally made it home to AZ. :laughing:

I don't understand the sarcasm here? A $100 uber gps? Such as?

Yodabuds

Sorry to hear of your loss :D Which Oregon did you have?

The Dakota 20 is pretty much even with the abilities of the Oregons but like you said it is smaller & a smaller screen, but some find that to be an advantage lol

It's up to you, but keep the Dakota for a while & see if you warm up to it. If not, dump it for another Oregon it's pretty simple.

The 60CSx is a great GPSr but (IMO) it's old tech now, and not as capable as the Oregon/Dakota.. it can't do paperless Geocaching for example

Some would argue that despite not having paperless caching, the 60CSx is better than the newer units ;) There's a reason they still get $200+ for them after 5 years!

Garmin 60 ? Why?

Well..... I've got a bunch of gps units.

The most accurate one, and the quickest to zero out AT the cache site......is still the Garmin 60. ;)

.......although the old Garmin Legend was even better. :D

Perhaps all the software and firmware required to make those high-priced units "uber", causes them to be much slower and less accurate. ;)

I'll admit they do zero out after a bit of time, but we are usually back in the Xterra by then. :)

Perhaps all the software and firmware required to make those high-priced units "uber", causes them to be much slower and less accurate. :D

Sounds like the Nuvi syndrome that's so well known and "loved". Keep adding more and more crap while getting farther and farther away from a GOOD, core GPS unit. I've seen many people commenting on how the Street Pilots were much better as a fundamental GPS unit than most all of the Nuvis. Having a 2720 and a few Nuvis...I tend to agree somewhat... :)

This is more what I meant by Uber GPS. Designed for use on the water, but it should work well for Geocaching.

I'd buy another Oregon long before the 62 or 78 series - once you've used 240 x 400 pixels, you can't go down to 160 x 240 pixels. Too bad, though, I thought for sure I'd buy a 62 eventually but not once I found out the resolution.

Also, the 62/78 series don't have a 3D map view, or wireless transfer.

The Oregon's Uber in my books. Especially the 550.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide