What /are/ these things?

I keep coming across caches that seem to be hidden in those grey pillars with the holes on the upper portion that lurk here and there in the city. I'm curious about what the pillars are for (ventilation of something?) but I'd really like to know if caches can be placed inside and how to get to them if they are. The pillars don't seem to open or unscrew.

I don't think they're lights -- at least I've never seen one glowing. They're round grey pillars about a foot in diameter and two or three feet tall, and they have holes ranged around the upper part (though not on the top itself). If I could find a picture of one online I'd post it, but not knowing what they're called has been hampering a Google images search. Something of a Catch-22.

DON'T mess with them! They are Kryllion listening stations. If the Kryllions find out that we have discovered their monitor posts and know that they are listening they will change their monitoring methods to something we don't know about. At least this way we can continue to feed them disinformation through the listening posts and prevent them from discovering that we are truly defenseless against them.

The best thing that you can do when close to one of these monitoring posts is to act like you don't see it while making pretend conversation along the lines of "Oh man, if those Kryllions were to ever come back here I would kick their butts" and that will keep them too scared to come back.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

DON'T mess with them! They are Kryllion listening stations. If the Kryllions find out that we have discovered their monitor posts and know that they are listening they will change their monitoring methods to something we don't know about. At least this way we can continue to feed them disinformation through the listening posts and prevent them from discovering that we are truly defenseless against them.

Kryllion? OMG! I didn't know they were KRYLLION!!

I'm staying away from those suckers now!!!

(I can't believe I was messing with the Kryllions! :laughing: )

Oh Lord, someone's in the moonshine again! :laughing:

Looks like a bad spot for a cache, whatever that thing is.

Kryllion? OMG! I didn't know they were KRYLLION!!

I'm staying away from those suckers now!!!

(I can't believe I was messing with the Kryllions! :laughing: )

Yep, avoid the suckers at all costs. Some cachers from these parts got suckered while they were on holiday - those Kryllion suckers came out through those holes, grabbed them, and hauled them back in through the holes. Witnesses said it was like watching spaghetti being made...

:laughing:

MrsB

They are vents for the underground utility vault. The newer type have plastic lids that can be removed.

I wouldn't hang a cache in there unless you can be sure it will not fall down into the vault below.

Many of our vents also have a small outlet for the water pump that keeps the fault below from flooding.

I've found several caches within these vent covers. In most cases it has been fishing line tied between two of the holes and a bison tube on the other end. In one case the cover (the newer type with a plastic cover) had a line attached to the center on the underside of the cover. You had to use a hook of some sort to grab the line and pull it to the edge to retrieve the cache.

I do like the "hole" concept!!!!

...make a magetic circle the same size and color as the holes...

What color is a hole? :laughing:

well, if the other holes surrounding it are shaded then you could go black. other than that you would need to paint it somewhat to mimic what the other holes look like. It's not rocket science. You would just have to have an imagination.

...make a magetic circle the same size and color as the holes...

What color is a hole? :laughing:

well, if the other holes surrounding it are shaded then you could go black. other than that you would need to paint it somewhat to mimic what the other holes look like. It's not rocket science. You would just have to have an imagination.

Is too rocket science! This isn't a cartoon like Road Runner where you can just paint a tunnel on the wall of a cliff and expect Wiley Coyote to run into it. We have this thing called a moveable sun, hence shadows and highlights that change throughout the day. This is not to mention the 3d vision that most of us have. I think your suggestion is a VERY fun idea, but I can't believe that it would work in real life. Nice job of thinking outside the box, though.
This isn't a cartoon like Road Runner where you can just paint a tunnel on the wall of a cliff and expect Wiley Coyote to run into it.

mural.jpg

I'm pretty sure that cache is on the right guard rail or in the sign.

There is a cache in that location. I won't say where exactly.

This isn't a cartoon like Road Runner where you can just paint a tunnel on the wall of a cliff and expect Wiley Coyote to run into it.

mural.jpg

I really can't help it but I've been chuckling over this posting by knowschad followed by the picture...since yesterday. If there is ever a GS Hall of Fame for memorable posts, this one needs to be included. :)

I don't think they're lights -- at least I've never seen one glowing. They're round grey pillars about a foot in diameter and two or three feet tall, and they have holes ranged around the upper part (though not on the top itself). If I could find a picture of one online I'd post it, but not knowing what they're called has been hampering a Google images search. Something of a Catch-22.

yes the vents! around these parts ( so cal ) often reffered to as swiss cheese hide. its easier than you think. just take your time with inspecting them. no need to dis assemble anything. then you'll have an A HA!