Creative geocaching

Jozii

I'm looking for the creative aspects of geocaching. All of them. I'm not talking containers that look like rocks, I'm talking more than that! Because geocaching is indeed a highly creative sport, mixing technology, nature and the social human interference.

Here are some ideas on what to post about in this thread:

o Different types of events or funny/creative stuff to do during them.

o Odd/creative hides (again, not containers - there are enough of those threads - but the way the containers are hidden).

o Loose ideas for hides that you have or have heard of (even if they're not doable).

o Stories about how geocaching gets your creativity going.

o Thoughts about geocaching and creativity in general.

Go on, let's inspire each other :laughing:

I'm looking for the creative aspects of geocaching. All of them. I'm not talking containers that look like rocks, I'm talking more than that! Because geocaching is indeed a highly creative sport, mixing technology, nature and the social human interference.

Here are some ideas on what to post about in this thread:

o Different types of events or funny/creative stuff to do during them.

o Odd/creative hides (again, not containers - there are enough of those threads - but the way the containers are hidden).

o Loose ideas for hides that you have or have heard of (even if they're not doable).

o Stories about how geocaching gets your creativity going.

o Thoughts about geocaching and creativity in general.

Go on, let's inspire each other :laughing:

Letterboxes

I think letterbox hybrids can be very creative, when done right - a handcarved stamp, with an image that matches the location or theme, add a handmade logbook for an extra bit of creativity. Here are examples:

3491091079_e955814413.jpg

Swag

Creative cache contents are always nice to find - handmade items for instance - I've found crocheted finger puppets, handcrafted geocaching bookmarks, handcrafted geocaching luggage tag, handcrafted bead bracelet that spells out geocaching. Today I found a little red knit hand-stitched coin purse.

Logbooks

I occasionally like to make handmade logbooks for our caches. Here's an example:

yellow-logbook-beads.gif

Hanadmade logbooks are a nice idea! Though the images doesn't show :lol:

JohnX, I'm thinking about "anything". As an example, I've recently come across caches that include YouTube-videos where you have to watch the video in order to understand the cache. One video showed where the first step in a multi-step cache was hidden.

I also read about a creative travel bug: people attending an event were asked to bring a string of yarn in a color representing geocaching to them. All that yearn resulted in a very large TB which now travels with its owner from event to event :lol:

Edited by Jozii

We just had a great time last night at a cache that was posted yesterday and I think it may have started something with our area...

FlashMob Geocaching...

The cache description stated the best time to get this cache was between the hours of 9:56pm and 10:16pm so all the local FTF fanatics were chatting about when to go and the next thing you know we had a mob show up at the cache at 9:55pm...

The cache which became a FlashMob Geocache

Infrared LEDs illuminated by a TV remote.

Invisible U.V. paint

Combining geocaching with Aviation Archeology

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/sgbo...eckhunter-1.gif

Combining geocaching with a history lesson of the area.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...18-5dccc9a0ea7e

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/sgbo...LlanoDelRio.jpg

Lasers

Braille

Rope Climbing / Tree Climbing

Just so I don't come off looking like a jerk from my original post, I have placed several caches I thought were creative. Two of them as caches themselves were very lame but if you followed the instructions in the cache listing you would see something interesting. Both cache listings informed hiders where to park, where to walk, where to stop and look and in which direction. They could see a boulder that looks like a dog and a tree that smiles. From posts and reports from the field it saddens me that people are so focused on the coordinates of the physical cache that they miss the whole point of the cache listing. But hey, they signed the log book and got their smiley.

I am currently working on a "choose your own adventure multi cache"

I have developed the story line that will go along with each stage, I have to now go out and design the routes for each choice during the adventure. I would go into it with further detail, but there is already a thread with that.

Cool, a flashmob cache :)

Using audio is another idea that I like. For example by asking people to download an audiofile you've prepared which they play in the field. That way they'd get oral instructions on which directopn to go on the spot :lol:

Don't know any example of sucha a cahce though...

Using audio is another idea that I like. For example by asking people to download an audiofile you've prepared which they play in the field. That way they'd get oral instructions on which directopn to go on the spot :lol:

file downloads aren't permitted so that wouldn't work.

Cool, a flashmob cache :P

Using audio is another idea that I like. For example by asking people to download an audiofile you've prepared which they play in the field. That way they'd get oral instructions on which directopn to go on the spot B)

Crap, thought I'd found somthing there :D

Ivanatora, I guess that's permitted as long as the cache also involves the use of coordinates in some way :D

Cool, a flashmob cache :huh:

Using audio is another idea that I like. For example by asking people to download an audiofile you've prepared which they play in the field. That way they'd get oral instructions on which directopn to go on the spot :)

Crap, thought I'd found somthing there :anicute:

Ivanatora, I guess that's permitted as long as the cache also involves the use of coordinates in some way :P

Wherigo

http://www.Wherigo.com/

I'm thinking of a mystery cache that will have a starting coordinates and a story in its description. It will be kinda fantasy fiction story (hero chased by dragons, riding on a road or something like that) that will contain description of the road to the cache. If it is liked by geocachers I may even put several caches of that type with stories connected.

What do you think of that idea?

How would you calculate the cache difficulty for such a cache?

Edited by ivanatora
I'm thinking of a mystery cache that will have a starting coordinates and a story in its description. It will be kinda fantasy fiction story (hero chased by dragons, riding on a road or something like that) that will contain description of the road to the cache. If it is liked by geocachers I may even put several caches of that type with stories connected.

Sounds to me like a good idea for a Wherigo cache.

There's one particular cache owner around us that has some really clever hides. A few of them are straightforward caches to find, but then you have to solve a puzzle to get to the log: wire puzzles, trick boxes, etc.

We found some great ones in Germany, too. There was a puzzle cache where the only way you could find it was to go to stage 1, right beside a building, at a certain time. I can't remember if a speaker would play some audio, or a monitor would come on with more information, or what. It intrigued me, but our German wasn't good enough to be able to translate on the fly, so we never went for it.

Our first night cache (sadly, now archived) was a standard follow the reflector trail cache until the penultimate stage. It took you to a wooden post, at the base of which was a micro with a laser pointer. You had to put the laser pointer in a hole in the pole, which was cut so the laser point would shine directly on the cache, about 100 yards away.

I once found a very elaborate cache with animatronic features. Moving around would activate the "ghost" whose treasure you were trying to find. There was also a bonus cache, to get the cache info, you had to find a hidden button, then an audio clip would play with the coordinates. Final was a couple miles away, and was a no kidding treasure chest.

Best multi I ever did was very creative, took you on a mile or so loop in the woods. Every stage was hidden in a different manner, and along the way you picked up clues as to how to get to the final: scrap of a map here, part of a combination there. To get to the final, you had to open a small shed, then you had to figure out that it had a false floor. Final was actually down a 10' tunnel, behind a locked door (and there were 200 keys to choose from, if you solved all the clues it was easy, if not...) Final was a chamber, had a bookshelf for book trading, table for the log, treasure chest for swag, box for trackables...very elaborate. Apparently the cache owner used an excavator and took close to a year to put it together. He used it to propose to his girlfriend at the final. (She said yes.)

I am presently working on a multi that will take the cacher through a park that is dedicated to a pacific northwest artist. There will be three micros that lead the seeker around a short loop trail and together will include coords to find the final. The micros are located near 3 nature placards along the trail and are based on what the placards describe. One is dedicated to local wild life, which I carved and painted the container to resemble, and fitted a bison tube to it. The final is a large container that includes a sketch book and different types of drawing media. My hope is that whether the cacher has any artistic aptitude or not will leave their own art on the sketch pad.

That's not lame is it?

I am presently working on a multi that will take the cacher through a park that is dedicated to a pacific northwest artist. There will be three micros that lead the seeker around a short loop trail and together will include coords to find the final. The micros are located near 3 nature placards along the trail and are based on what the placards describe. One is dedicated to local wild life, which I carved and painted the container to resemble, and fitted a bison tube to it. The final is a large container that includes a sketch book and different types of drawing media. My hope is that whether the cacher has any artistic aptitude or not will leave their own art on the sketch pad.

That's not lame is it?

It's very cool. Hopefully finders won't think that the drawing media is tradable stuff. If you're an artist perhaps you might consider creating a letterbox multi. The final box would include a stamp handcarved by you that depicts one of the PNW artist's works or maybe a handcarved stamp of a portrait of the artist. See these images for inspiration: Google: handcarved artist portrait stamp

One of our favorite caches is a traditional with a twist.

The coordinates take you to an area with a metal fence and trees. Most people will lift the post cap, but few look at the cap. If they did they'd see a note that, in effect, tells them to look up.

When they look around they eventually notice a fishing line loop leading to matchstick container up in the branches of a nearby tree. They pull on the fishing line to bring down the container. Inside there's another note stating that it isn't the cache and hinting the cache is 'lower'.

Also, in the container is a spool with fishing line on it that has a metal nut tied to the end. The cacher needs to figure out to unspool the fishing line and drop the nut down the post mentioned in the first step. In the post is another matchstick container with a rare earth magnet glued inside it. The magnet attaches the container to the nut and allows it to be reeled up.

The cache gets great comments but requires pretty regular maintenance. I had a chance to talk with the CO and he said that the extra maintenance was worth it due to all the nice logs he gets to read on the cache.

Cool, a flashmob cache :P

Using audio is another idea that I like. For example by asking people to download an audiofile you've prepared which they play in the field. That way they'd get oral instructions on which directopn to go on the spot :D

Mp3, pdf etc. are allowed!

One of my caches is a hunt through Youtube videos, most of my mysteries even have a solution-file for download from my (!) own server.

Or Look at GC2J61W : no outspoken task, no discription, no hints, just a melody.

To use external files You can use dl.dropbox.com or you direct on existing sources like those on youtube or you place a disclaimer, that says, that Groundspeak didn't and doesn't control the file and the seeker downloads on own risk (ask your reviewer for details!)

Aidt

Edited by Aidt

-_-I did some of those and they get comments like

"Hurra! Another cache of Aidt!"

"Thank You for two interesting evenings full of laughter"

and so on.

Of cause, this makes me proud and encourages me to do more.

A cache, I'm just working on, contains a formula like X+A*B...

The trick is: A is impossilble to find out, but B contains the seekers birthday. Logic must tell them, that their birthday cannot be part of a coordinate, so A must be zero.

<_< The most creative cache descriptions, that I found up to now, are from "Schaf Shaun" (GC23FNG, GC2344X, GC1ZNDY, GC2J61W)

Edited by Aidt

FlashMob Geocaching...

Flashmob Geocaching has a "tradition" in germany. In many towns there is one organized for a certain time on christmas-markets, where all the cachers must suddenly wear santaclaus' clothes and hats and beard and then on a sign they run across the market shouting "HoHoHo". These event caches are quite popular and a good advertisement for geocaching.

Maybe something like this?