Garmin 60CSX for parts

Howdy,

I dropped my 60CSX and the clear front screen has a nice star crack that covers about 70% of the area. Garmin wants $119 for a repair/exchange. The GPS works fine, just has the broken clear window (not the LCD screen).

Does anyone have a non-working 60CSX that they might be willing to part with, or a line on new clear screen parts?

Thanks

Usually the buttons are all molded on a single flexible panel (ever seen the inside of your TV remote?).

A salvage yard is a great idea. Unfortunately, there are probably more people "needing" than those "having"

I heard that a call to Garmin works better than an email, so I'll try calling next week. Their quote indicates repair or replacement with a refurbished unit. I don't like the thought of getting a replacement unit, when I know the condition of mine. Except for this single fall, it was in as-new condition & well cared-for.

Hopefully someone will chime-in.

That's an idea that I had considered. The window looks to be Polycarbonate (lexan). I've used an adhesive for lexan that is water-thin, and meant to run into the cracks. However, its nearly impossible to keep it contained only in the cracks. There's also a fairly large gouge directly at the impact point. I'm fairly convinced that my ZAGG cover kept the hit from puncturing the window completely.

I may try to remove the window and try this operation. If it doesn't work, I'll just send it in for replacement.

GPS Photo

Sorry for the link, this forum seems sort of sticky about inserting photos.

You can also replace the plastic yourself. There was a tread some time ago on doing this on the eTrex for a few dollars.

I dug around and found nothing. Do you have a link?

After several emails to Garmin, they reduced the price to $60, but won;t guarantee that I get my same unit back. Except for teh window, this GPS is in perfect condition. I hate the thought of getting one that had more damage. Not too many choices though...

You can also replace the plastic yourself. There was a tread some time ago on doing this on the eTrex for a few dollars.

I dug around and found nothing. Do you have a link?

After several emails to Garmin, they reduced the price to $60, but won;t guarantee that I get my same unit back. Except for teh window, this GPS is in perfect condition. I hate the thought of getting one that had more damage. Not too many choices though...

The images are gone now but they looked really good. The process is pretty much the same, just the tear down and the reassemble would be different.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=172724

I have a dummy 60 that has everything complete except for the electronics. I had busted my battery cover in a fall and I asked on here and someone sold me this for $10. They actually included 2 of them in the deal and I switched out the battery cover on the one and gave the other one to a friend who needed to rebuild theirs. It says 60CS on the screen but the molds are the same for all the models. Let me know if you still need anything off of this one.