No space in log = needs maintence? Or no?

GardenOfSimple

I visited a cache today that is completely out of space on both sides of the log. People are signing along the edges and space for that is getting slim, too. I don't event think there is a way someone could put a 2nd log in because it was such a challenge getting with one out of the teenie container as it is.

I mentioned Most of this in my found it log, as have several others.

Is a filled log a "needs maintence" issue?

As I came here to post this, I see that someone else just got chewed out by a cache owner for reporting a wet log. So, is it typically looked at as an insult or something to receive a NM entry??

Oh, and on the topic of logs: after signing that one, I couldn't help but wonder... What typically is done with logs that are filled up?? Do cache owners keep them?

Edit: changed "the" to "a"

Edited by GardenOfSimple

I carry waterproof supplemental/replacement logs that I leave in caches with full or wet logs. If there isn't room for another log, then a Needs Maintenance log is appropriate. (Note that Needs Maintenance is not a Find, so post both a Find and a Needs Maintenance if appropriate.)

Yes, some cache owners behave unreasonably when they get a Needs Maintenance log, or when they get a Find log that includes critical comments, or whatever. As someone around here has said: The best thing about geocaching is that anyone can play. The worst thing about geocaching is that anyone can play.

Some owners leave full logs in the cache with the new logs. Some take them home and keep them. Some throw them out or recycle them. I've even heard of one who rolled them up and made a "log cabin", and then attached a Travel Bug tag to it and sent it out.

Adding a new log to a cache is clearly a maintenance issue. Many cachers will help out with a new log when they can but it isn't always a practical thing to do. So if it is full - somebodys gotta put a new one in and the thing belongs to the cache owner so it ought to be them. The cache NEEDS maintenance.

Thanks for the answers, everyone. It does seem pretty obvious to me that it needs maintence, but I wasn't sure if the NM notes and icon were used for this circumstance in practice as it wasn't marked that way yet.

Oh, and I just re-read the first response. Waterproof logs were mentioned. What are those made of then??

Thanks for the answers, everyone. It does seem pretty obvious to me that it needs maintence, but I wasn't sure if the NM notes and icon were used for this circumstance in practice as it wasn't marked that way yet.

Oh, and I just re-read the first response. Waterproof logs were mentioned. What are those made of then??

Not sure, but I think the reference is to "write in the rain" type of notebooks. These are used by police, military, etc. who have to do paperwork in all weather. I believe it's the same paper.

Waterproof logs were mentioned. What are those made of then??

There's "Rite In The Rain", which is a "weatherproof" coated paper. The version I have is laser-printable, but a rollerball pen doesn't write on it well. And a plastic "Adventure Paper" called Teslin or Tyvex, which you can print with an inkjet, but pencil marks are very faint on that. Both stand up well in the wild, so I use scraps of either kind as emergency log sheets.

I've seen one specialized "container" that has 6 square inches of "log sheet", and that's all there is. It's in the elements, so as a signature fades away, that newly available the spot gets signed. It perpetually "needs maintenance", but there always seems to be "one more" place to sign the log. If it were my cache, I'd have to find a better way.

Edited by kunarion

Waterproof logs were mentioned. What are those made of then??

There's "Rite In The Rain", which is a "weatherproof" coated paper. The version I have is laser-printable, but a rollerball pen doesn't write on it well. And a plastic "Adventure Paper" called Teslin or Tyvex, which you can print with an inkjet, but pencil marks are very faint on that. But both stand up well in the wild, so I use scraps of either kind as emergency log sheets.

Wow never knew there was such a thing as waterproof paper!! That is pretty cool. Thanks again.

I had one that I ran into a while back that needed a new log. I just marked it as found and put in the log that I used the last space and it needed a new log. The CO archived it and is replacing the log.

Just a note of clarification since I've seen others confused about this before... If the CO intends to replace the log, it should be disabled, not archived. Disabling is for maintenance; archiving is forever (though it can be undone with the help of a reviewer if a mistake has been made).