What are we doing here?

Criminal

I voted for the first option, although I almost chose the second. I definitely have fun at this and it's nice to know I can be of assistance to the government, but I do strive for a high degree of accuracy.

If there are specific instances where I feel my accuracy is less than necessary for gov't purposes, I keep that one in the "fun" category. I know I don't have the tools & education to arrive at a definitive conclusion for every mark (does ANYone?), but I give it my best based on what I've learned here.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

I voted "Other" because the thing for me is 30% the hunt and 70% the actual location and the history it brings with it. That's why I hunt BMs that are either discs or buildings. Each thing has it's own story to tell and if you are having a hard time finding a BM you can ask a local and you just might get a really awesome story out of it.

I doubt I'd ever feel confident enough to report a BM to the NGS so for me it's completely a personal journey of discovery.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

I voted other HISTORY. Although it also aids all other activities that use them in their detrminations of the Earths Measurement.I wanted to know if Thomas Jefferson set a standard of measurement for the Nation is,that what is mapped out as we see it. Township,Section and Range in the Degree of Acurracy provided in the standard.Townships 6 miles square as can be ,due to the convrgence of the meridians at the poles.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://www.lapurchase.org http://arkansasstateparks.com/lapurchase/ http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

I was torn between #2 and #3, but picked #2. It's a tough poll for me because it mixes two related dimensions and I'm sort of on the opposite ends of each.

I like to be completely accurate, not only in accordance with my own view, but with the other benchmarkers here, and most especially the NGS.

However, I think we're only helping the Government/prof. surveyors a little bit. In my case, I guess none at all, since I don't report to the NGS.

I think that wanting to be as accurate as you possibly can is what makes benchmark hunting completely different from geocaching to me.

They are both hunting games. To use a crude analogy, with geocaching, when you get to the right spot, you find a 'treasure', but in benchmarking, when you get to the right spot, you find a dartboard, and THEN you must try your very best to be as accurate as you can and hit it dead center.

Hittting dead center means finding the right mark and providing good location notes if it is actually there, and providing a not-found report if it actually isn't there.

Cholo writes:

quote:
The possible answer reminded me of a t-shirt I got years ago in Stevens Point, Wi. In Polish it read: "Ja tylko jestem tu po pivo".

Even though I have Polish ancestors and I've visited the country twice, I don't know the language. But I make it my business to always know how to order my favorite beverages wherever I travel.

In all the Slavic languages, pivo = beer.

Cheers!

I am hunting benchmarks because "I just enjoy the hunt" but "I want to be very accurate". I also do it as nano-tourism.

When you decide to spend your summer on the East Coast, that's macro-tourism. When you decide to spend a week in and around New York City, that's tourism. When you decide to take a quick run out to Edison, NJ, to look at the memorial to Thomas A. Edison, that's micro-tourism. When you walk a few blocks through residential neighborhoods to recover the NJ DOT mark on the Route 27 bridge over the Garden State Parkway and, along the way, take note of the condition of the paint on the bridge, the flotsam and jetsam on the shoulders along the highway, the quantity and quality of the traffic at that hour of day, the state of the Hostas and Day Lillies in the yards, and the distinctive Iselin-Woodbridge-Edison-Rahway air quality, that's nano-tourism.

3. How accurate do you think you're going to get with a consumer GPSr, anyway. I figure if I can give the next person looking for a marker to within 15-20 feet when the database coordinates were off by over 200 then I've done someone a service.

TxHiPowr