Most controversial cache location yet.

JohnX

Make sure you click on the the first two links and see. I posted the original link because I found it amazing.

HISTORY

PICTURES

I added the following:

The rest of the tread just degrades to a "did not!" "did to!" waste of time about what is on or off topic. If a moderator want's to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, please do. That should stop all of the self appointed thread police from wasting their time.

Edited by JohnX
I actually do think this is geocaching related, and not off topic.

it is pointing out two of the most complained about hides in one picture.

I think of it as cache satire.

Well, of course I get that. Playground hides and cemetery hides. That's pretty obvious. I'm asking what is the story? Are those photoshopped? Are they real? If real, is there really a cache there? If so, what is the cache? If not, what is the point?

Well, of course I get that. Playground hides and cemetery hides. That's pretty obvious. I'm asking what is the story? Are those photoshopped? Are they real? If real, is there really a cache there? If so, what is the cache? If not, what is the point?

my above quoted post was refering to the post about this being completley off topic.

and i do belive it's a photoshop, but it would be super cool if there was more to it than that.

This thread doesn't belong here. It's completely off-topic.

Since I have read threads devoted only to the topic of the appropriateness of cemetery caches and playground cachesI have no problem posting the link.

I found another post with an interesting link I thought might be worth checking out. Please take special note of the author and click on the link.

A little more about hamsters

http://www.users.uswest.net/~userid946/hampster.htm

Talk about off topic posting. A pot calling the kettle black perhaps? I wonder if the nearly 4,500 posts by that author in just about 2 years were all on topic?

This thread doesn't belong here. It's completely off-topic.

Since I have read threads devoted only to the topic of the appropriateness of cemetery caches and playground cachesI have no problem posting the link.

I found another post with an interesting link I thought might be worth checking out. Please take special note of the author and click on the link.

A little more about hamsters

http://www.users.uswest.net/~userid946/hampster.htm

Talk about off topic posting. A pot calling the kettle black perhaps? I wonder if the nearly 4,500 posts by that author in just about 2 years were all on topic?

Without the thread you are quoting from, that quote means nothing.

Besides, Hamstercaching is a well discussed toping in geocaching forums.

A link to a website called "I am bored" which merely shows a playground with (head)stones but links, in no way, to geocaching, is off-topic and best discussed in the off-topic forum.

So some joker moved some of the headstones from the graveyard to the playground. Probably the same person who took the pictures.

You know you're a geocacher when you see it and think about caching.

Joke or real...those pictures are just disturbing...

However....it DOES give me an idea for a cache.

There's an OOOOOOOOLD cemetery on the edge of the town i grew up in...dating to not long after the town was first settled in the 1780s. its overgrown and wooded now, but you can still see the few remaining standing headstones through the trees. THe local methodist church did do some cleanup there recently...replacing the stones, etc.. Now if i could persuade them to put up a small plaque or sign on the edge of the cemetery with some of the history of both the cemetery and the church and the town...i might like to place a cache near the plaque... You guys have any thoughts?

There's an OOOOOOOOLD cemetery on the edge of the town i grew up in...dating to not long after the town was first settled in the 1780s. its overgrown and wooded now, but you can still see the few remaining standing headstones through the trees. THe local methodist church did do some cleanup there recently...replacing the stones, etc.. Now if i could persuade them to put up a small plaque or sign on the edge of the cemetery with some of the history of both the cemetery and the church and the town...i might like to place a cache near the plaque... You guys have any thoughts?

I do............You grew up in an old cemetery?! Coooolllllll!!!!!

heh:) so dude - where you from? your sense of humor is about the same as mine

hello pot, this is the kettle calling... but isn't discussing the ontopicness of this thread, in itself off topic?

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but I'm going to make the thread on topic. :blink: I have a cache at a park where tombstones are scattered amongst playground equipment in a park in Wheatfield, N.Y. You go to various markers to gather info for the final cache location, which is a decon hanging in a pine tree. I should say was, the cache is disabled, with another Decon on order.

be1abe27-a6cf-4dd6-8af5-f6c3345465da.jpg

a279d9c6-36af-4c0a-9b58-5982a34d190f.jpg

hello pot, this is the kettle calling... but isn't discussing the ontopicness of this thread, in itself off topic?

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but I'm going to make the thread on topic. :blink: I have a cache at a park where tombstones are scattered amongst playground equipment in a park in Wheatfield, N.Y. You go to various markers to gather info for the final cache location, which is a decon hanging in a pine tree. I should say was, the cache is disabled, with another Decon on order.

If that "playground" was in South Carolina, any children found playing in it could be subject to arrest, due to recent legislation.. ;)

That is a great idea for a cache.

...replacing the stones, etc.. Now if i could persuade them to put up a small plaque or sign on the edge of the cemetery with some of the history of both the cemetery and the church and the town...i might like to place a cache near the plaque... You guys have any thoughts?

A local Boy Scout Eagle project was replacing the markers in front of some of the many historic sites we have in town.

If only there were a lamppost there as well. :blink:

It also needs a bridge, and some arborvitae bushes, and perhaps some palm fronds as well. ;)

Actually, in Denver, there is a park called Cheeseman Park that was once a cemetery. It's 320 acres, and supposedly was where all of the murderers, poor people, and other ne'er do wells were buried. Because of that the park wasn't treated too well, and by the late 19th century, cattle had been allowed to graze there and everything was ugly and grown over and fallen into disrepair.

The city of Denver ordered that the bodies be moved, but because most of the people had no family or were criminals or paupers, some of the bodies got left there, or some just got chopped up and put into smaller coffins, sometimes three people in one coffin. Grave robbers came and took things, it was a MESS.

Eventually it all got cleaned up and made into a park, but because there are still bodies under the earth, people say that it's haunted. I'm pretty skeptical about such things, but it's kind of fun to go caching there at night anyway. There's often ghost hunters out with all their equipment.

The history is pretty interesting, that's just a basic overview... slightly off-topic, but hopefully still keeping with the spirit of the thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheesman_Park,_Denver

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/CO-CheesmanPark.html

I think either location is pretty cool, especially if there is a cache there. We're 46 and 42, already have our burial plots bought in a small country Church cemetery and are planning on long flat topped stones propped up at one end so the kids at Church (that already play in the cemetery) can have a slide to play on. They already use the larger stones as home base for tag. I've asked my husband to plan on a small hole being carved into my stone so I can have the kids put a cache on my stone.

If that "playground" was in South Carolina, any children found playing in it could be subject to arrest, due to recent legislation.. :laughing:

:laughing: Sad but true.

Must be a New Yawk thing. :laughing: I can't believe those pictures posted in the OP, that is quite disturbing! Notice how they fenced in the markers in the park my cache is in. There's a third burial plot too, but I don't have any pictures of that one. This cache is only about 7-8 miles from Niagara Falls, but in a semi-rural township without too many caches, and combined with being a multi-cache, it's actually a very low traffic cache. Vacationers rarely hit it. Oh well, at least the residents in my park get plenty of visitors, and I've never heard of any vandalism. Better then being buried in a forgotten neglected cemetery, I suppose.

and i do belive it's a photoshop, but it would be super cool if there was more to it than that.

Naw... look again at the last three. To photoshop and yet retain the correct perspective shifts among those three images would be a nice trick for Hollywood. Not to mention that there don't seem to be any typical photoshopping artifacts. I'd like to hear what Bittsen thinks, though...

From the pictures of the same cemetery in the other link given earlier it kind of looks like the OP's pictures are from a private residence or something like that that happens to have the cemetery as their yard and they just kind of built on top of it with the play equipment. But I don't know. I probably wouldn't have made the same choices as them. I enjoy wandering in old cemeteries waaaaay too much to do something like that to them.

Just click on the link and see.

Unbelieveable

So you don't have to read past this post I am quoting the only useful post that follows:

Yeah, off topic, but still very bizarre.

I googled around a brief bit and so far, it looks to be a real place in upstate New York named Rhinebeck Cemetery. More pics here.

Yikes! :laughing:

The rest of the tread just degrades to a "did not!" "did to!" waste of time about what is on or off topic. If a moderator want's to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, please do. That should stop all of the self appointed thread police from wasting their time.

This is a photo chop, and a bad on at that.. Funny, but bad. The other one however, I can see that being real. You can see that the rest of the pics on the flicker page are what was used to chop into the playground pics.

When you see a tombstone that is next to a sand box, and then the original pic of the same tombstone in the actual cemetery setting its even more of a dead give away. Beside the lighting and shadows all completely wrong.

Edited by mchaos

This is a photo chop, and a bad on at that.. Funny, but bad. The other one however, I can see that being real. You can see that the rest of the pics on the flicker page are what was used to chop into the playground pics.

When you see a tombstone that is next to a sand box, and then the original pic of the same tombstone in the actual cemetery setting its even more of a dead give away. Beside the lighting and shadows all completely wrong.

You are quite wrong. I edited my original post to include these two links.

HISTORY

PICTURES

HISTORY

PICTURES

Which makes me believe even more this is a prank, especially with that Q&A session on the first link. My cache, on the other hand, is quite real. With the standard disclaimer, of course:

**This cache is not near any tombstones, no night caching permitted.

P.S. Either you're trolling us, or just posting some ridiculous nonsense from internet message boards. None of this crap shows up on Google with a search of Rhinebeck cemetery NY. Duchess County, correct? It's behind a freaking church. I Google street viewed it. There is no playground there. GOTCHA. And some of us. Me included (for a while).

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

HISTORY

PICTURES

Which makes me believe even more this is a prank, especially with that Q&A session on the first link. My cache, on the other hand, is quite real. With the standard disclaimer, of course:

**This cache is not near any tombstones, no night caching permitted.

I saw that first link when I was checking things out. I discredited it the second I saw this at the very top of the page : "From New York, original humor & commentary by Brian Sack.

Subject to all the flexible quality standards of internet self-publishing." The second link with the pictures, though, seems credible.

as soon as I saw the pics I got on google and found that q and a page, and I really don't think i will belive it untill I see it.

I so want it to be a real place, but my mind still has doubts.

The pictures don't look "right" to me, but I can't be more specific than that because I don't know what I'm talking about.

heh:) so dude - where you from? your sense of humor is about the same as mine

Smyrna, TN.

Sometimes things just hit me funny.