Flamed for logging a maintenance report

SeekerOfTheWay

So i did some caching out of town in St. Augustine. Found some good caches, mostly 35mm film cases. The locations were fun!

i came across two caches that needed repair. This specific one had water in the bottom of the film canister and the previous log and geocache paper were soaked and stuffed down into the bottom, nearly disintegrated. The other log was wet too, i tried to sign it but it was so wet it got ripped.

i logged a Needs Maintenance report and was called a newb who needs to be slapped. Wow. Harsh. The CO stated that it's just how Florida is. This is untrue as the other 5 caches of the same type were dry.

i though CO liked to hear how their cache is doing and that they are supposed to keep it in usable condition. Am i wrong? What's the point of signing a log if it just will be thrown away because it's not readable and in a wet ball?

Here's the report and snide comment:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ec-7ab257a51b69

i may be a newb to geocaching, but i have common sense...it doesn't take years of experience to know a log is too wet!

Thoughts? Should i not log maintenance reports? Does it just make CO's mad?

There was a whole thread about this somewhere on here where some cache owners got all up in arms about having a NM logged on a cache with a wet log. You're not alone.

I personally don't carry replacement cache supplies on me and would likely log a NM as well if I couldn't sign the log in any way.

There was a whole thread about this somewhere on here where some cache owners got all up in arms about having a NM logged on a cache with a wet log. You're not alone.

I personally don't carry replacement cache supplies on me and would likely log a NM as well if I couldn't sign the log in any way.

Ok, thanks. i'll search for that thread now and read it. i'll likely log Needs Maintenance reports if needed, because i would appreciate if someone did the same for my caches (when i place).

i didn't mind the flaming so much if i'd been mean about it or was nitpicking. But being rude to those new to the game is lame. i like this community so far and i've only encountered really nice folks so far. So i'll just let this go.

They can smack me in real life if they're really that upset about being notified of a soaked log.

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

You're right to log a NM, but I have to admit -- I usually don't, for the reason you've just discovered. People can be awfully thin-skinned about their caches. I'll note in a regular 'found it' that the log is soaked (and I carry a felt-tip pen that will write on the soggiest paper!).

i may do that from now on. Make a note in my Found Report. Many others did that on this cache and since it was still wet i figured the CO didn't notice. That's why i did the report. Oh well, it's noted for others.

I don't care if it's a cache in St Augustine where it may rain 360 days a year or a cache in St Fagan's, south Wales where it may seem like it rains 360 days a year - that was a snarky, rude response to your NM log.

Shame on that cache owner. :blink:

Go and log another NM on the cache and put, "BTW... did I mention your cache is wet?"

:D

MrsB ;)

I don't care if it's a cache in St Augustine where it may rain 360 days a year or a cache in St Fagan's, south Wales where it may seem like it rains 360 days a year - that was a snarky, rude response to your NM log.

Shame on that cache owner. :blink:

Go and log another NM on the cache and put, "BTW... did I mention your cache is wet?"

:D

MrsB ;)

Ha! Not a bad idea. Actually i may just avoid their caches so i don't waste my time. Finding the cache is great fun, but i like to at least sign a log. This specific location isn't out of the way. i'd been there twice before cache hunting. One for the tour, then on a trolley stop.

If this CO doesn't care that the logs are trashed they may as well just leave an empty container (which is just trash).

i will start to carry extra paper (little ziplock bags) and some emergency cache repair supplies. i just don't expect to fix every cache i find! Ha

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

wow. I just found one today that when we found the cache, it was open and the contents were spread out and wet. I did manage to sign the soggy log, but also threw in a spare log in a plastic baggie, a new pencil, pencil sharpener, and even a little swag.

I just marked it as found and explained a little on the condition that I had found it in because my notes said there may have been a travel bug in it. Me and the kids searched fairly extensively for any signs of bugs but couldn't find any.

I did send a private message to the CO and fully explained everything and mentioned that it was with the best intentions. It will be interesting to see what I hear back from the CO.

I go out of my way not to rude on line to people. I guess when I go up to St. Augustine (and I will this year), I will just ignore his/her caches. Just more time for me to do a walking tour of the place. Or rent a scooter and run around.

<I like St. Augustine,there is always something I haven't seen>

Should i not log maintenance reports? Does it just make CO's mad?

This CO reacted in a jerk-like manner. Please don't judge all COs by this response; many of us would want to know if there's a problem with our cache. NM logs that I have posted have mostly been ignored, however.

Nancy

Edited by DoubleBent

Maybe one of the rites of passage of graduating from newbie to veteran is to not log NM for wet / full logs, despite that is what a "Needs Maintenance" log is for?

I must admit, I've pretty much given up on logging NM these days. If the log is full or wet, I will fix it if I can, and note it in my "Found It" log. A cache owner who's attentive will fix it. One who's not will ignore a NM. And as AuntieWeasel said, some people are extremely thin-skinned / snarky.

I've also found a few geocaches that are maintained unofficially by the community, because the cache owner has died. The unofficial adopter(s) of the cache has no way of clearing the maintenance flag.

Back on topic, I don't see anything wrong with your NM log (though I don't know what it was like before it got edited). The CO's response seems to be over-reaction. Don't let it spoil your day. Happy caching.

Sounds like a great use for the "Ignore all caches by user" feature. Too bad that feature doesn't exist...

That would be a great feature. i thought there was a find cache by owner option...in my town i started out finding caches by a couple that has a good reputation. That way i knew the caches would be there and in good shape bc they check on them. Then i branched out!

Maybe one of the rites of passage of graduating from newbie to veteran is to not log NM for wet / full logs, despite that is what a "Needs Maintenance" log is for?

I must admit, I've pretty much given up on logging NM these days. If the log is full or wet, I will fix it if I can, and note it in my "Found It" log. A cache owner who's attentive will fix it. One who's not will ignore a NM. And as AuntieWeasel said, some people are extremely thin-skinned / snarky.

I've also found a few geocaches that are maintained unofficially by the community, because the cache owner has died. The unofficial adopter(s) of the cache has no way of clearing the maintenance flag.

Back on topic, I don't see anything wrong with your NM log (though I don't know what it was like before it got edited). The CO's response seems to be over-reaction. Don't let it spoil your day. Happy caching.

My log was only edited for spelling. i left a nice Found log right before. If he would look at my (newb) logs, i'm never mean or rude. That's just me. :blink:

But this does teach me to carry cache supplies in my backpack. Since i haven't hidden any yet i just didn't have anything for caches other than a pen and trinkets.

i'm just going to go by what i'd like for now. When i hide i'd like to know of any issues because i take pride in keeping my things nice and purposeful. To each their own.

i guess i felt picked on for having only 30 finds, but oh well. Have to start somewhere! i'm having a blast still. Lots to learn though about geocaching activity and community! Yay

Really? When was this decided?

Nothing is decided -- arguing the minutiae is what the forums are for. But, judging from reading other people's logs as well as my own, most cachers I've encountered arrive at this place.

If it needs simple maintenance, it'll go in a regular Found It log.

If it actually needs archiving (i.e. people have been logging problems with it for a while with no response), people will escalate to Needs Maintenance logs.

A Needs Archiving seems to get posted only when everyone is exasperated with the CO.

The spirit of the law seems to be one step below the letter of the law. Perhaps it's different where you are.

Edited by AuntieWeasel

First off, film canisters make lousy cache containers. They all leak, in Florida and any place else where they're placed outdoors.

We log NM's and appreciate it when our caches get NM's. Haven't had a 'false' one yet.

I think most CO's take pride in their hides and would want to know if their cache has issues.

Then again, there are those who put a log and a pencil into a 35mm canister and heave it into a bush from a moving car and call it a hide.

Keep logging the NM's and DNF's. You're helping the CO, and the next cacher.

BTW-There's someone around here who has the slogan "Every time you hide a film canister, a fairy dies"

I'll buy that.

First off, film canisters make lousy cache containers. They all leak, in Florida and any place else where they're placed outdoors.

We log NM's and appreciate it when our caches get NM's. Haven't had a 'false' one yet.

I think most CO's take pride in their hides and would want to know if their cache has issues.

Then again, there are those who put a log and a pencil into a 35mm canister and heave it into a bush from a moving car and call it a hide.

Keep logging the NM's and DNF's. You're helping the CO, and the next cacher.

BTW-There's someone around here who has the slogan "Every time you hide a film canister, a fairy dies"

I'll buy that.

LOL re the slogan! In St. Augustine most of the caches i found were 35mm film canisters! i was surprised! Here in Englewood (where i started caching) i have found a wide variety of containers very cleverly camo'ed and HIPS. No film canisters though.

i guess in higher muggle areas you *have to use the film canisters...? i don't know. The one i logged a Maintenance report for is wet because it's placed in bushes that get soaked with a sprinkler. That's what the workers in the ticket booth told me. That it's always wet inside the canister.

i just suggested to the CO that the cache (film canister) be placed inside a waterproof bag so we can sign the log. i think that's an easy enough suggestion. If i'd had a bag, i would have done it myself. Maybe another cacher will.

Anyway, i know i'm a newb and i love learning and experiencing this new thing. i just didn't like the smacking comment and sarcasm.

Also, learned that 35mm film canisters aren't water tight! Something i never thought about before! Ha

Another thing that concerned me was that this wet cache is in a HIGH muggle (tourist) area. If a non cacher found this cache they may just throw it out. The geocache paper inside that explains what it's all about is also soaked and unreadable.

Also, learned that 35mm film canisters aren't water tight! Something i never thought about before! Ha

some are, some aren't. generally the white semi-transparent ones hold up much better than the black ones with the gray lid.

Nothing is decided -- arguing the minutiae is what the forums are for. But, judging from reading other people's logs as well as my own, most cachers I've encountered arrive at this place.

If it actually needs archiving (i.e. people have been logging problems with it for a while with no response), people will escalate to Needs Maintenance logs.

A Needs Archiving seems to get posted only when everyone is exasperated with the CO.

The spirit of the law seems to be one step below the letter of the law. Perhaps it's different where you are.

I'm just as clinical/jaded as the next cacher. I know that a poorly maintained cache is rarely corrected after the second report. I don't agree that posting a NM has anything to do with being friendly or otherwise. The only time I don't post a NM (when I think it should) is because one was already posted.

If you are able to determine a poster is a newbie then you should also be able to determine whether or not their issue is valid or misguided and simply respond in an appropriate manner.

A veteran telling a newbie that yeah they shouldn't have told the cache owner and knowing that is part of being a veteran is baloney. I'll log a NM when I think it needs one and being able to withstand the snarky replies is part of what makes me a veteran.

edited for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

"The one i logged a Maintenance report for is wet because it's placed in bushes that get soaked with a sprinkler. "

Bushes, huh?

Was it within throwing distance of the nearest road or parking lot?

Yes, it was in a parking lot. Right in front of where one would buy tickets for a tour. Why? i don't get it...

As a completely useless point of information, though, a 35mm film canister is the perfect size to hold British £2 coins. One canister will hold £34 worth which, at current exchange rate is...$49.4785.

Haha! Good info! i'd look for *those caches. i only found pennies in the film containers i found!

i actually didn't mind the film containers. i didn't take pics of them like i do with creative containers. But many of the locations that the film canisters were in were pretty neat!

One thing that thrills me is when i find out how long a cache has been hidden in that area. Then i'm so impressed with how dry the contents are and clean the inside is! i took pics of the cache containers that i enjoyed and impressed me by surviving the Florida elements!

But a nice location and a boring container is cool too! Just wet logs get me down, and mean (or lazy) CO's! Lol

From the description of the cache in question:

This truly is a really bright spot in beautiful, downtown St. Augustine. If you haven't been here before, now's the time to check it out. Why now? Well OBVIOUSLY because I just dropped a micro here! Any other questions? I apologize for the paperwork not being up to my usual high standards. I couldn't pass up this spot and all I had with me was the junky... oops! I mean generic paperwork I use to replace OTHER people's damaged logs with. I know it's a huge disappointment but you'll live so get over it.

-Not up to their 'usual high standards' ?

-'Junky' aka Generic paperwork ?

-OTHER peoples damaged logs ?

Maybe the log was made from a paper towel? Bounty, the quicker picker-upper!

I think I'd have to pass on this one.

A veteran telling a newbie that yeah they shouldn't have told the cache owner and knowing that is part of being a veteran is baloney. I'll log a NM when I think it needs one and being able to withstand the snarky replies is part of what makes me a veteran.

a) he didn't actually say that and :blink: if I reach a squillion finds, and I'll still hate a snarky reply as much as the first time.

We of the geocaching community are often not so strong in the social skills department. It is all part of having the magical, mystical geek gene, I suspect. It doesn't take many episodes of logging, "hey, that wasn't a great place for a cache, what with all the junkies and schizophrenics pushing shopping carts" and having the CO go bzzzzt like a watchspring before I learned to be very, very circumspect in my logs.

TFTC is about the most critical thing I post anymore.

"hey, that wasn't a great place for a cache, what with all the junkies and schizophrenics pushing shopping carts"

Auntie, you went caching in Olneyville?

Maybe you could send some of that British Sterling back this way so I can restock your cache?

:blink:

(edited for fat fingers)

Edited by JASTA 11

a) he didn't actually say that and :blink: if I reach a squillion finds, and I'll still hate a snarky reply as much as the first time.

We of the geocaching community are often not so strong in the social skills department. It is all part of having the magical, mystical geek gene, I suspect. It doesn't take many episodes of logging, "hey, that wasn't a great place for a cache, what with all the junkies and schizophrenics pushing shopping carts" and having the CO go bzzzzt like a watchspring before I learned to be very, very circumspect in my logs.

Funny! i'm not very social myself, like to have a lot of alone time. Even so, i'm not mean either. i wouldn't say someone needs a smack.

Anyway, i've decided to go about my business and write my semi detailed logs. i like writing them and reading them, as well and taking and posting pics. If the CO has something important to say they can email me (a few have, very nice folks). Otherwise, i'll chalk this CO up as jaded or give him a pass. Maybe he's had a bad day.

A related question that this cache made me think of when i opened the cache...what do the CO's actually do with their logs? Keep them and frame them? Just save them? Throw the logs away? When i saw the first log was ruined and second log was soaked i felt bad for this CO thinking they'd be bummed because they won't get to read the logs.

When i sign a log i usually spend some time (if possible) reading the other signatures and dates and comments. It's awesome!

Edited by SeekerOfTheWay

Why not? I lived in Pawtucket for years.

It wasn't Olneyville, though. I'm trying to remember what rundown ex-textiles town seemed to be entirely populated by unkempt men pushing shopping carts and talking to the sky. Nerves would remember, her being a neuro nurse and all.

Sure. I have a lot of respect for Chrysalides and I'm pretty sure he can take a "What the...?" from time to time.

That's my point, snarkiness ain't got nothing to do with dealing with an problem. If someone wants to give it, look past the angst and address the issue.

Why not? I lived in Pawtucket for years.

It wasn't Olneyville, though. I'm trying to remember what rundown ex-textiles town seemed to be entirely populated by unkempt men pushing shopping carts and talking to the sky. Nerves would remember, her being a neuro nurse and all.

Woonsocket maybe?

Ever go down to Wes' Rib House (..."on Dike Street...down in Olneyville....")

:blink: Thank you, thank you very much ;)

Sorry. Getting off topic.

That seems to be pretty much the way it works around here. After a few people mention the issue in a "found it" log and it's not taken care of, someone will post a "needs maintenance".

But, I'm really disappointed in this CO's response to the NM. If they don't want to maintain the cache (which includes providing a usable log) archive it. The snarky response was inappropriate.

Woonsocket maybe?

Ever go down to Wes' Rib House (..."on Dike Street...down in Olneyville....")

Did more than a few in Woonsocket, so I don't think that was it.

Used to go to Wes' in the original location, when Wes was still there. He had an old blind dog that slept in the kitchen doorway and wagged its tail if you talked to it. My, that was some fine barbecue. He was open, like, midnight to three.

Oh, now, no fair...it's 1:30 in the a.m. here and I'm jonesing for Providence.

Topic? Oh. Right. Sorry.

that is not true, maybe some really old weathered ones, but 99% of the ones we found, and we did find our share, were all dry

i know many cachers are biased and hate the film canisters but they do make a good water proof container

most recently, 5 days ago to be precise, we found one that was in water in some wetlands after it fell off the branch was on and was still completely dry

002-16.jpg

as for reply to the OP, the one being rude is the cache owner telling you to replace the log....its his cache, his responsibility as per the acknowledgment when he placed the cache

Edited by t4e

As a completely useless point of information, though, a 35mm film canister is the perfect size to hold British £2 coins. One canister will hold £34 worth which, at current exchange rate is...$49.4785.

I'm having a hard time envisioning this. Please send me a film canister full of these coins so that I have a better understanding of what you are saying.

POIs redone for next weeks trip. CO has been ignored. It's bad enough when a CO does not do maintenance, but to insult a fellow cacher for pointing out that the log is mush is inexcusable.

Yes, agreed. Regardless of this CO's response to me, i now think logging a Needs Maintenance is appropriate. Even if the CO doesn't replace the log, at least the Needs maintenance log will alert the next cachers to bring some paper! Then all will be good again. :blink:

Yes, agreed. Regardless of this CO's response to me, i now think logging a Needs Maintenance is appropriate. Even if the CO doesn't replace the log, at least the Needs maintenance log will alert the next cachers to bring some paper! Then all will be good again. :blink:

you can even take it to the next level. keep a watch on that cache and if people still report the log as being wet, you have my blessing for posting a "should be archived" log.

Edited by dfx

Rude is suggesting ANYONE needs to be smacked. Rude is NOT telling someone that THEIR cache is in need of maintenance. Immature is reacting like this jerk did.

THIS is why i'm glad Geocaching is a solo sport.

THIS is why i hate people.

You did the right thing, Seeker. Ignore the troll.

or you could just log a SBA with a note to the reviewer asking to disable the cache until the owner does something about repairing it. Not sure a reviewer would appreciate the attitude that was presented by the CO to the original NM. Could create a pi$$ing contest that could get somebody banned if they weren't careful! LOL

Thanks for the support guys! i'm not put off to geocaching or its members. Like i said everyone i've talked with so far has been very nice, save the report.

i don't think i'll log it as a Needs Archived though because it's been there 8 years i think. i feel like i am too inexperienced in the social aspect. Maybe another cacher will look at it and decide to take action further. The Needs Maintenance log is all i'll do for now.

i just hope the cachers who find it keep replacing or drying the log!