Source for Cheap Ammo Cans?

TeamTozzo

Hi Everyone!

I hid my first cache but hated using the lock and lock. Does anyone have a good source for 50 cal ammo cans? The cheapest I can find them is 25.00 locally, and 8.00 online, but the shipping brings it up to about 20.00 anyway?

Thanks everyone,

Bill

Army surpluss stores are the best spots to shop for them. If you live anywhere near a base you can find them pretty easily. They have gone up some, and sometimes can be hard to find.

If I was rich I'd start a company that manufactured Ammo cans just for geocaching. Shipping may be a little expensive though :blink:

Hi Everyone!

I hid my first cache but hated using the lock and lock. Does anyone have a good source for 50 cal ammo cans? The cheapest I can find them is 25.00 locally, and 8.00 online, but the shipping brings it up to about 20.00 anyway?

Thanks everyone,

Bill

i dont know your location but here we have a cerrogordoreuseit site in yahoo groups.. post things on there that you want or would like to trade even just give away - i was looking for an old crank style meat grinder and got one with all the diffrent plates for free!.. worth checking out-

Edited by chai_latte

Hi Everyone!

Thanks everyone,

Bill

I dont know what part of US you are from but I buy them in So. Cal at most any rural flea market for 5-6 bucks a can, either popular size...Niland Ca on the Salton sea is where I bought the last 10

You are better of finding a local military surplus place to drive to, and by them there. You got to realize that when we pull out of Iraq, you will see the market flooded with military surplus.

The ammo cans would cost $50 to $70, if they were new. So $20 seems cheap, but $5 each is cheaper if you drive to a local military surplus center.

It seems the only way to get them cheap these days is to go to an online military surplus auction and buy a pallet full. Comes to about 2-3 bucks a can when you do this. Of course you need to get the cans home and find a place to store hundreds of ammo cans.

You can then keep what you need and sell the rest to the local community at a modest profit. Most people will eagerly pay 4 or 5 bucks a can. I've known some local geocaching associations that have done this.

I have noticed in the last couple months the price has shot up on these.

You use to be able them up for ~$10 each from some major retail chains. Now they are pushing ~$25+ each.

I prefer the ammo cans over the lock & locks, but a decent ammo cache can be pretty expensive to setup these days.

I have noticed in the last couple months the price has shot up on these.

You use to be able them up for ~$10 each from some major retail chains. Now they are pushing ~$25+ each.

I prefer the ammo cans over the lock & locks, but a decent ammo cache can be pretty expensive to setup these days.

I wouldn't pay anything more than 5 or 6 dollars for one.

I checked one surplus store that was selling them for $20. I went to my usual store and they were $9. The owner of the latter store apologized and said that the price had been driven up because people were stockpiling ammo in case the government imposed restrictions. He expected the price to drop again.

I've found that they are getting so expensive that they are now disappearing quickly after I've put them out. Out of all the types of caches I've put out, they are the fastest to disappear. Decons are cheaper and water tight.

Not when cachers fail to close the lid. When was the last time you bought decon containers? They sell for about the same price as ammo cans these days.

Not when cachers fail to close the lid. When was the last time you bought decon containers? They sell for about the same price as ammo cans these days.

Not that I'm trying to sell anything, but I have found new decon type waterproof containers on E-Bay for about $2.00 each. They are green (but not the same green) and has writing already printed on it stating that it's an official geocache.

Edited by capdude

Hi Everyone!

Thanks everyone,

Bill

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ShopCart.as...q%3dammo%2bcans

I quoted out 5 .50 cal ammo cans. Total price: $66.51 Shipped. That's under $14 per can. Of course I'd just go pick them up since I live in Arlington, but you get the point :P

Mind you, single cans shipped run around $21, but if bought in an reasonable quantity, the price drops to a reasonable amount.

Edited by Robbzilla

Hi Everyone!

Thanks everyone,

Bill

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ShopCart.as...q%3dammo%2bcans

I quoted out 5 .50 cal ammo cans. Total price: $66.51 Shipped. That's under $14 per can. Of course I'd just go pick them up since I live in Arlington, but you get the point :laughing:

Mind you, single cans shipped run around $21, but if bought in an reasonable quantity, the price drops to a reasonable amount.

Cheaperthandirt used to sell a "6 pack" of the .30 cal for $19 plus shipping which brought the price to about $30 or $5 per can. They is no longer cheaper than dirt.