Garmin Custom Maps for Alberta

Chrome Sushi

Yes, I have the Ibycus maps. I'm thinking of the Garmin Custom Maps - i.e. user-generated overlays to use along with the regular GPS maps.

What he's talking about is http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/o...rail/custommaps

At the moment, only a very limited range of GPS support this feature, which is why you won't find a whole huge number of people using it.

I've been thinking about goofing around with them a bit, but I don't have a GPS that supports them.

I've got a couple of neat ideas, but with no way to test them, there really isn't any incentive to develop them.

Dale

What he's talking about is http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/o...rail/custommaps

At the moment, only a very limited range of GPS support this feature, which is why you won't find a whole huge number of people using it.

I've been thinking about goofing around with them a bit, but I don't have a GPS that supports them.

I've got a couple of neat ideas, but with no way to test them, there really isn't any incentive to develop them.

Dale

They use the KMZ format, so you can play around with them in Google Earth, but yeah there's not a lot of use to it if you don't have an Oregon or Dakota to use them in the field. I believe Garmin's new models will have them too, so hopefully that spurs some development.