Future Oregon Owner

I have my sights set on a x50 oregon, but am leery to get one because of the rebate out now. My thinking is that after the rebate expires, Garmin will put out a new Oregon model (600 650, etc) before the year is over. But at this point I'm doing a gamble where I could get the $50 rebate now or wait until (if) they release a new model. I like the built in camera of the 550, but I hear the 450 is newer and a slightly better screen.

Aside from gpsfix, any other good sites that tend to spill the beans early of upcoming gps devices? Any upcoming gadget trade shows before the end of 2010?

And if $ doesn't really matter, which would you go for a 450t or 550t and why?

I'm glad you asked about this. I have a 550T and have no problems with the screen at all, many times I can even read the screen in the sun without my glasses. I have no idea what everyone is whining about! I came very close to passing this model up because of all the negative comments about screen readability in the sunlight and now I am really happy I didn't. Maybe Garmin did some improvements, maybe this is a case of folks talking about something they heard second/third hand, I don't know.....I will say in my opinion the screen is every bit as readable in the direct sun as any other touch screen I have seen. Much better than the Endura series.

I'm finding the camera very handy, it's always right there when you want it and it's waterproof too. One note though, if you're a hunter/fisherman you need to remember that whenever you send someone a picture you are also sending them the location of where it was taken. It's one thing to brag about a great days fishing, another thing completely to tell everyone your spot!

I would advise you to buy from someone with a good return policy and check it out for yourself, I found the folks here very helpful.

I've got the cash for a 550t right now. Problem is I get the itch to spend money as soon as I get it. Thanks for the screen info and I guess it makes sense not to release a new handheld after putting out the 62 series. Good price on the 550t off that site.

Edited by chipster2k

Sometimes this site is a bit slow, if you push enter it works even if it does not respond.

Anyway the 550 if VERY good visible in the sun under the right angle with the backlight off, the horror stories you read is hearsay, for the rest the gps is also near to perfect.

And if you $$$ really matter don't take a T model get it free from

gpsfiledepot.com

Sometimes this site is a bit slow, if you push enter it works even if it does not respond.

Anyway the 550 if VERY good visible in the sun under the right angle with the backlight off, the horror stories you read is hearsay, for the rest the gps is also near to perfect.

And if you $$$ really matter don't take a T model get it free from

gpsfiledepot.com

I'll second not getting the T model. For the extra money for the T models, you can get much better topo maps online. The camera on the 550 is invaluable too. You can always snag pictures of your caching because the camera is always with you. I picked my Oregon up on Ebay for around $425. I've never had a problem with it and I don't suspect I will, and with the new beta firmware out it's probably the best GPSr on the market right now.

Here's the transcript, verbatim from Garmin.com <snip contents since the post is just prior to this one>

Your email correspondence just shows that Garmin was trying to work with you and you pulled the plug prematurely. They were even nice to agree to refund your money for the DVD as long as you show you returned your unit.

I'm not seeing how GARMIN SUX here.

*** If you're gonna spam this everywhere, then I'm just going to cut and paste my response.

Are there any free maps that include Digital Elevation Model data (3d view)? Is the 3d mode not that special?

And these free maps, essentially there are enough of them to cover the entire US (equivalent to 24k)? Birdseye a good alternative (24k)?

The garmin 24k maps that are out there, does garmin ever have download updates available for them... do they really ever need updating?

In regards to the touch part of the screen, how fast of a response compared to ipod touch or iphone is an oregon? Example, seems that auto gps units such as tomtom have a slower response time vs. my ipod touch. Guessing that's just the type of touchscreen or cpu speed of the device that decreases the touch delay.

Edited by chipster2k
Are there any free maps that include Digital Elevation Model data (3d view)? Is the 3d mode not that special?

And these free maps, essentially there are enough of them to cover the entire US (equivalent to 24k)? Birdseye a good alternative (24k)?

The garmin 24k maps that are out there, does garmin ever have download updates available for them... do they really ever need updating?

As far as the DEM data, I don't know. I know I don't use the 3d view. I can get similar info by looking at a topo map. I believe GPSfiledepot.com is where the free maps are. Birdseye gives you the same view as using Google Earth, in fact most of the images are the same. There is no topo info in Birdseye. Your topo maps will overlay on top of the Birdseye info though.

In regards to the touch part of the screen, how fast of a response compared to ipod touch or iphone is an oregon? Example, seems that auto gps units such as tomtom have a slower response time vs. my ipod touch. Guessing that's just the type of touchscreen or cpu speed of the device that decreases the touch delay.

It's slightly slower but were talking fractions of a second and it feels like it's more of a software operation than it is the hardware taking time. If that sounds correct.

The oregon 450 is an improvement over the 400t. From what I have seen the 62 models will not have any improvements in chipsets and accuracy. Hold out for the Indiana or Ohio Models some years down the road.;) If you get the 450 conntact me for some free help. :D

I'm an Oregon 450 user who could do with some help/information.

I am using the "Found" feature on geocaches and adding a log to download. The capacity for log information seems to be very limited, probably bo more than about 10 words, I haven't counted them but that's about all. Is this a limitation of the Oregon or am doing something wrong?

The downlog log thing is working fine it's just the limited number of words that bothers me.

Thanks ;)

I am using the "Found" feature on geocaches and adding a log to download. The capacity for log information seems to be very limited, probably bo more than about 10 words, I haven't counted them but that's about all. Is this a limitation of the Oregon or am doing something wrong?

the text input is quite limited on the oregon. you're not really supposed to put your whole online log there, it's meant for "field notes", which are short and concise. when you're back at a PC, use the field notes to refresh you memory and compose your actual log from that.

And just as a reminder to all -- avoid using the " character in your field notes if you upload them directly to gc.com. It scrambles up the parsing badly, and you'll find missing entries in your upload as a result. The " is used internally in the field note entries to help identify the fields.